Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 52

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

The only driver issues I've ever had are with my sound card on my desktop and my wireless card on my knockaround laptop.

After rebates, on the two of them, I spent $6.

We're not talking about SB sound cards and Netgear wireless cards - AAMOF, the sound card's from Mad Dog and the wireless card has a Gigafast brand on it, but the chipset's from another company (8680 chipset, maybe? I don't remember the make or exact model number). I figured, for the hell of it, I'd try these and see where they got me - and apparently, even though the only audio chipset my box picks up is the one on the motherboard, there's some sort of passthrough for the sound card - when I have the speakers plugged into the sound card, I still get music. As far as the wireless card goes, I wasn't really expecting it to work out of the box - if I get it to work, great, and if I don't, I'm out $6. Whoopty.

I know there's some sort of a comparison I can make here to cars - something like changing your own oil and Linux being for people who are interested in it - but I'm not coming up with exact phrasing here... can anyone else see where I'm going with this?

I'm also not quite sure where the difference would be, in principle, between MS doing this and Wine... or VirtualPC (is that what the Windows-on-the-Mac software is called?), for that matter...

-CB
    Primary Linux box:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    512MB 333mhz RAM
    80GB HD
    DVD+RW
    unsupported sound card that plays music anyway
    Slack 10, 2.6.9

Knockaround laptop:
    P3-750
    don't remember how much ram or what size HD
    15" display
    DVD-ROM
    dualbooting Ubuntu and Libranet

I personally don't see how Microsoft making their own version of Linux will kill Linux. Since I doubt the Linux uer community would look upon MS-Linux as a peace offering from MS.

I can see only 2 groups of people who'd use MS Linux. People who hate Windows but don't want to learn an entire new OS. And people who wants to find out what the hub bub is all about.

And they'd probably slap a hefty price tag on a commercial version anyway.

PS, wasn't Dvorak the guy who used to host a ZDTV show several years back?
    "Who is General Failure and why is he reading my Hard Drive?"
    Linux OSes I use: Gentoo, and Linux From Scratch.
    Current Screen Shot
    Join a good cause and start folding today!Join the Just Linux Regulars team!

Dvorak rarely says anything intelligent. He just sits around and listens in on intelligent people's conversations, then he goes back to his corner and write a huge exaggeration of an idea that was introduced in a conversation.
    But it's pcmag, I rarely see anything intelligent coming out of them. It's pc hardware this, game benchmarks better that; office applications this, Microsoft that; Linux this wha(?!), Mac isn't a pc that..

This may be the dumbest thing I've read in a while. First of all, why would a Microsoft version of Linux "immediately dominate the Linux market"? How is it smart for Microsoft to voluntarily shift to a level playing field?

Secondly, the "public relations benefit" that this guy claims would go with a Microsoft move to Linux would be undone times 10 the first time Microsoft tried to break the GPL.

Finally, I agree, this guy has an exaggerated idea of the driver problems under Linux. I've never had any driver problems under Linux that weren't solved by simply trying a different distro.

Of course, shifting to LInux would give Windows the opportunity to create software that does not suck. Not that they care about that.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 02-24-2005 at 01:57 PM.

Originally posted by belsonc
    I know there's some sort of a comparison I can make here to cars - something like changing your own oil and Linux being for people who are interested in it
    -CB
    Something having to do with

Linux is for people who like to know what's going on under the hood;
    Windows is for people who like to pay someone else to know

?

At least in this case we can authoritatively say that knowledge is power...
    Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa || Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

-- mdwatts, Grand Master, >> 40000 posts
    RIP: August 25, 2004

***Funky stars and monkey bars***

What I have notice with Linux that since I started out with linux 2 years ago a lot has changed. When I orginally installed my ASUS motherboard onboard sound and network card didn't work. Now I have an INTEL board and the onboard sound and network work out of the box with SUSE 9.2. Also before there wasn't much linux driver support directly from vendors, now you can get those drivers just as easily as a windows XP driver, and sometimes it even comes on the driver disk.

As for the control statement, this is how I look at it. Both OS's were created roughly around the same time. They are both developing at different rates and taking different paths to do so. Windows began with the idea that no one should know whats going on, and make it all automatic. Linux goes with the idea that people have brains and should beable to monitor and fix their own problems if they want that power. I've noticed that a good OS will have both aspects of this to be a good powerful fully functional and easy to use tool. Linux in fact is working it's way towards automatic, and my proof is SUSE 9.2... I can take a hard drive with SUSE on it and move it to an entirely different system and SUSE will auto detect everything. Windows I have to reinstall basically, just because the motherboard is different.

