Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 4

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

What the hell are you talking about?

This is why nobody takes you guys seriously. Nobody has stated how it can be done, you simply say "oh, it can be done if someone has pirated [illegal] material".

First off, what is childish about being angry? What is childish about being dissatisfied? And finally, what is childish about being angry about being used?

People with your attitude are the reason why nothing changes.
    Last edited by RaGe2012; 06-03-2003 at 11:35 AM.

Originally posted by Parcival
    I don't agree on that one. Assuming that intelligent people work at Microsoft who learn from the past (like the Win XP registration crack), they're gonna shut down those holes, too - especially when Palladium is a nice feature to do so.
    its being naive if you think anything connected to the internet can be truely secure. Anything can be hacked (unless its in a lead box at the bottom of the atlantic)

Palladium wont be bypassed by exploiting a hole commonly used today, of course all holes and bugs that we know of will be closed. But what about those problems we havent found yet?

from what i can remember, the first Palladium chip isnt built into the processor, and will be bypassed within weeks. The second implementation will be built directly into the motherboard itself, and will be a lot more difficult to get around.

It will be bypassed a few times. .Net worries me more, if someone hacked into their servers (which would happen) they would have access to anybodys data anywhere. hmmm
    The Difference being, Hackers build things, Crackers break them

Originally posted by redhat81
    Again, I ask: How are they watching you?!?!?! How do they know what's on your computer? How do they get in?
    first of all, if you're worried about a spotty little hacker sitting in his dark little bedroom cracking your machine and accessing files (and who isn't?), why couldn't a massive corporation with limitless resources do the same thing? and who knows what kind of backdoors they built into XP, or any software for that matter... it could be as simply as punching your PID into a database to get access wo everything on your machine...

also, I don't know if this has been mentioned already (i couldn't to read the whole thread before posting) but..

Has anyone actually read the EULA for windows media player 9? I have and in it, you give M$ permission to remotely access your machine and remove files that are not owned by you - i haven't heard of them actually doing it yet - maybe it's just a test on how people will repsond to it being mentioned in the EULA's? but then again how many people actually read them anyway?

One thing i have heard of is being stopped from playing MP3's (ripped from CD's, NOT downloaded) with a message that you do not own the copyright to the music... i work tech support and have taken that call dozens of times... at that point, the only thing to do is FFR because that's the only effective way of removing media player 9...

Then they's the little "flaw" in the windows XP activation process that will delete ALL files on your C: drive if you try to download SP1 with a pirated version of XP

I have no doubt in my mind that M$ would take control of people's systems and remove anything they (or their partners) don't like and that's when the regular M$ user will be hit with the shocking truth that M$ really are a law unto themselves and don't give a **** what you or i think about it as long as they're making money...
    Registered Linux User #282110

A PC without windows is like a chocolate cake without Mustard!

Had enough Linux? For your footy fix, get over to www.beautifulgame.net

You all knew this was coming...you all ignored the warning signs:

1.) Microsoft Office 2000 (I'm sure you were all shocked as I was the day I had my first run-in with activation on more than one machine. MS gave me a hell-of-a-time over the phone and refused to allow me to activate Office on my own laptop. )
    2.) Windows XP SP1 (MS's well-publicized demonstration of it's ability to regain control of it's OS from the pirateers)
    3.) X-Box (aka, prototype of the "PC of tomorrow")
    4.) SCO
    5.) The recent purchase of IP rights to the English language from Webster Dictionary by MS

So don't be surprised. I'm not. Expect it only to get worse. MS now owns the English words that come out your foul little mouths, and it won't be long before MS owns the putrid air you breathe to sustain your pathetic little lives.

MS's struggle to achieve world domination is no joke people. It's happening before your very eyes.

Get used to it.
    Superhands...

Has anyone actually read the EULA for windows media player 9?
    I actually do read through the EULAs just to make sure there's nothing outrageous in them, and when I downloaded Windows Media Player 7 I found a little gem about modifying the OS EULA to include MS's right to make changes to the operating system. I've firewalled WMP 7 away from the internet. (Since I'm not the only user of the PC, I have to keep it as a dual boot... but I may be able to cure that in time.)

@ disley:

You made a couple good points. There's also a mistake, though: TCPA is the TPM (=chip) Intel builds, Palladium is Microsoft's old name for its NGSCB initiative (thus not a chip). Some more thoughts to go:

(1) In an interview, Intel's David Grawrock, Security Architect and Marketing-Manager Jeff Austin say that the main key will remain hidden in the TCPA module.

