Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 5

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Microsofts hacker fixing attempt failed. back when i did this kind of stuff(before i meant linux), I was able to pirate the software even after sp1 by hacking the reg to change the service code into one that i found on the internet and microsoft hadnt defined as a compromised service code because only the code was compromised--not the cd image. there are many of these codes that keep popping up on the web.

oh yah, mabye it owns the rights to MW AMERICAN language dictionary, but it cant get hold of the oxford english dictionary which has all the same and more words than the MW.
    Rest not on the failures of MS to gain world domination, but rather, fear the idea that MS is trying...and will continue to try. It should concern all computer users that someone out there is hell-bent on revoking the freedoms of not only Linux users and those who use Open Source, but also it's own client base!

BTW: I was a beta-tester for Whistler, all the way up to XP RC2, and even though the activation process is easily thwarted, don't fool yourself. XP activation, in my opinion, is but a mere testing platform for even more restrictive things to come.
    Superhands...

Dont get me wrong. I am very afraid of what the world will be turned into by microsoft.
    Linux? Il ya moins bien, mais c'est plus cher.

Originally posted by ZAmodeo
    Sorry if I disappoint anyone, but if the pirated stuff was deleted, I think that's really the right thing to to.
    In otherwards you think that it is ok for the police to go inside anyones house anytime they want without the owners even knowing just to check for stolen items. You hate the idea of a search warrant and want the government to have total control over you-- just as they do over prisoners.

I spent 3 years in prison myself (desoto correctional state prison), and can assure you that AlaxPlank is not far from the point. Prison is exactly what Microsoft is creating in the software world.

ps: alex, did you get my last post? (on the previous page)

Please let me correct myself....]
    At least in prison, officers give you the DECENCY of letting you know they took something from your locker

Originally posted by deanrantala
    Please let me correct myself....]
    At least in prison, officers give you the DECENCY of letting you know they took something from your locker
    good point lol

Originally posted by deanrantala
    I spent 3 years in prison myself (desoto correctional state prison), and can assure you that AlaxPlank is not far from the point. Prison is exactly what Microsoft is creating in the software world.

ps: alex, did you get my last post? (on the previous page)
    What for?

hmmm....lest see,
    I was 19, I had a major attitude, I wanted lots of money, and decided cleaning out a circuit city (retail giant) at 3am would get me what I wanted.(you should be able to look that sort of stuff up online somewhere I belive?). This is one of the many reasons I hold a grudge against M$. I paid for my mistake AND learned from it. Billy Boy, on the other hand, is allowed to get away with it (by the same people who slammed me) and he will never learn. That eats me big time. I got what I deserved, when will he?

I never used to hate M$ until shortly.

My beef with Mircrosoft has gone a long way. I didn't mind M$ so much at first, but now I'd much rather mailbomb Bill Gates personally than boot up another Windows machine. (I'm running run atm ... very unfortunately.)

The thing that pushed ME over the edge wasn't Mr. Gates wanting to smother every other OS out there, no, it was the fact that he also wants to control the freakin' hardware! For example - WINMODEMS - The essence of all evil - you see, if you don't have kernel source, no drivers for you, if you don't have a modem that has driver support, go get a US Robotics modem for 100 bucks (what a waste) but make sure it's not ALSO a winmodem! Man, M$ is crap! *shakesfistatM$*

Right, that was odd, i'm at the CAP Site and erm... this kid just balled and got carried away by it's mom. Right.

Back on topic - M$ IS CRAP! I now hate everything about it - trying to STOMP out eveyr other OS, every other competatent. I mean Bill didn't even make DOS himself, he stole it off of his FRIEND. WTF?

Bah. I'm off.
    You know you're a Linux addict when - You stay up all night exploring every nook and cranny of your newly installed Linux distro.

A tad harsh, but do agree about winmodems and winprinters. They lock a user into Windows and are much cheaper than 'real' printers. I don't hate MS for making money, they don't off me though, I hate MS because of their software. I dislike spyware, I DETEST in the GREATEST possible manner the second guessing the OS does for you, I hate the fact that the operator is treated like a dumb terminal and technical or not, you get such meaningful errors as 'Something happened, don't do it again'. I hate that it is GUI everything. I laughed, on the weekend, TechTV showed how to turn off some option in OfficeXP, it was in the 8th nested GUI!). I use the CLI for most of my actual work and can't live without it. (Sure MS has the dos prompt, but it pales in compariosn to bash and the speed with which you can do things in the CLI).
    Finally, for me, personally, it is an inferior OS, and could never keep up with the multitasking I need it to. When on site and forced to use a laptop, it is truly painful to use MS. (I now carry all my tools on CD and install on our Solaris equipment at site for this very reason)

