The [Main] What Distro should YOU use? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Best Distro for Low resource PC?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dam Small Linux

20 11.76%
  • Debian

42 24.71%
  • Feather Linux

3 1.76%
  • Gentoo

13 7.65%
  • Puppy Linux

9 5.29%
  • Slackware

38 22.35%
  • SuSE

9 5.29%
  • Vector

10 5.88%
  • Yoper

0 0%
  • Other

26 15.29%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The [Main] What Distro should YOU use?

well, being a slacker I would suggest using slackware running fluxbox.

Debian would be good with fluxbox or another low profile window manager. Be sure to avoid installing kde or gnome packages as these will use a large amount of disk space.

Re: Best distro for low end laptop?

Originally posted by moo113
    I have an old PII 266Mhz laptop with 128MB RAM and a 4GB hard drive.
    For anything old and slow (like my laptop) I'd suggest using a lean distro, like slackware, and an even leaner X (xfce is what I use, or Windowmaker, blackbox, etc)

Local Game Server

Hello guys. I use Gentoo because it is optimized and is only what you want. It works for long periods of time, atleast from my experience, and it has tons of programs and libraries labeled "Tainted" on other distros which I can easily get with portage.

I run a Compaq Proliant 8500 Game Server at my locale. It is a Quad 550MHz Intel Pentium III Xeon processors (2mb l2) with 1GB memory, hotswappable 7200rpm-10000rpm ultra2 scsis on a 64mb compaq smartarray hardware raid controller, and a nice lil' lcd display for administrator/server info and failure notices.

Any other distro just wouldn't cut it, I mean everything is multithreaded and optimized for my 686 SMP monster so I know I'm getting good performance. The machine supports 16gb memory and eight overall processors, although I'm strapped for cash right now.

Which Distro for a Dell Power Edge 2600 Server?

Hello all-

Long story short (details later if wanted/needed): I work for a contracting company that recently recived a Dell Power Edge 2600. It was recieved with no operating system installed. Furthermore, it is very likely that none will be purchased.

When asked to see what if it works, I poped in my Ubuntu live CD (which I happened to have with me) and it came up nicely. So far this machine has only been used to display screen savers. . . . .that's just not right.

My question is this: Which Linux distro should I install on this machine? What distro will best use all of it's hardware features? (6 raided SCSI hard drives, Dual AMD 2.4Ghz)

Thank you.
    Chad Burrell

Distro For a Friend

Hi,
    I was just wondering what would be a good version of linux for a friend, that would include aMSN and mabey OpenOffice? And hopefully not to big (although, i am on a 8mb/s connection)

-Girvo

Give him a version of Knoppix to try, it has all that and a lot more!

If you want a install distro then I can suggest you Fedora, maybe Ubuntu (many people in this forum uses it).
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

-------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

/distro war on

Slackware!!

/distro war off

If this isn't asked here a couple of times a week.

The live cd distros are the best way to introduce someone to linux.

If he is going to install it then I would say install the distro you use. You are most familiar with it and will be able to help him through most of the rought spots the best that way.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

Well'p, looks like he might be running Damn Small Linux.

Re: Best distro for low end laptop?

Originally posted by moo113
    I have an old PII 266Mhz laptop with 128MB RAM and a 4GB hard drive.

What would you recommend I run on it for the best effeciency? I would prefer a Debian or Red Hat offspring but all suggestions are welcome.
    damn small linux
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Linux user #355624 Debian Linux
    Latitude D810 --Pentium M 1.86Ghz , 1GB DDR II PC-4300. X600 ,15.4". SATA 60GB
    Home ssh / ftp server P 4 @ 2.8Ghz , 225gb 3 x maxtors
    =====www.kanotix.com=====

Re: Which Distro for a Dell Power Edge 2600 Server?

Originally posted by s0ldier93
    Hello all-

Long story short (details later if wanted/needed): I work for a contracting company that recently recived a Dell Power Edge 2600. It was recieved with no operating system installed. Furthermore, it is very likely that none will be purchased.

When asked to see what if it works, I poped in my Ubuntu live CD (which I happened to have with me) and it came up nicely. So far this machine has only been used to display screen savers. . . . .that's just not right.

My question is this: Which Linux distro should I install on this machine? What distro will best use all of it's hardware features? (6 raided SCSI hard drives, Dual AMD 2.4Ghz)

Thank you.
    Dell has not and probably never will use an AMD cpu in any machine they build.

Slick Distro, for Low resource PC.

Can anyone sugest a good distro for a low spec PC?

The spec is:
    • AMD K6 400MHz
    • 256 MB Ram
    • 5 Gb HD

My own criteria in order of most desired:
    [list=1][*]A Responsive System (no problems using Xface, IceWM etc)[*]Can install new junk/software.[*]Will leave me with enough power to play DVD's, MP3's etc and browse the web at the same time! (my favourite passtime)[/list=1]
    Any suggests are most welcome, I'm currently running Debian (Sarge), which is ok, it runs and does just about all I want, but I think there are slicker options available. (also got puppylinux, which is fast I have to say, but I can't get connected to the internet on it )

Feel free to sugest ones I haven't mentioned in the poll.
    adwilson
    -----------
    A Dunce Wilson

Ok, I'm gonna post here my question then (even though it might be slightly against the posting guidelines):
    Why the heck do you insist on asking this question? I mean, I know a distro isn't just selection of software, but it comes to performance, it pretty much boils down to what you have running, indifferently of the distro, right?
    1. A Responsive System (no problems using Xface, IceWM etc)
    That souldn't be too hard to get.
    Can install new junk/software.Can install new junk/software.
    Same (with enough hdd space for your needs, of course).
    Will leave me with enough power to play DVD's, MP3's etc and browse the web at the same time! (my favourite passtime)
    You might be able to play DVDs, but it'd help if you had a decent video card or even a MPEG2 decoder card (I think these are cheap on ebay). Browsing and playing mp3 at the same times should be easy enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Good luck

I'm just trying to get a feel for other peoples experiences with various distro's. Plus I really want a sleek mean machine, but Ican't afford one, so I'm looking for ways to get the best I can out of what I've got.

You're right Distro's in themselves can all be tailoured and probably come out with performances which are about on par, but I'm on a dail up connection and am looking for a good starting point.

I have a creative Labs Savage 4 (32MB) Graphics card, which does mpeg decoding in windoze... it might do it in Linux too, but I haven't found out much about it... I'll have a look around on google about that. Cheers.
    adwilson
    -----------
    A Dunce Wilson