I just folded my first protein - Page 59

Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: I just folded my first protein

Quote Originally Posted by techwise View Post
    I just ordered 2 nVidia cards so I can do some GPU folding and I overclocked my i5 to 4.3Ghz. I may need another fan in my case and a bigger power supply too. Gotta keep up with the Jones'.
    I'm still on my now long in the tooth C2Q. Really due for an upgrade, but the house took priority so I don't have the money for it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    I'm still on my now long in the tooth C2Q. Really due for an upgrade, but the house took priority so I don't have the money for it yet.
    I heard a motivational speaker named Zig Ziglar once say, "Now take money... I've had it. And I've hadn't had it. ... It's better to have it."

I also have another EVGA GTX 560 Ti coming. That'll be 3 of those, a GTX 260, and an 8800 Ultra. My XPS M1730 has dual 8700M GT's. I don't live close enough to the fire department to max out the XPS at the moment!!

And here's a photo for techwise (heheh... be careful what you ask for!) Not too bad, I reckon, for turning 58 this year. (I shoulda wore my hat!) And really, I ain't lying, I have an external 120mm USB fan sitting on the desk blowing directly on me while I'm sitting here. I have two cigar humidor hygrometers in the room. One says 82 degrees and the other says 84 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bs_texas; 01-18-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

I came across this source of FAH news. BS it looks like they have their own network issues to contend with as well

http://folding.typepad.com/news/
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

je_fro... Yeah, that's kinda old news now. That was sorted out, but I still have upload issues... however, even so, I'm recently averaging about 50,000 points per day from mostly the GPU folding!

-------------
    Folding is Fun

So . . . . I will be shutting down my systems over the next few days in anticipation of a move back to Texas north of Dallas. It will probably be May before I come back up to full speed. And, look out, because I will have broadband internet access there! I hope to get a house in an area that has Verizon FIOS at 35/35 Mbps! My uploads will be finished before the Uploading message finishes writing to the screen! Heheh...
    (oh, well, we'll see how it goes. I'll have to pay for my own electricity then!)

It's currently like this:
    Uploading: 0.16% (that's not 16%, that 16 one hundreths of 1 percent!)
    Uploading: 0.27%
    Uploading: 0.46%
    Uploading: 0.68%
    Uploading: 0.85%
    Uploading: 1.20%
    etc....

After the move I hope for this:
    Uploa.....: 100%

-------------
    Folding is Fun

Be safe in the move. I've got a 6-pack of Shiner waitin' on ya.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Welcome back to the main land. I just moved to the DFW area myself, though I'm out of the FiOS range (SW Arlington). AT&T U-Verse isn't the 50Mbps cap of FiOS, but 24Mbps works fine. I'm still waiting for my first electric bill before I cut the farm on so I can get an idea of my monthly cost.

Hit me up when you are settled, don't know too many people here yet.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bs_texas View Post
    (oh, well, we'll see how it goes. I'll have to pay for my own electricity then!)
    I seem to recall calculating that my main box running Folding costs about $7 / month more than just running idle most of the time. Of course that's just one machine, so I imagine y'all's (welcome to Texas!) will be higher.

have a safe trip, and welcome back

I hope to get a house in an area that has Verizon FIOS at 35/35 Mbps!
    Here's what I'm getting from my FIOS here in NJ.

$whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

BROADBAND SNOB!!!

Heheh.. J/K

edit: Out here on dial-up, that would be about 3.6Kbps down and 1.8Kbps up...
    I wanna be a broadband snob!!
    Last edited by bs_texas; 02-23-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

LOL. Guilty as charged.
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by techwise View Post
    Here's what I'm getting from my FIOS here in NJ.

I hate you....

I'm :just: out of range of FiOS, so I have to go with AT&T U-Verse. The problem is they put a 250GB cap (that is upload and download COMBINED), so I opted for a mid level 14Mbps. No point in getting their 24Mbps so I can get to the cap faster and have no Internet the end of the month.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Don't be hatin'...

Note to self: Avoid AT&T

Not that I might ever upload and/or download 250GB of stuff...
    but if I -need- to....

He||, out here it would be a stretch to even do 1GB of traffic in a month!

But, I did sign up for TechNet. My new job will involve Windows Server 2008 and Sharepoint and Exchange... etc. So, I'll have a few gigglebytes worth that I'll need to download for my home lab/network.

Oh wait... back over there in the land of shopping malls and automobiles.. you can download movies and stuff too!
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Note to self: Avoid AT&T
    I agree... the only problem is my only other option here is Time Warner which had two plans:

$30 for 768Kbps (THAT'S Kb!!!!) and a 5GB cap, or go up to $55 for 15Mbps with a 40GB cap....

AT&T is $30 for 14Mbps 250GB cap, and $50 24Mbps 250GB. Lesser of two evils, and who knows I may shell out the extra $20 after I monitor a couple months of usage.

Not that I might ever upload and/or download 250GB of stuff...
    You would be surprised how fast it adds up if you are online a lot. Remember, it is upstream and downstream combined (including protocol packets). So a 150MB file counts for more than 150MB of your limit after handshakes, acknowledgements, and packet resends, etc. There are also things like Netflix - stream a PAID for service of HD video and watch your ticker fly. Of course that is the point, ISP's fear services like Netflix will do just what it did for me - make me cancel my cable TV service. So to recoup cost, they limit how much you can use these new services.

I'm waiting for a class action lawsuit to come about in the near future. It's only a matter of time before their caps gets smaller and a lawyer sees easy money.

EDIT => Also, you may be limited on how many flavors of Linux you can download and try (assuming you DL the entire repos)... STOP SELLING BANDWIDTH YOU DON'T HAVE!
    Last edited by trilarian; 02-27-2012 at 11:48 AM.

-Mark Twain