Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 48

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

I had fun with Microsoft the other day...

I had some fun with a Microsoft employee the other day.

As those of you who know me, you all know that I a South African who lives in Mauritius. Now unoffcially French is THE language in Mauritius, although 99% of users use their PC's in ENglish, they speak French. Now after three years in this country, I can speak passable French. My actual home languages being English and Afrikaans, 50/50.

So I just happened to be at one of my clients when the call came in, so the secretary put it through to me. I get a voice speaking French to me on the phone but I'll transalte it.

Caller (from MS Indian Ocean) : Good morning, I am calling from Microsoft and would like to speak the IT manager please.

Me : (just to be a bast*rd I reply in English) : Yes, speaking.

MS : Erm, we are doing a survey, how many computers do you
    have? (broken, stammering English)

Me : Why do you want to know?

MS : Erm, I am from er, Microsoft and we want to know how many
    computers are running Microsoft software.

Me : First of all, you have no legal right to do this, so you will need
    to have court order insisting that I tell you how many
    computers we have, and secondly, only run Linux and
    OpenSource software in this office.

MS : Silence for about 10 -> 20 Seconds

MS : Oh (shock), er, thank you for your, er, time, and er,
    information, have a good day.

Me : You too, Good bye [CLICK]

LOL,LOL,LOL.

Boy oh boy, that chap didn't know what hit, and the best part is that it is true!!! I have been moving all the clients to Linux!!!

How about that!!!
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

I had some similar fun with a Bellsouth (local phone co) tech. A business I support on the side was having issues with their router not getting a DSL connection...

Tech asks me what version of Windows I'm using... tell him it doesn't matter, its a router. He insists, so I tell him Win 3.11... he puts me on hold, a new tech picks up, and asks again what OS. So I start screwing with them... Each time a tech asked what OS, I changed it. Went thru Win 311, QNX, BSD, Linux, Solaris, AIX, HPUX, DOS 6.22, Linux on a Mac, and OS X. Finally got them to realize it was a router issue and not a desktop issue....

Talking

good ones!

nice stories, I like messing with TS & IT peoples heads too
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

WIndows : the big blue screen of death page

" Windows is apparently not a good choice for running highly visible systems. These photos were taken on the corner of Swanston and Bourke Streets in central Melbourne on a Sunday afternoon, 13 Feb 2000."

http://zem.squidly.org/bsod/

make sure to click on the links for more pics

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Linux user #355624 Debian Linux
    Latitude D810 --Pentium M 1.86Ghz , 1GB DDR II PC-4300. X600 ,15.4". SATA 60GB
    Home ssh / ftp server P 4 @ 2.8Ghz , 225gb 3 x maxtors
    =====www.kanotix.com=====

About two weeks ago, I decided that I am not going to use Windows as a crutch, because I hate it. So I fdisked that partition and built a Gentoo system. I feel so liberated, no more dual-boot crap, I think that anyone who has to dual-boot doesn't really need linux. I need linux, because I need control, I need freedom, and after one year with linux, I could never go back to the dark side.
    Phuck Micro$oft!
    Registered Linux User #365191

ya gotta love how stable windows is along with how informative the error messages are
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

Originally posted by glussier
    It never occurred to you that many linux users are also happy window users?
    Did you pay for your version of windows though? LOL!! Lets just be glad Billy doesn't put the amount of restrictions and control on home PC's as he does for the business.

To me it comes down to one simple point.. Software shouldn't be so controlled. Imagine if people were able to charge to own hardware the way they try to charge to use and own the software.

"Hi this is a courtesy call from Sony, we want to remind you that in 30 days the DVD player you bought 11 months ago will expire. We will be sending a technician over soon to collect it if you choose not to renew your subscription to our DVD player. Have a nice day!"

What about books?

"Sir we must remind you that you are only allowed to purchase and read this book for the time limit stated in the contract."

Cars?

"Hi this is the car dealership, we decided that we will no longer support your model of car, you must upgrade to a newer car in order to continue driving. Otherwise it might crash and we will not be responsible."

I think I just like the idea of giving consumers and businesses rights by selling the service of setting up and maintaining software on machines instead of just selling the right to turn your machine on with it installed.
    ensanity is just a side affect...

UK H-bombs to use Microsoft horror?

'The ministry of defence has stated plans to upgrade [U.K.] naval systems using 'windows' based software / platforms. If trials are O.K they may extend this to nuclear submarines.'

Read that on a BBC discussion forum for the treens. Sounds very scary.

Someone replied: 'It gives a whole new meaning to the blue screen of death.'

Last edited by lugoteehalt; 10-20-2004 at 10:04 AM.
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

You've got to love military intelligence
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Will it be point and click? And if so, what will the middle button be used for?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Yikes! What is it with British submarines? We Canadians have just had some serious misfortunes after buying 5 UK subs for our navy(what a mistake!).
    Others seem to be making wiser choices regarding computer systems for naval operations:Like this
    Linux user #367409

I think linux should stick to Linux software (such as server-side software) and windows should stick to it's bread and butter, which is a good easy to use interface and game compatibility.

I think I was unable to cast my vote for whatever reason. I demand a recount.
    Install linux, Problem solved :8 :7

Originally posted by fill
    I think linux should stick to Linux software (such as server-side software) and windows should stick to it's bread and butter, which is a good easy to use interface and game compatibility.
    I agree completely. I mean, sure UT has faster FPS on Linux, but the installation was almost difficult. Seriously, why would I wanna play games on my Linux desktop if the installation makes me have to think a little?

Don't make me re-install FreeType , just to read this drivel. ( I really haven't read any good honest drivel in awhile though)
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!