(2) However, they also say their primary goal is protection against software attacks, but not necessarily hardware or netwrok hacks.

(3) Finally they also point out that TCPA is more than just a chip on the motherboard (or wherever else); it also means "secure" keyboards and graphic cards. Intel's LaGrande enhancement will add a so called „Protected Execution Environment“ where programs can run in an isolated environment.

I agree with you, disley, that everything can be hacked - this time it will just be a lot more difficult than changing a couple bits in a registration file. My main argument is this: why should someone who has the brains to do it hack Palladium or even the TPM, when he/she could use the skill instead for Linux development? And why do people say "I'll use Longhorn, I'll just wait until it's hacked"? Among those are some old friends of mine... I don't get why they don't use an OS like Linux in first place where they can have the OS of their choice without participation in illegal activities.

Yes, the story about the EULA in Windows Media Player 9 is true. That was the first time my alarm bells rang. However, so far I have nothing observed except reactions of disgust in computer magazines. Quite probable that MS just wanted to probe the market and see its reaction.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Something that crossed my mind about Palladium - given the nature of the internet, and the sheer numbers of computers that are connected to it, validating each machine can be a cumbersome task. I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the way, someone is going to figure out a way to emulate a trusted machine. It may take a while, but once this spoof gets out in the wild, it could take quite a while to fix the breach.

Originally posted by redhat81
    Oh, I see, so you're afraid your pirated software and files will be deleted. If you really didn't do anything questionable, you'd have no real problem with it.

DO THE POLICE HAVE A RIGHT TO GO INTO EVERYHOME WHENEVER THEY WANT TO SO THEY CAN CHECK IF THERE IS ANYTHING STOELN. WHATS THE POINT OF A SEARCH WARRANT??
    Linux? Il ya moins bien, mais c'est plus cher.

Originally posted by jymbo
    You all knew this was coming...you all ignored the warning signs:

1.) Microsoft Office 2000 (I'm sure you were all shocked as I was the day I had my first run-in with activation on more than one machine. MS gave me a hell-of-a-time over the phone and refused to allow me to activate Office on my own laptop. )
    2.) Windows XP SP1 (MS's well-publicized demonstration of it's ability to regain control of it's OS from the pirateers)
    3.) X-Box (aka, prototype of the "PC of tomorrow")
    4.) SCO
    5.) The recent purchase of IP rights to the English language from Webster Dictionary by MS

So don't be surprised. I'm not. Expect it only to get worse. MS now owns the English words that come out your foul little mouths, and it won't be long before MS owns the putrid air you breathe to sustain your pathetic little lives.

MS's struggle to achieve world domination is no joke people. It's happening before your very eyes.

Get used to it.
    2)
    Microsofts hacker fixing attempt failed. back when i did this kind of stuff(before i meant linux), I was able to pirate the software even after sp1 by hacking the reg to change the service code into one that i found on the internet and microsoft hadnt defined as a compromised service code because only the code was compromised--not the cd image. there are many of these codes that keep popping up on the web.

5)
    oh yah, mabye it owns the rights to MW AMERICAN language dictionary, but it cant get hold of the oxford english dictionary which has all the same and more words than the MW.

Can microsoft delete my linux partition?
    Last edited by AlexPlank; 06-04-2003 at 06:32 PM.

Microsoft is out of control because the public has let it happen. Every time someone installs his software -even if it is pirated- they support his "cause" I still have A pirated copy here at home of XP (with the activation crack and the cracked sp1 update) I went the pirate way because I didn't want to put any money in his pocket. I still suporrt him, however,because I have formed a type of dependency on his product and that is what has made M$ what it is. I no longer use ANY M$ software anymore.

If linus Torvalds was to get inside my PC, and remove something (wich he probably could) it would be ILLEAGAL. So what makes Billy so much better?

The Linux community is also to blame in some ways. Why hasn't anyone pushed to advertise and promote linux in not just the business market, but the home market as well? Why won't more people begin pressuring big time PC manufacturers to have better support for linux(linux shouldn't be an *alternative* when you buy a PC, but a readily available pre-installed option that has it's fair share of promoting).

Linux has t0 be known by more people as a capable OS that does everything windoze does........

