I just folded my first protein - Page 50

Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

WOW....

Broadband is a good thing, eh!?!?

I'm in Texas. I fire up the laptop on a measly 100K connection at the hotel, fire up the fah app, and the 4 dat files I still had in the fah work directory all successfully uploaded in about 45 seconds!!

On my 56K dial-up back home, they all never finished uploading due to the bad connection and the apparent buggy configuration of the only system I have to connect to.

If I ever get broadband again, mhanson will have to move over and let me pass!!

-------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Not to rub it in but yes, broadband is a good thing. At home I have a 20Mb/5Mb fiber connection. At work where the bulk of the folding takes place I only have a T1 and a 1.2Mb SDSL conection.

If you get broadband I will be in trouble! The only next move for me to make to improve my scoring is to upgrade/add hardware. And I have no budget for that.
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Well, about 7 more days and I'll be home and fire up all the computers again.
    My room will probably be freezing when I get back. I left the AC on full/max/blast! That normally keeps the room temp in the upper 70s. Although it got up to 85 with all the Cisco stuff running. It was a dry heat.

I just loaded Windows 7 on this laptop a couple of days ago and downloaded the smp client. It should upload a result in a couple of hours.

Edit:

D'OH!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    November 12, 2009

stats hiccup -- we're on it

There was a problem with the stats server over the night. We got to it first thing in the morning (around 6:30am pacific time), but it looks like a few stats updates were missed. The missed data is backed up on another machine and we can re-enter it. However, we typically take a couple of days to re-enter it, to make sure it is done right.
    So, the bottom line is that the stats system is back up, will we recredit some missing WUs not credited over the night, but this will take a couple of days to complete. Sorry for the delay on the recredit, but it's good to make sure we do it right, rather than in a rush.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by bs_texas; 11-12-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Talking

Woo hoo... Biopsy results today:

No cancer in the 12 cores of the biopsy.

-------------
    Folding is Fun

W00T!
    Ya had me worried for a bit. If you make it to H-Town give me a holler ;-)
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

I'm back. Wish me luck on my dial-up connection!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Quote Originally Posted by bs_texas View Post
    I'm back. Wish me luck on my dial-up connection!
    You using Linux or windoze for this? If you are on Linux, I used finstall to handle my folding and told it to use the screen program and to ask before sending in work. I did it this way because it tells you about when the unit will be done and it will ask before sending so that you can make sure you are connected. I was on dial-up until a few months ago.

Gentoo has foldingathome as a installable package but it is nothing like finstall. After it finished its unit, I switched back to the finstall method.

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

Let's see. I have the following machines:

Windows 7 (64 bit)
    Windows Vista (64 bit)
    Windows Vista (64 bit)
    Windows XP (32 bit)
    Windows XP (32 bit)
    Slackware 12 (64 bit)
    Slackware 12 (64 bit)
    Debian (64 bit)
    Ubuntu (64 bit)
    Ubuntu (64 bit)
    Ubuntu (32 bit)

I think that's all inclusive. Well, I have 3 or 4 more, but they aren't fired up at the moment.

The 56k Zoom modem is connected to my Smoothwall (64 bit) machine which is my dhcp server, router, firewall. There's a lot of competition for that measly connection!! I also have the modem, via Smoothwall, do a 'persistent redial', so it redials any time it gets disconnected. The line is always busy. Nobody ever calls me!
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Quote Originally Posted by bs_texas View Post
    Let's see. I have the following machines:

Windows 7 (64 bit)
    Windows Vista (64 bit)
    Windows Vista (64 bit)
    Windows XP (32 bit)
    Windows XP (32 bit)
    Slackware 12 (64 bit)
    Slackware 12 (64 bit)
    Debian (64 bit)
    Ubuntu (64 bit)
    Ubuntu (64 bit)
    Ubuntu (32 bit)

I think that's all inclusive. Well, I have 3 or 4 more, but they aren't fired up at the moment.

The 56k Zoom modem is connected to my Smoothwall (64 bit) machine which is my dhcp server, router, firewall. There's a lot of competition for that measly connection!! I also have the modem, via Smoothwall, do a 'persistent redial', so it redials any time it gets disconnected. The line is always busy. Nobody ever calls me!
    That will work to I guess. I recently got DSL and I hope you can get something soon too. Dial-up sucks.

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

6 million points around the corner.

Woohoo, i guess.

Mike
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Congrats!
    Man, when I think of how long I've been folding and don't even have a million points yet... you guys have some horsepower!

--Andrew Morton on RMS

Lets' all keep up the good work and hope for more good stuff to come out of the project.

(note: I finally got my USR Courier V.Everything modem to work with Smoothwall. It seems to be a lot more consistent than the Zoom modem I had been using. No knock against Zoom, in a normal, single computer connection, but this USR seems to be happier with the feeding of my 13 or more computers!)

(Also note, I just reformatted and installed Vista on one of my computers, expecting to upgrade it to Windows 7. And then when I went to Stanford to download the folding client... the system's StupidFilter firewall stopped me and said, sorry, that's Resource Sharing! Good thing I have it saved up on another computer.) (The movie, Road to Perdition, was on the other day. I was curious about Frank Nitti. I went to google, found some hits, clicked on a couple, and the StupidFilter said, sorry, that's Gruesome Content. I sure am glad somebody is looking out for me and my sensibilities!)
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Oh my god I can't believe this thread is still going. It have been a number of years since I was here, not even dual core was out yet. I was moving nicely up the charts at the time, these days things are very different. These days with the price of power I don't think I'll bother.

jefro, glad you kept that avatar dude, Still love it.

It's good to be king, if just for a while
    To be there in velvet, yeah, to give 'em a smile
    It's good to get high and never come down
    It's good to be king of your own little town

Yeah, the world would swing if I were king
    Can I help it if I still dream time to time

It's good to be king and have your own way
    Get a feeling of peace at the end of the day
    And when your bulldog barks and your canary sings
    You're out there with winners, it's good to be king

Attached Images Attached Images
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

DAAAAAAMN!
    I see I'm going to have to make a career change to keep up with you animals!
    Perhaps I'll move to russia and assemble a botnet?

--Andrew Morton on RMS