(Right now I am logged into CPE in India and New Jersey supporting onsite testing (12 xterms), 2 DXPC redirection pipes for remote multihop GUIs and VNC connectied to my workstation at work, I have Mozilla, OpenOffice and XMMS running, I NEVER worry about stability, ever. During the breaks I will play games and never worry about dialup connection dying, etc)

Keep in mind that my only exposure to MS software is helping others who had problems or couldn't get something to work. (Remove-Reload-Reboot hope for the best...arggggh)

hlrguy

On the paranoid side, I think it is a bonus MS uses system degradation bugs as a feature (have you ever seen how many companies offer $49.95 software that just maintains and restores origional performance...amazing). Over time, Joe Blow's computer slows to 1/10th it's origional speed, they don't know how to fix it (i.e. had to be told their mouse was upside down the first time they used it), and they simply go by another faster comp.
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

I agree that any techincal user given half a choice, will usually benefit GREATLY from using an OS os (open souce operating system). I think that the hardware manufacters that figure out a way to cut a large portion of manufacturing cost while only cutting a relatively smaller portion of their prospective market are making good business decisions. I don't follow my own advice, but I think it is important that, us linux, bsd, and to a much smaller degree even X and jaguar users, contact manufacturers who produce compatible hw, whenever possible so that they know that there efforts are appreciated and can see that our respective communities are growing... Unless Palladium kills the baby in the womb, then we'll all just have to resuming warezin' MS goods... just kidding. But I think Palladium is much more scary than win-anything.

0x12d3 on Palladium developers:
    They were bred for but one purpose: to destroy the world of men.

Question ehmm

How can you hate a company? Just don't use any of their products! And it goes without saying that Bill wants to annihalate any other OS out there, given half a chance Apple and Sun would do the same, no doubt.

I swear, some of you guys really need to step away from it all, and visit real life.
    Debian Debian Debian Debian

Pfff, they're more than just trying to dominate Hardware, they're trying to dominate the world! You should be considerned about this type of thing though, it is the reason why great things like Linux are damaged badly! If a small group of programmers make something great M$ just smothers it and they continue to make their crappy version of it, this is why you must take notice and care. It's not about computers at this point, it's about economy and business. There is even rumor that M$ is trying to get into the car industry! Imagine that!
    Registered Linux User #219692
    Register as a Linux User!
    http://www.counter.li.org/
    -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-

I've read so many posts on this topic and have yet to be swayed into the MS hate-a-thon. I run a tidy little network with Trustix 1.5 for my dns and webserving. I also run a 2000 box for desktop apps and the occasional game. Both boxes do exactly what i want them do and i think it's great. When i want to tinker around under the hood i switch over to the command line of the Trustix box and when i want to type a quick document or play a game i reach for the 2000 pc.
    I guess i just don't understand the contempt for an operating system that works just fine for me. My 2000 box is rebooted rarely and that is usually due my own carelessness. Granted my linux box stays up for an eternity before rebooting, but i hardly ever mess with it once i have setup to my liking. However, i'm constantly installing and uninstalling apps on my 2000 box and have yet to run into all the problems that people talk about.

So i guess i like both OS's because they do exactly what i ask them to do.

Eric

Originally posted by hlrguy
    I DETEST in the GREATEST possible manner the second guessing the OS does for you, I hate the fact that the operator is treated like a dumb terminal and technical or not, you get such meaningful errors as 'Something happened, don't do it again'. I hate that it is GUI everything.
    I agree. I hate having to click 50 billion things with the mouse to do one simple thing. People ask me why I use linux if it involves "so much typing." They don't understand that it is much faster just to type cp ~/stupidfile /mnt/floppy rather than to open two separate explorer windows and click a billion icons.

And M$ software is generally bad. Publisher actually is OK, but most of the other apps are just terrible. Take Picture It!!! for example. People say "wow, it can remove red-eye" and they show how by clicking "touch up" then "fix" then "remove red eye" and then clicking on the eye M$ will put a big ugly black circle over the eye. Then they go on about how "anyone" can use the program.

Well, I am not anyone, I like control over what my computer does. That's why I use linux, and why I spend use the GIMP to actually touch up photos.

What scares me is that most people listen to what M$ says about Palladium and believe all of it.

~psi42
    Last edited by psi42; 07-15-2003 at 06:02 PM.