SIL680-RAID ATA-RAID card under Linux?

Thread: SIL680-RAID ATA-RAID card under Linux?

Unhappy SIL680-RAID ATA-RAID card under Linux?

I got my self a SIL680-RAID pci card to connect old 80GB IDE harddrive to my SCSI-only server. The HD is recognized by the card in it's own BIOS, but nothing shows up when I am in linux? What kind of drivers, if any do I need for this card to work? I am running kernel 2.6.11 from the untested tree on Debian "testing" distribution. The computer in question is a Compaq ProLiant 5500. I would appreciate any help. I spent some time searching online for anything on this card and linux, but it looks like it is not very popular, so not alot of info. Also, I really do not need the raid capability (I got a 10 HD raid on the SCSI setup) I just need to connect that one IDE HD for backup purposes. So if you can recommend a simple card that will just plug in and work as a normal, non raid ide controller, I might just return this one and get a another that can plug in and work

- Bogdan

I just checked the configuration of stock debian 2.6.11 kernel. It does have PCI Express and PCI Express Hotplug driver compiled into the kernel and as a module respectively. That was my only idea of why this would not work, because I remembered seeing a pciehp warning some time during boot. But it is gone with the new kernel. So I really do not know why nothing is showing up. Do you think it may be conflicting with motherboard IDE? The ProLiant 5500 has one stock IDE but it is for CDROM only, does not work with HDs.

Any ideas are appreciated, I am stock here because I really do not have any errors, or anything of that sort to go by. It just does not work, as if the card is not there (though BIOS sees it just fine).

- Bogdan

Ok, here is a bit of an update. While booting the kernel can not load 'shpchp' and alos complains about ide-detect module. I think both are related in some way to the ide card. Any ideas?

- Bogdan

OK, well no one is answering my thread , I guess I will .

I started off using kernel 2.6.8, the IDE drive did not work under that. I switched to 2.6.11 figuring that that would fix my problems. But that plan failed just the same. So in the last moments of desperation I figured to try 2.4 kernel tree. And it works! But why???

From what I can tell the IDE card was recognized by all 3 kernels just fine. However both 2.6 tree kernels were complaining about a IDE_DETECT module, and 2.4 did not have such problem. I can not find any reference to IDE_DETECT or IDE-DETECT (as spelled in 2.4) in the menuconfig options. Any ideas?

- Bogdan

SIL680 PATA-RAID card under Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by x0054 View Post
    OK, well no one is answering my thread :(, I guess I will :).
    (...)
    Any ideas?

- Bogdan
    Hey man, 10 years have passed as far as i can see nothing has changed.
    i tried that exact PCI-card "Sil0680-RAID" using windows and linux.
    I wasted an aweful lot of time finding a windows driver but i came up with old versions for windows prior to win7.
    Usually hardware does run fine with linux, but what happened this time?

AISB, i spent quiet some time trying to get this card running and i had to find the correct combination of options in the BIOS-menu from that "Asus P8Z77-M" Mainboard to actually see the optionROM-bios from that special card while booting the system.
    I got to that point where you were: the kernel does detect the card but attached ATA-clients are unusable or wont even be detected.
    (I tried to get my PATA-DVDRAM drives running and the kernel did complain about DMA/PIO mode until it disabled the device.

I was about to give up, but something told me to carry on searching for the answer... well here it is:

"NOAPIC NOMODESET" at boot.

as soon as i provide those two options my system is stable and i can burn my CDDVDRAM like they were attached to regular SATA ports.