The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread - Page 7

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The [Main] 'Why did YOU choose Linux?' Thread

First time for me here also - hi

By boss kept buying Linux distros back in 1998 so I tried them and liked them. Eventually I installed Mandrake 7 and I've been using Mandrake, Fedora and Suse ever since. I have setup an older machine for my parents for net access but the latest distros are too much for it so I am going to try ZenWalk.

Linux is very powerful with the command line. Scripting is great fun and the apps now I think are better than Windows proprietary except that I use Dreamweaver via Crossover Office.

Hi, good to have you here with us.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

i dont cuss enough.. linux gives me an excuss to open up alittle

been playing with it for years ??? (red hat 5.1) but have never had much luck with it.

still trying
    GNUoob.com Name says it all

eek....I am a geek.....(attemptive)Linux user #328439

My Puter: Hamster Processor/some rams/and 22 floppies in raid.

My Folding@Home Stats

THANK YOU JustLinux.com crew

Hi all, newbie here.

I use Suse 9.3 on my second PC (PIII-1400) I love the look and feel of it and to be honest am sick of Windows security issues. I don't think XP is a bad OS but it suffers from the fact it is in over 95% of the world PC's, if you where a crook or just wanted to annoy people wouldn't you target Windows users?

Secondly, my 60 year old mother want to buy her first PC. I'm going to set it up with Suse. For digital camera, web, email and WP it is perfect and I won't suffer due to it getting viruses and spyware etc.

Rod

I'm sure I've already said something similar in another thread, but...

I was always a reluctant Windows user. I don't think I've really loved Windows since 1990-91 with version 3.0 (yes, not 3.1) when I experienced the joy of getting Trumpet Winsock working for free internet access (1200 baud!) through my university shell account. After that, the novelty really wore off and I was annoyed with its problems and limitations. OS/2 and Mac OS helped me get by until I started experimenting with Linux in `98 (Red Hat 5.0 - "Hurricane"). They were (more) stable and fun to use.

I tried Linux because it was free, worked on my 486, was easy to install (by ftp), and it was growing and progressing so quickly. It was an exciting time.

I use Linux full time at home and at work (as a dektop) because it is incredibly stable, has great software written by brilliant and creative people, has a choice of GUIs that proprietary OS's could only wish for, and... it's still free. It's fun to use and I like the fact that I still have a lot to learn about it. The fact that the limitations are mostly what I know and have tried with it, and not what it can do, makes me admire it greatly. How many operating systems can you say that about?

- T.

I chose linux because:

1. If it's free, it's me.
    2. Compilers, compilers, compilers for everybody.
    3. Lack of virus, spyware, malware, worms, billgates.
    4. Did I say free?
    5. Customizability, lower operational overhead.
    6. Didn't need latest and greatest to operate (still have RH6 running on a 486DX2).
    7. Oh, it's free.

It's a short list, but nonetheless valid.
    Daniel
    Linux User# 315525
    (K)ubuntu User# 9252

Wink

What's Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by supaphat
    What's Linux?
    Linux is a kernel distributed under an 'open-source' liscense and is available at no charge. Operating systems which use this kernel are called (Linux) 'distributions.'

There are hundreds of distributions out there. Some are there to play around with, others serve a more useful purpose. RedHat is by far the most established company. Some of the most populare distributions are RedHat Linux, Fedora Core, Debian, Ubuntu, SuSE Linux, and Mandrake Linux.

Good luck in choosing one...
    Life is like a Rubrick's Cube. Just when you thought you've gotten it straight on all sides, somebody comes along, says it doesn't look right, and screws it all up.

Why?

...because I wanted to learn *nix. I first tried FreeBSD but I found it somewhat difficult for a noob fresh off the GUI so I went with RH 8 instead and steadily weened myself off of relying off GNOME/KDE as I became accustomed to bash/sh/tcsh. Now I use GNU/Linux *BSD and Solaris.

Linux: If I have a problem, I fix it.
    Build my own boxes.

OS X: Don't have problems.
    Expensive hardware.

Windows: If I have a problem, I learn to live with it.

Ubuntu Convert

1. a secuirty OS
    2. server OS
    3. open source
    4. *NIX like system minus the kernel.(unix has history)
    5. relaible
    6. the only real OS to use.
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

I'm guessing my reasons for "trying" to use Linux are rather unique. I started in the computer business when they were made with vacuum tubes and we programmed them with patch cords (yep, I'm a really old dude ). When Unix rolled around in the late 60's and early 70's, the closest most of us got to a hands-on experience was on a remote timeshare terminal, buying our compute time by the millisecond. When Intel first came out with the 4004 microprocessor, I built my first microcomputer (this is what we called them before IBM coined the term "PC"). I wrote my own OS (actually a RTOS since this was in the days when HDD's were the size of washing machines and us common mortals were using punched tape or audio cassettes for "mass storage" (the first Winchester HDD I owned was a whopping 5MB capacity!).

Well enough of all that... As many if not most of us old timers did, we ended up traveling down the Microsoft road simply because that's where the jobs and cheap hardware were. I've had a strong dislike for Microsoft since the very beginning (remember what happened to Dr. DOS), but was trapped. Many times I've considered switching to the Mac, but at this stage of life it would just be too expensive to buy the hardware and replace my app's.

Which brings me to back to the original question... "Why Linux"? Well... quite simply: 1) It isn't Microsoft, 2) It takes me full circle back to my Unix roots, and 3) It's virtually free to experiment with.
    Last edited by transco; 11-18-2005 at 12:44 PM.

*blushes, ashamed* for the 1337ness, windows has too many restrictions. Linux is a bit hard to work, but more fun to get creative with

Thumbs up

I built up a puter and decided to put linux on it. I just wanted to try something else as i was sick of babysitting my windows 2k box.

I've been happy happy happy. Linux is great, i love freedom to choose and configure.

No more registry editing, no more cryptic/idiotic error messages, no more force fed UI and lousy memory management!
    ladoga

I choose Linux after my last windows crash. I swore if I had reinstall windows that I would install Linux instead. I am just a newbie but I already love it. On a side note I am taking classes to get the A+ certification so I can fix althose windows boxes.

Frog