I just folded my first protein - Page 54

Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

d'oh....

Must be nice to be in the land of modern technology. I'm still having trouble getting all my WUs to upload. I'm told that there is no throttling going on with uploads on this 56K dial-up system, and that may well be, be I'm finding out more and more that a lot of people out here play World of Warcraft online... on our little 56K system!!!

And I got yelled out for downloading slackware 13.1 DVD version... 'cause it caused a spike in a Solarwinds graph. (That was at work on a part of the 'public' network that doesn't go through the modem pool.)
    Last edited by bs_texas; 12-15-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by techwise View Post
    Ill have 25/25 at work and 20/5 at home.
    I don't even know what that means!! Those numbers are beyond my comprehension!

I'm downloading, on a good day, in a fluctuating 5K to 0K pattern and uploading at probably a 3.2K to 0K pattern!! Up and down. Up and down. Up and down...

I sometimes feel like giving away all of my computer stuff and just going down to the beach everyday and drink beer and smoke cigars! Maybe I should come back to the mainland!
    Last edited by bs_texas; 12-15-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Too bad there is no way do DL and crunch multiple work units, then snail-mail them to a location with broadband where they can be uploaded on your behalf. Then a number of new WU be retrieved for you and returned in the mail.

Of you could just do that beach thing. Which I could go for because this time of year I spend way too much time in ice hockey rinks with my kids and it is unseasonably cold outside too. Im soooooo tired of being cold.
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Bleh, my CPU fan died at some point last week so I've had to shut off Folding to make sure I don't burn anything out. On the plus side my CPU cooler works just fine even without a fan so it should be fine. With it being the holidays I'm not sure when I'm going to get a chance to deal with it though.

new to folding

I just started folding a month ago and looked around for a team to join and found you guys. I found out about this site from folding and found about folding honestly from a review on a video card (someone was saying that it was good at folding and that didn't make sense to me since I only fold laundry, so I looked it up and it made more sense).

I now have a dual-xeon single core x86 server in WIN server 2008 R1 (you do what you have to), a desktop on a phenom 2 x4 3.0GHz and a little crappy 1.5Ghz VIA C-7 (both running Maverick)

How do I get it to fold on more than one core? It maxes it out but only one at a time.

Welcome!

On Linux, you can get it to use more than one core by passing the -smp flag to the fah6 program. I'm not sure about Windows because I haven't folded on Windows in a very long time.

It depends on what version you're using, but you can probably pass an option like "-smp 2" to get it to run on 2 cores. Some work units will never run on 2, while others will, from what I've seen.
    Welcome Aboard!!

PS, whoops, howdy Cybertron!
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by bs_texas View Post
    And I got yelled out for downloading slackware 13.1 DVD version... 'cause it caused a spike in a Solarwinds graph.
    Yes we have a solarwinds graph-monkey here as well. Fortunately, he sits in the office next to mine, so it's very easy for me to say "STFU" when he complains about his little graphs.

I don't even know what that means!! Those numbers are beyond my comprehension!
    Its a trade off... I get 12-20Mb/s downloads, but for a view I have drunk people puking on Bourbon street.

You have some beach front, want to trade for a week?

I sometimes feel like giving away all of my computer stuff and just going down to the beach everyday and drink beer and smoke cigars!
    Why not do both? Set your DL queue list in the morning, live it up on the beach, your email should be done downloading by supper.

I guess no satellite access out there? Should be marginally better than 56k dial up.

P.S. Oh, and the reason for coming to this thread... I will have at least one box folding again so you should see activity for me again.
    Last edited by trilarian; 01-06-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by trilarian View Post
    ... your email should be done downloading by supper.
    Supper next week!! Oh, but by then... Unit 02, 03 and 04 have passed their deadlines!

No, no satellite access. I'm hoping to be back in Texas in 2011.. but that's still way up in the air.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

No, no satellite access. I'm hoping to be back in Texas in 2011.. but that's still way up in the air.
    We'll get you a Grand/Gold Margarita over at Pappasitos when you get back
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    Welcome!

On Linux, you can get it to use more than one core by passing the -smp flag to the fah6 program.
    I understand the "how", but I keep running into dead ends. I suppose I am lucky to get it to work at all on a post 9.10 distro. I run this command:

Code:
    ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9
    It boots, logs me in, and runs into the legendary reallocation error. I've tried a workaround (whosyerdaddy) to no avail, so I suppose I'll continue on one core. I suppose I'm lucky to do that.

Hmm, afraid I'm not going to be much help with that then. I haven't run into the problem yet on my Gentoo box that runs Folding, so I'm not really sure what else you could try.

Well, I'm no expert on this, but I mostly use ./fah6 -advmethods -smp, except where I have to use that whosyerdaddy thing. And even there I use -advmethods -smp.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Looks like I'll hit 10,000,000. today.

Mike
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate