The [Main] What Distro should YOU use? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Best Distro for Low resource PC?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dam Small Linux

20 11.76%
  • Debian

42 24.71%
  • Feather Linux

3 1.76%
  • Gentoo

13 7.65%
  • Puppy Linux

9 5.29%
  • Slackware

38 22.35%
  • SuSE

9 5.29%
  • Vector

10 5.88%
  • Yoper

0 0%
  • Other

26 15.29%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The [Main] What Distro should YOU use?

Quote Originally Posted by premier69
    Hello, This is my first post and will probably be my first act in the linux world, you see I'm getting pretty fed up with microsoft and windows and wanted to learn how to change that.

I'm using my computer for streaming via smb to the xbox, photoshop, dreamweaver/golive, downloading stuff, browsing, stuff like that!

I have an Asus P4P800 mobo, with 4 stick of 256mb ram in dual / linear mode.
    A 3.0GHz P4, an Ati Radeon 9800 pro card, a controllercard with 4 hdd's and a sata raptor disk for windows.

I would like to be able to pretty much do what i do today but in a linux newbie friendly enviroment.

I have NEVER used linux before but am growing more and more fascinated by it's world daily.

I have ADSL 8mbit down and 1mbit up.
    I am very PC self-educated in hardware and windows but totaly novice in the ways of linux.

I am very eager to learn linux but I'm probably known as a slow learner.
    I would suggest starting off with Opensuse 10.1. Then you can "graduate" to another more complex distro after you are comfortable with the file structure, basic configuration,etc of linux. It is different than Windows- no registry, no .dll files, etc.
    Opensuse 10.1
    Get all 5 of the cd's downloaded plus the add-on cd (it contains flash, Realplayer, Acobat reader, and some others)
    Or Newbie Guide To An Opensuse FTP Install is another method.
    Linux newbie Administration Guide is a helpful resource.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

thanks, I will check out the tips and get back to you.
    I'm going to search for a cheap computer to use for linux experiments.

Right now i'm downloading knoppix to text on my laptop so i don't have to install anything yet.

Fatwallet is an intersting thread for a cheap Dell next week. I believe all you need is to submit a business name to sign up for Dell Small business, no other requirement is my understanding.
    Sale starts 5/22.

Inspiron 1300: $467

Dimension 1100 Desktop for $272 (evalue 65007-S50527ca)
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Talking They're all good.

My Computer: Dual AMD 1800+ CPUs, 2 Gb RAM, 400 GB Hard Disk, Geforce Ti 500 video Card, running OpenSuse 10.0.

All of the distros are good, but they all have their advantages and quirks. Just become an expert at one (or more). I consider myself an expert at Suse and soon Fedora Core. Since 1994, I have used RedHat/Fedora Core, Slakware, Debian, YellowDog, and a bunch of others that I can't remember.

The only distro that left a bad taste in my mouth was Debian. But, that all stemmed from the fact that a professor at school hyped it too much. Needless to say, he didn't do a good job at installing the distro, and I had to come around and explain all of the problems. Since this professor had too much pride (and most professors do), he wouldn't back down until other Linux experts proved him wrong. In the end, we had to build another server with Fedora Core 4 and used the Debian server as an SVN repository (the only thing that worked).

I may go back to Debian again, but it won't be anytime soon.

Vince

looking for debian based beginner distro's...

I know about Ubuntu and Simply Memphis, but I am wondering if there are any more beginner, or slightly above beginner level, distro's based on debian.

Thanks.

Edit:
    Specs:

Pentium III

124 mb ram
    Last edited by Chess007; 05-25-2006 at 09:49 PM.
    Currently running Xubuntu & Blag.

My blog:
    http://truthjournal.blogspot.com

The Easy Guide to Installing debian:
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016

Question Complete Newbie

Hi all,
    I am thinking of installing Linux on my old PC just to see if I can make it useable again...

The computer will mainly be used for:

- Internet
    - IM
    - Music

Pretty much everything else is just gravy.

I have a cable connection.
    I have an "above-average" knowledge of computers... Not a l33t hax0r But not like your grandma either...
    I have never used Linux before, because I don't have the patience to operate in the command line.

But after seeing a demo of Linspire, I was intrigued by the "newbie-friendly" distributions out there.

After doing a bit of research, I've concluded that Vector is the best for me, and I was just wondering what any Vets have to say.

Like I said, I have never touched Linux before, have no real desire to use excessive command line, and would like something at least a little "polished" and user friendly.

