Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 13

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

NBG - "namecalling" in that you have in effect told that person that they are ignorant by the statement "Ignorance is not an excuse." - surely the subtle semantics have not escaped you.

NTFS has been available since NT 3.51.
    - if you examine my statement you will notice that I did not refute this point, but simply pointed out that the average user couldn't take advantage of NTFS because NT 3.51/NT 4 were difficult to use and incompatible with some hardware; therefore, many corporate desktops and home users were using Win9x and FAT32 -and many still do. LAPD still uses Win95 -yep "95" on vehicle mounted computers and many desktop nodes.

While I will readily admit that the NT family of OSs is far superior to Win9x, it is not near as powerful or stable as UNIX or Linux, and any honest person, or one "in-the-know," would readily admit this. Just BASH shell blows holes in Windows -is UNIX for everyone? -No.

..and IMHO, as far as anyone being the next Bill Gates goes -sorry, that job is already filled, nice dream though. Additionally, the software vendors of the last century are going to have to learn that the "gravy train" has run out of track, and the PC gold rush is almost over -time to get a real job.
    Last edited by CMonster; 07-19-2003 at 05:31 PM.
    CMonster says, "You can't choose the right OS if you don't have a choice."

NBG - "namecalling" in that you have in effect told that person that they are ignorant by the statement "Ignorance is not an excuse." - surely the subtle semantics have not escaped you.
    If you'll examine the original context, the poster complained about not being able to control what starts up when Windows boots. I replied showing him how to do so. Piix replied saying that most don't know how to do this in such a way that he was blaming Windows for this. Linux is not held to this standard, so why should Windows be?

- if you examine my statement you will notice that I did not refute this point, but simply pointed out that the average user couldn't take advantage of NTFS because NT 3.51/NT 4 were difficult to use and incompatible with some hardware; therefore, many corporate desktops and home users were using Win9x and FAT32 -and many still do. LAPD still uses Win95 -yep "95" on vehicle mounted computers and many desktop nodes.
    True, but the same could be said of Linux. I'm not really sure what you're point is.

While I will readily admit that the NT family of OSs is far superior to Win9x, it is not near as powerful or stable as UNIX or Linux, and any honest person, or one "in-the-know," would readily admit this. Just BASH shell blows holes in Windows -is UNIX for everyone? -No.
    I agree. I like *NIX, I recommend it over Windows for servers, and all of the Linux servers I run are rock-solid with very high uptimes. However, that doesn't mean that Windows sucks.

Originally posted by nextbillgates
    I recommend it over Windows for servers, and all of the Linux servers I run are rock-solid with very high uptimes. However, that doesn't mean that Windows sucks.
    Ahh, Yes it does.

I was feeling sad that my steady supply of coasters was going to dwindle since AOHell stopped shipping disks to everyone. Now those feelings have abated becasue M$ has sent me five packs of services for Unix 3 120 day Evaluation over the last few weeks and got my 6th one via Linux Magazine. My cache has been filled.
    Daniel
    Linux User# 315525
    (K)ubuntu User# 9252

I can't believe i skimmed the whole thread....it was 90% not useful nor productive.

I better go to bed.
    #justlinux irc.freenode.net

i agree.

you guys should just meet somewhere and fight. Both OS's have a purpose, and no one is smarter than anyone else for using either.
    Your distro is not better/worse than anyone else's. Unite!

RH9user | JL > DebianUser

Linux User: 307026
    Debian - Save yourself the hassle.

Originally posted by Citadel
    There is no need to consider MS Windows except for humor. MySQL, DB2, PostgreSQL and Oracle run on Linux. Thats plenty of choices for SQL. End of story.
    Oracle runs on MS Windows.

Heh... i was reading through the thread and I realized... the mods finally made good on thier threat to merge the anti-microsoft threads into one. Fairly good job too, as I didnt notice an inconsistency until halfway through

Originally posted by carrja99
    Heh... i was reading through the thread and I realized... the mods finally made good on thier threat to merge the anti-microsoft threads into one.
    DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!!!!

You're the first person to say anything about it, even though the threads were merged more than week ago.

Originally posted by carrja99
    Fairly good job too, as I didnt notice an inconsistency until halfway through
    carrja99- here's the scary part: although this thread is a merge of 4 separate threads, I didn't manipulate the ordering of the posts at all after the merge. Think about that carefully for a few minutes and you'll see why these threads are such a waste of bandwidth- no one is saying anything new or original; all of these M$/SCO/Insert_name_of_hated_company_here threads are just reduntant, space-wasting rehashings of already-beaten-to-death issues.

Because these threads are some of the most likely to turn abusive or burst into flamage, they need to be monitored more carefully, making more work for the mods and keeping us from spending time actually helping people solve their problems. By piling all of the static in one thread we reduce our workload without having to resort to locking or deletion- you get to rant, we get to move on to more productive activities.

Re: I never used to hate M$ until shortly.

Originally posted by Drevay
    ...trying to STOMP out eveyr other OS, every other competatent.
    I stomped out a competatent the other day. It was a mess.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Originally posted by DMR
    ...all of these M$/SCO/Insert_name_of_hated_company_here threads are just reduntant, space-wasting rehashings of already-beaten-to-death issues....
    Good point! The only problem now is that we're guaranteed one less useful thread in the "Hot Threads" from now on.
    - Andy

Obligatorydistro link.

re: Hating MS in a Nutshell

Hey! I'm a Windows user but I like Linux too.

On desktop, it will be a long way for linux to beat Windows. Reason? M$ Office. If you're new to anything, there is no problem using linux. You've got plenty of office apps to choose from. But if you're a long time M$ Office user, that's a different matter. The switch will be much harder.

I think, linux developer should give emphasis on office apps for linux.
    The best equipment is what you have!

what people don't realize

it sucks to reinstall windows. after i've had it so long, everything is configured the way i like it, i have many programs downloaded that i'd have to refind, plenty of music... it would take me weeks to get everything back to normal. it's almost completely out of the question to reinstall windows.

Re: what people don't realize

Originally posted by bryan.6
    it sucks to reinstall windows. after i've had it so long, everything is configured the way i like it, i have many programs downloaded that i'd have to refind, plenty of music... it would take me weeks to get everything back to normal. it's almost completely out of the question to reinstall windows.
    What is your point? & your title does not really pertain to your post
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

I'm not sure I understand why you're posting this either...did someone tell you to uninstall Windows and try Linux? You can get a 2nd hard drive if you're really that set on keeping Windows the way it is, and just dual boot.
    - Andy

Obligatorydistro link.