I just folded my first protein - Page 15

Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

I want to fold at home (and at work)

I have 2 Linux boxes that pretty much loaf most of the time and I have downloaded the FAH executable, which I'll be installing on one of the PC's momentarily.

My question is: how do I join the JL team and make sure that my contributions are worthwhile? (to the JL team, screw science )

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom...
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

All you gotta do is when prompted for the team number enter 36480...

Cool, thanks!
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Dang...... So, I started up a new session on this w2k/ubuntu machine under windows earlier. It's an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 1GB RAM and a Geforce4 Ti 4400. My machine rebooted itself twice over a 4 hour, or so, period. And I started sweating in here, so the next time it rebooted itself I went into the bios and saw that the MB temp was 102F and the CPU was at 143.5F. That's after it rebooted and had a couple of minutes to cool down.

I shutdown F@H on this machine and the room is starting to cool back down. The computer case was getting hot to the touch.

:wipessweatfrombrowsmilie:

Dang... it just started pouring rain with marble sized hail!!
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

who here clusters?, idealy you'd gain more points on each work unit by clustering and finishing the wu faster, am i correct, or is quanity a better way to gain points. (I know quanity is good for research, but i want to beat ms soon)

And fr those who cluster just wondering you setup, and if you have any good tuts/distros to use.

edit: just added a cel 1.76ghz ClusterKnoppix machine
    Last edited by thaddaeus; 04-05-2005 at 08:51 PM.
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

bs_2003, you may want to invest in a new, better heatsink fan for that pc. and a bit of Arctic Silver too, do you have any other case fans running at all? Or is the case blocked from good airflow? Just some thoughts, a few fans far cheaper than a new mobo/cpu combo?!?!

On a different note, is the size of the file from FAH have anything to do with the complexity of the work unit.. as in if on the slower machine, (Linuxbox) would it be beneficial to tick the check mark for do not allow files over 5mb in size???? OR... can even a small work unit be real complex and take a long time?

The machine has 3 case fans, 2 fans in the power supply, and the fan on the CPU.

The WU it got was 2500 frames and it cranked out about 125 frames in short order. Maybe, if I decide to do it again I will double check the 5MB size limit thing. I think I unselected, or didn't select, that when I initially set it up on this machine. (I'm in ubuntu on this machine now.)
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

wow, that seems odd that the cpu is getting that hot I imagine you do have thermal grease, (Arctic Silver ) or something close, only thing I can think of is try remove and re-seating the heatsink fan with new thermal grease to make sure that the heat sink is making good contact. /shrug, trying to help you avoid having to get new system.

you wouldn't happen to be overclocking it by chance?, just a thought as a lot of new mobos now have overclocking support built into them and somthing may have accedently been set wrong.
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

Nope, no overclocking. Just the same setup I've had for a few years now. Actually, I'm not going to be troubleshooting this any more. I have 4 other PC's running F@H at the moment. That's enough for now.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

MS is still sitting 35 days ahead. We need more members if we're gonna chase em down any faster.

I added a PII 450 but it's having trouble connecting to the server for some reason.

Wow, my laptop is still chugging away at the work unit it was assigned 4 or 5 days ago, and it's only about 1/3 of the way done. Each percent is taking about 2.5 hours to complete. I realize that this is normal for a slower computer, but my laptop is generally fast enough that 3 or 4 days is as long as it takes. I'm gonna get some serious points when that baby finishes

And my 400 Mhz work box is also taking an eternity, but it is 400 Mhz after all.

As you can see this is now a sticky thread!

Here's a Howto for those who aren't sure how to start.

Originally posted by ions
    As you can see this is now a sticky thread!

Here's a Howto for those who aren't sure how to start.
    W00t, I created a sticky thread! I feel so proud, now only if I had time to do something more productive
    :wq

Hey guys, I'm new, I tried doing this a while ago and didn't have the computing time/power.

I just set it up on my laptop, P-M 1.7ghz and my desktop P3 933mhz. I'm trying to get a few other older boxes to add it to.

Is it possible to have several windows machine's work on the same WU?

EDIT: I don't want to kill my laptop, is there any chance of it overheating? How can I prevent that w/o dramatically descreasing folding performance?
    Last edited by pz Mike zq; 04-09-2005 at 01:43 AM.