Here are the specs of the system I would like to install on:

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE

Motherboard:
    CPU Type AMD K6-2, 350 MHz (3.5 x 100)
    Motherboard Name DFI K6XV3+ (3 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C598 Apollo MVP3
    System Memory 192 MB (SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (11/04/99)

Display:
    Video Adapter Intel740 Win9x PV4.0
    3D Accelerator Intel i740
    Monitor ViewSonic P815 [21" CRT]

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Yamaha OPL3-SAx Sound System

Storage:
    IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IDE Controller VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
    Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
    Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
    Optical Drive YAMAHA CRW-F1E (44x/24x/44x CD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (FAT32) 30569 MB (25344 MB free)
    D: (FAT32) 3073 MB (1272 MB free)
    E: (FAT32) 45720 MB (4442 MB free)
    Total Size 77.5 GB (30.3 GB free)

So thats that.

Any help or advice would be fantastic,
    Thanks!

With that hardware it's less important what distro you choose (unless you go for SuSE which is a resource hog), but rather what packages you install.

As a desktop I recommend xfce, for internet Firefox/Thunderbird, for IM Gaim, for music Rythmbox. This should be fairly lightweight and suit your needs. These packages should be featured by any popular distro.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Hi,

I've installed Ubuntu, but during the install GRUB failed to install, and I wasn't sure where to put it other than the recommended place, so I installed LILO instead assuming that it would work as well.

But now the system boots straight into Linux with no option for windows.

Halp!

Thanks

Dell 1850 servers w/ Apache and Tomcat

Hello, I am running about 10 Dell 1850 servers with Centos. These machines are primarily running Apache and Tomcat out of a data center but have been having a lot of problems lately, especailly if I have ever had to reboot them..bringing them back up has been hit or miss. I am running Centos 4.2 I86_64. I tried to go with the Centos 32 bit version but the machines started freezing up almost from the get go so I ended up trying the 64 bit with some success but am now running into a lot of problems. Does anyone know of a good distro which runs on these machines? Suggestions?
    Breath Deep and Smile!

Here we go.. I'm curious to see what distro I should be on..

What apps do you use most?

Internet Explorer, Firefox, Visual Studio.net 2005, Microsoft Office, uTorrent, VLC, etc.

Do you have a broadband connection?
    Oh yes....

How familiar are you with computers?
    I work at a Tech dept, and have done Windows PCing for the last 12 years.

How familiar are you with Linux?
    Not incredibly unfortunately.

How much time are you willing to invest into learning Linux?
    As long as I have help, as long as it takes to get it.

How powerful is your computer?
    2.9 GHZ Celeron D, 512 RAM, GeForce Card, 2 40 GB HDDs, 1 NTFS Windows Storage Drive with all my music and movies, DVD Burner, Cornea 17 in Flatscreen. A pretty good machine.

So what do you guys suggest for the dedicated Windows XP and Vista User trying to transfer over to the world of free software?

How about fc5.

Try Fedora 5. It's pretty easy to install and comes with the KDE interface so you can use the mouse to navigate menu's and edit things until you get more familair with the command line. It also has the YUM package installer which is pretty user friendly for linux newbies

you can download it at

http://fedora.redhat.com/

Ted
    Breath Deep and Smile!

What apps do you use most?

Internet Explorer, Firefox, msn messenger,googletalk but basically i need to learn linux so that i can use kannel(sms and wap gateway)

i am connected to the internet through a lan( decent speed )

How familiar are you with computers?
    pretty comfortable with windows.

How familiar are you with Linux?
    little experience on redhat9 but almost a newbie

How much time are you willing to invest into learning Linux?
    As long as I have help, as long as it takes to get it.

How powerful is your computer?
    1.72 GHZ Celeron D, 352MB RAM, 40 GB HDDs,realtek rtl8139 family pci fast ethernet nic

the basic purpose is to learn kannel.i need not learn how to program in linux and stuff.so i need a distribution which is user-friendly and works fine on my machine because unfortunatly i have an old machine and cant afford a new one

so which distribution i should use ??

Quote Originally Posted by maVerick141
    so i need a distribution which is user-friendly and works fine on my machine because unfortunatly i have an old machine and cant afford a new one
    The most userfriendly distribution in my eyes is SuSE, its YaST will make you feel as if you were working with "System Settings" in Windows. If you buy the SuSE distro, you get even proprietary software included like Adobe Acrobat and Realplayer. However, SuSE is pretty hungry for ressources, I don't know if you will feel comfortable with the amount of RAM you have in your box. If SuSE is too slow for you, I recommend Kubuntu.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

what distro ? depends on what hardware you want to run it on..

1) for fast computers(due to compile time) GENTOO is my choice
    2 ) slow older comptuers DEBIAN and SLACKWARE
    3) other UNIX FLAVORS freeBSD and openBSD.
    4) commerical vendors REDHAT (if i get a job as unix system admin probably be using redhat alot)
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

have never used Linux before, because I don't have the patience to operate in the command line.
    then you shouldnt use linux ... lol joking.
    you should learn adleas the basics of the CLI . you will need to run terminals to do some stuff by CLI.

I prefer CLI on my server boxs and dont even run GUi. they slow down the resources and when your running a server you dont need stuff you dont use.
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS