I just folded my first protein - Page 5

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

If anyones intrested i just started some more distributed computing stuff for the SETI project, This is not as important as folding protein, but its gui is much cooler

download the program, and join the team. So far havn't had any problems runnign both F@H ad S@H
    togather, i see very little drop in my WU rate so far

Justlinux SETI
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

No offence but Seti is a waste of time. At least the folding program has tangible benefits to research and ultimately people's lives. I can see the allure of the geek factor and a cool gui but when compared to something like F@H it seems pretty sad. The folding research goes toward Ahlzeimers, cancer, and more. Seti analyzes radio telescope data. My intention is not to put anything down but there's no comparison in importance here.

thaddaeus, this was not directed at you specifically. I am just making a pre-emptive comparison for anyone who is unsure which project they would like to support.

Originally posted by thaddaeus
    its gui is much cooler
    Heh... whatever floats your boat. I use the console version. I don't know how much processing power goes into drawing pretty proteins, but if its more than zero, I consider it a waste.

I'd actually given some thought to SETI, but decided I wanted something more... immediately useful. I'm sure the LGMs will camp out on Parliament Hill and rap with the Prime Minster when they're good and ready.

But with F@H... who knows? The life I can help in assisting research may well be someone in my family. Maybe even my own.

- T.

Originally posted by tlyons
    But with F@H... who knows? The life I can help in assisting research may well be someone in my family. Maybe even my own.
    My thoughts exactly.

Oh i completly agree that SETI is a waste of time, then why would i do it, the Geek Factor of Course, ia actually could care less about the gui, and anyoen trying to decide between the two shoudl defantly go with F@H before S@H. I personally don't believe in any inteligant life outside our world, thats not to say there isn't life but nothing as bright as we are.

Actually i'm thinking of even dropping it all if i don't complete a WU for S@H soon, its been going for 20 hrs and so far only 5%, its been only like two weeks for F@H and i'm at 14 WU
    Last edited by thaddaeus; 03-15-2005 at 11:28 PM.
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

HA!

What a depressing thought, that we are alone in the universe....
    I've always hoped that they would reveal themselves in my lifetime.
    sigh.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Wink

You're from Earth?

Sorry. It was the mascara, eyeshadow, and lipstick that threw me. I figured it was natural pigment.

- T.

So about that whole laptop thing, mentioned earlier, i had to stop it from folding due to massive over heating, lets just say touching the keyboard wasn't comfotable. So i'm down to 3 cpus at the moment. Also according to oveclocking were gaining the ranks nicely. We need more cpus to beet microsoft there at 202 as of now.

I had an idea didn't know if it would work well though. I have a machine without a hdd, if i booted one of my live cds and started the console program from a network share it should save the information to that share right, if so i could load up two comps live running off net shares and have even more folding fun. I'll give it try here and return with results
    Last edited by thaddaeus; 03-16-2005 at 01:33 AM.
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

Re: HA!

Originally posted by je_fro
    What a depressing thought, that we are alone in the universe....
    http://www.anthropic-principle.com/

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

I had an idea didn't know if it would work well though. I have a machine without a hdd, if i booted one of my live cds and started the console program from a network share it should save the information to that share right, if so i could load up two comps live running off net shares and have even more folding fun. I'll give it try here and return with results
    That would work fine.

I have 3 comps folding, including a laptop, though the laptop gets turned off at night as the fan is intermittent and is slightly too noisy for me to sleep through. I do have another machine I could use (a K6-2/500), but that is far too noisy that I don't even like having it on during the day, it hasn't even completed a single WU yet in any case, I started it some time before the new year and the machine must have totalled weeks of processing time on it by now. I am getting a 700Mhz Athlon donated to me soon though, which I'm hoping will be fast enough to be worth using (and hopefully also quieter).

You may want to read the thread here about live CDs burning out CD-ROM drives before continuing with that project... Last time I ran a live CD for an extended period of time I ended up needing a new drive.

Check the locals on Craigslist or another site, Im sure you can find 10gb or less drives being given away or sold for less than 5 dollars.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Originally posted by timothykaine
    You may want to read the thread here about live CDs burning out CD-ROM drives before continuing with that project... Last time I ran a live CD for an extended period of time I ended up needing a new drive.
    Yeah, but if all it's doing is folding, it's not going to use the CD drive much at all other than booting up.

An alternative would be to make a netboot disk an run the computer entirely from the network, then you wouldn't use the CD drive at all.

I also found it helps to actually connect the pc to the network to transfer files, but a netdisk actually sounds like a better idea, I have also been meaing to setup diskless stations just for testing, maybe this will give me a push todo so. Usually my cdrom isn't used at all when running my live cd (dyn:bolic) just at boot up and when first running a program. I'd rather not buy a new hdd for it as the system itself maybe seeing its last few days.
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

Originally posted by ions
    89 Days.... Unless we get some more people...hint hint nudge nudge... c'mon people!
    Well, I finally managed to get my old Dell laptop running with Gentoo, too. I emerged f@h, did the initscript and added it to my default runlevel using rc-update and finally rebootet to get it started. However, how can I see what it's doing now?

ps- ax gives:

Code:
     6066 ?        S      0:00 /opt/foldingathome/client1/foldingathome
     6067 ?        SN     0:00 ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -checkpoint 15 -lifeline 6027 -version 502
     6068 ?        SN     0:00 ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -checkpoint 15 -lifeline 6027 -version 502
     6069 ?        RN   434:48 ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -checkpoint 15 -lifeline 6027 -version 502
     6070 ?        SN     0:00 ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -checkpoint 15 -lifeline 6027 -version 502
    How do I know it has successfully downloaded a WU? How can I see how much of the WU has been processed? Is there anywhere a good documentation? (no manpages and the FAQ on their website isn't what I consider to be a fulll documentation) Oh, and my username doesn't show up in the justlinux_regulars' list either. Will it get there once I have finished my first WU?

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)