"I still suporrt him, however,because I have formed a type of dependency on his product and that is what has made M$ what it is. I no longer use ANY M$ software anymore."

So you're saying you depend on Microsoft and support Microsoft, but yet you don't use Microsoft software -> and you obviously developed the evil Bill attitude with the M$ abbreviation.
    Some clarification of the meaning of this sentence would be nice.

"If linus Torvalds was to get inside my PC, and remove something (wich he probably could) it would be ILLEAGAL. So what makes Billy so much better?"

I don't understand how Linus Torvalds fits into any equation involving Bill Gates. And the way you used his name here portrayed him as a Thief and a Vandal.
    Edit: My bad, Richard Stallman and members of the FSF lead the GNU project. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Linus Torvalds heads up the Kernel development team. He is an Intellectual and a Visionary, whereas Bill Gates is a Dictator and a Crook.
    Every single line of GNU Linux is available to the public. Somebody finds a Bug, that somebody reports and/or sends in a fix to the maintainter(s).
    If you didn't understand from the above, if Linus Torvalds was to find a way into your computer he would be focused on Fixing that way in.
    Linux is a global development team of people who love computers and technology. They also love the thoughts of advancement and sharing of knowledge.
    I suggest reading the Halloween documents. I read some of the first one and was amazed by the way Microsoft portray's linux. The only real weakness they pointed out in development is that the developers are spread across the entire world (which in my opinion is a huge advantage), instead of a single cancerous institute I call central command. A good point was made regarding the decline of Macintosh users, where Macintosh listened to it's Power Users and focused on their idea's of advancement, Microsoft focused on the simpleton and focused on making things look prettier.
    (don't quote me on anything)
    These individuals all have a certain area of computer technology that they love to explore.
    Linus is at the Head since he started it. He started a great thing, but he is in no way a dictator. Unlike microsoft the product won't die with the man.
    Last edited by Brocket99; 06-05-2003 at 04:12 PM.

Linus Torvalds heads up the GNU project and leads the Kernel development team. He is an Intellectual and a Visionary, whereas Bill Gates is a Dictator and a Crook.
    Every single line of GNU Linux is available to the public. Somebody finds a Bug, that somebody reports and/or sends in a fix to the maintainter(s).
    Just being pedantic... Linus Torvalds is in charge of development of linux, the kernel only. GNU is headed up by various people from the Free Software Foundation (the most famous being Richard Stallman).

Please don't take any offence, just a minor correction... though you called it "GNU/Linux", so Richard Stallman is now your best buddy

Originally posted by YorkshireYank

Then they's the little "flaw" in the windows XP activation process that will delete ALL files on your C: drive if you try to download SP1 with a pirated version of XP
    WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

I wonder if this palladium would prevent people from running LIVECD linux distros? Would do you think?

Sorry about the poorly written sentence...

I used to use it. However, I no longer do and never will as long as I have the choice - as long as I have open source. Nonetheless, its the point I was trying.

Yes, I have developed a "bad M$" attitude. Actually, I'm a PC repair tech who at one point (i'll never heaer the end of this) was a pure Microsoft patriot. But my expirience (even as a legal and loyal customer) had been nothing but awfull - since day one. I can't really bag on B Gates for his illeagal ventures - but I belive it is about ethics and how you treat a customer who has just paid 400 dollars for the right to use your software.

And I do greatly apologize if it seemed that I portrayed Linus as any sort of thief, or crook. I totayl agree with you, he is a very brilliant visionary whom I thank for what runs My PC this very second. Once again, poor analogy - my fault. The point is: if anyone else does what Bill Gates (maybe I'm pointing fingers I shouldn't, so I'll say Microsoft) has done they would be out of business. In other words: it seems that in the PC world, that anything illeagal IS illeagal - unless Microsoft does it. Am I not right? This has been demonstrated ever since windows took over the desktop.

also...
    I have tried to install the sp1 update on baxes that have the crack - never seen this flaw manifest itself(not to say it isn't there) All that ever happened to me is the "invalid product key" message and installation then exits. And when I used to use XP, I had a special SP1 update with a hacked setup routine that would install the update regardless of a valid key. So it was never a problem.

ps: alex maybe you could explain to me how the whole sp1 crack works and the whole key deal - I only know it worked but always wondered *how* and *why*
    Last edited by deanrantala; 06-05-2003 at 12:56 PM.