So what I am obviously seeing is an OS will be more stable, and more easy to use if we take the path up the mountain directly, instead of being hoisted up on a helicopter to the top. The experience and hard ships of climbing the mountain will benefit us better in the end, then having our hand held the whole way there.

I am interested in what Longhorn is all about personally. I wonder if they go with the UNIX flavor, or if they stick with their registry infectionous crap. Either way it seems every few years Windows tries to improve their OS by "going back to the drawing board" because they realize they keep screwing up hard core on their ideas. Linux has a pure 10 years of development under it's belt, not to mention the years of development derived from UNIX to start with. Unix/Linux just works better, and I like to believe in a matter of time Windows will slowly become a second rate OS (not that it already isn't) and Corporations and Desktop users who recognize quality and control will prefer linux any day. The best thing about a possible linux domination is all that billions of dollars of wealth will be distributed fairly among many companies and individuals, not concentrated into a single power house of unethical and unfair aggressive marketing practices.

One last thing, don't you love it when you're reading an article and you read how Bill Gates is giving one of his visions of Multimedia for the average joe? Its like he actually thinks he is looking out for everyone. Maybe he should stick to multimedia and get out of the OS market. For my class studies I am *forced* to learn Windows 2003 Enterprise. After freshly installing I was able to take my Samba Server on my Linux box and browse directly into the root drive of the Windows 2003 box, add and take out files, no password or username needed. When I went to remove these shares it gave me a warning "These shares are created for easier Administration of system files.. blah blah blah".. Of course I didn't keep them, there wasn't even a way to secure them, its like they removed the tabs for security users.. Sounds secure to me eh?
    ensanity is just a side affect...

Re: How to kill Linux ...???

Originally posted by Sgood1971
    I just read this article and it sounds possible to me. What do you think about it? M$ has lots of $$$ and are very good at marketing if nothing else.
    What a bunch of FUD. This ranks right up there with "MS hires Linus". Dvorak is obviously a fool.

1. Secret project that makes Linux run smoothly under MSWind? Duh! coLinux is not a secret, and No, it wasn't shelved.

2. The idea is too complicated and convoluted. You're talking about cutting out HUGE sections of 2 OS's and pasting them together! It's possible, but I don't believe there would be any chance in hell they'd do it. The man power would be too much. Development of their current release would virtually come to a halt.

3. "Once the developers saw that happen they'd stop working on Linux and it would die. After all, who wants to do free work that benefits Microsoft?". This one is so dumb I'm speechless. Have you seen how many people contribute to the MS Wix Installer?

OK. That site is cool but it makes my CPU go to 100%. That much needed for a webpage??
    Yeah, he put in all that X-tra flashy stuff(flames, Bill's Jaw going up and down...) to simulate IE4. That way, while you're browsing their webpage, you actually have to worry about your system like you would if you were really using Internet Explorer.
    Linux user #367409

Originally posted by infiniphunk
    Yeah, he put in all that X-tra flashy stuff(flames, Bill's Jaw going up and down...) to simulate IE4. That way, while you're browsing their webpage, you actually have to worry about your system like you would if you were really using Internet Explorer.
    View -> Page Style -> No Style

CPU Usage down to 0, all content represented. Gotta love firefox!

Originally posted by madcompnerd
    View -> Page Style -> No Style

CPU Usage down to 0, all content represented. Gotta love firefox!
    I wish Mozilla would get with the program.

The main reason I use Mozilla is because it's better integrated.

MS Anti-Spyware program claims Firefox is a high security risk?

Has anyone seem this?

http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/02/27/1...id=154&tid=218

Can you say, monopolistic practices?
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
    (No trees were killed in posting this message. However, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.)
    ----------------------------------
    Debian user since Potato
    Syngin: Web Portfolio

Hmm, on closer inspection, maybe its just a Photoshop 'enhanced' image hehe.
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
    (No trees were killed in posting this message. However, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.)
    ----------------------------------
    Debian user since Potato
    Syngin: Web Portfolio

Why does this not surprise me? Guess Microsoft will try anything to get people to use their crappy internet browser. I'll try this on my mother's computer later, and see if it says that firefox is a spyware threat.

EDIT: Yes, it's might be fake.
    Last edited by Seph64; 02-27-2005 at 01:41 PM.
    "Who is General Failure and why is he reading my Hard Drive?"
    Linux OSes I use: Gentoo, and Linux From Scratch.
    Current Screen Shot
    Join a good cause and start folding today!Join the Just Linux Regulars team!

might?

They said it was a Hoax on Slashdot
    Slackware 10 .1
    Dropline Gnome
    Kernel 2.6.12

The Only webpage you need
    ScreenShots