Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 26

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

better security too
    CMonster says, "You can't choose the right OS if you don't have a choice."

Uh, I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am.
    I actually like the NTFS system better than their last ones. I can treat my one MS XP box at work like I've been treating my Linux boxes for years. Easy shutdown, hit the hard power button! Of course I only use that box like twice a week, but I haven't had any errors yet.

Weird, complimenting MS, it's been a long time.
    if (i_forgot && this_is_about_code)
    language = c++;

Re: Another Bit of Microsoft Irony

Originally posted by ikellen
    A linux friend and I were pondering why M$ uses the NTFS file system for Windows 2000/XP. As it turns out, the main feature of the NTFS filesystem is its ability to recover from crashes better. Interesting that M$ would use a filesystem that recovers from crashes better in Windows. Hmm, I wonder why?

For those that don't get it, scroll down...

Windows is renowned for crashing a ton, so Billy Gates needed a filesystem to save his *** when his software crashed on customers computers.
    First

NTFS stands for New Technology File system.
    That means it's "The 32-bit file storage system that is the native system in Win NT,2000,XP and .NET server.

Second

- It has the ability to compress file and directory on the fly
    - Better recovery and stability
    - Less Disk fragmenation
    - Local File and folder secutiry

- Windows Nt 4.0 uses a NTFS version 4
    - Windows 2000,xp and .NEt servers use NTFS 5.

Now some mor features that it has it

- Ability to read long file names.
    - More advanced built in security features
    - Better fille compression then FAT
    - Ability to use larger disk and file
    - File activity tracking for better recovery and stability than FAt
    - POSIX support

Also another great feature is that the NTFS is equipped with security features that meet the US government C2 security specifications.

So if I was a huge company and I knew all this. What format would I use? Myabe just good ole FAT 16. No I would want what has better security, is more realiable and also better compression. I think you are just bored so you pick a fight with Microsoft. Plus, if you don't like it. GOOD, Don't use it. It's not for everybody. Rip out everything on your computer that is windows orientated and put in all stuff made for the MAC OS or the Linux OS. Move on with your life.

Thanks

<cereal83>
    Move on with your life.

Thats right, break it up...there's nothing to see here...move along.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

To ikellen:
    Please don't be offended by the replies in this thread. It's just that everybody here already knows that Microsoft sucks.

Hey, I am not trying to make the guy feel bad or anything it's just that I think microsoft I think accually improved this feature IMO lol I was also bored last night

Yeah, NTFS is aight.
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

Re: Re: Another Bit of Microsoft Irony

Originally posted by cereal83
    Also another great feature is that the NTFS is equipped with security features that meet the US government C2 security specifications.
    Umm... Is this the same C2 cert that Win NT 4 had?

The one that only applies if the machine is not connected to a network?
    "Heisenberg may have been here."

I don't know about all these technical and hardware issues (except perhaps about the winmodems) and personally, I don't care. NTFS, ext3, ext2, reiserfs. I have no idea what any of them mean, and when I installed linux, I just picked one (reiserfs). The reason I don't like to use windows is that it is just plain annoying, and unstable. I was browsing the internet the other day using mozilla, and I saw something on netcraft.com about a bug in internet exploder that will allow malicious html to show an address in the address bar that is different from where you actually are. If that isn't bad enough, I launched explorer to see if it worked like they said it did, and about four more explorer windows popped up, my cd drive opened, and somehow the homepage that explorer should go to when started was changed to something else. The popup window on top was flashing something about "if your cd-rom drive opened, you need this security enhancing product". After that, I vowed to try and use windows, and all microsoft products for that matter, as little as possible. Any program that will let someone remotely change your homepage and control your hardware without your permission is just plain poorly written. This may have been the fault of adware or spyware, and that is why I hate microsoft. Their software will let other people come in over the internet and just take control of your computer. It's just not right. I cannot believe that windows will just download software, install and run it without the user even knowing about it. That could never happen on linux. People that use windows are scared out of their wits, and rightly so, about viruses, and everybody just thinks that when a computer hangs, their files are mysteriously gone, or their computer won't boot, it's just a fluke, and things like this are "supposed" to happen. The list goes on and on. Give me a break. But more importantly, give me some software that works for my $199, you pieces of Redmond crap!

P.S. Does anyone out there know how slick Billy acquired MS-DOS? IBM came to him and asked if he had an operating system for there new personal computer. He told them yes (which was a lie) and then had to go looking for one before they found it somewhere else. He found it at Seattle computing, a small company. It was called QDOS. He bought it for $10,000 and sold it to IBM. As far as I know, windows is still based on DOS. There is a 32 bit extension and a GUI, but DOS is still the heart of the OS. QDOS stands for quick and dirty operating system. The people who wrote it didn't have the time to make a good system, so they made it "quick and dirty."
    System of a Down is awesome

Originally posted by JKlebs9225

P.S. Does anyone out there know how slick Billy acquired MS-DOS? IBM came to him and asked if he had an operating system for there new personal computer. He told them yes (which was a lie) and then had to go looking for one before they found it somewhere else. He found it at Seattle computing, a small company. It was called QDOS. He bought it for $10,000 and sold it to IBM. As far as I know, windows is still based on DOS. There is a 32 bit extension and a GUI, but DOS is still the heart of the OS. QDOS stands for quick and dirty operating system. The people who wrote it didn't have the time to make a good system, so they made it "quick and dirty."
    History always has the ability to re-write itself.
    http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa033099.htm
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

ok, I don't totaly hate MS, but I do think some of the things they do are insane. Take for example of the article I just spotted over at cnn.com

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne...ght/index.html

Check it out and see if you don't have the same opinion I do. MS is just being silly on this one.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

Originally posted by JohnT
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by JKlebs9225

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History always has the ability to re-write itself.
    http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa033099.htm
    Bloody hell! Isn't that amazing?
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

what windows can do to a person's mind...

I was searching for something last night and came accross this gem. It is so outrageous that it didn't even make me upset, it just made me lmao.

Some quotes:

"One thing many home computer users are concerned with these days is viruses and all the time they consume. Linux zealots will try to say that their platform isn't plagued by things like email viruses, but with Windows XP I don't gotta worry about emailing viruses to my friends and family at all. The built-in email client Outlook Express does it automatically, in the background."

"I have dabbled with Mandrake Linux for a day or so, and I was shocked by how few preference-gathering applications were running in the background and how it did absolutely no "calling home", never even contacting the Mandrake server to make sure my product's license key was intact. Who wants to use an operating system that doesn't learn about you, that doesn't keep track of what you like to look at on the web, listen to, or watch? With Windows XP Home, I have the peace of mind that comes with knowing my habits and activities are being monitored by Microsoft"

See the rest if ya want at http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/mcse2.htm

...but you DO know that this article is meant to be fun, right?
    KNOPPIX is good for you!
    Die Zukunft spricht Linux!
    Registered User #265,362

lol, thats most ridiculous thing I have heard : )
    Gentoo
    folding@home: 36480