Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 51

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

I made a boo boo, I just made a very large picture of the Halifax skyline, it's 10"x60", I really wish I would have done it on my Linux machine instead of my winblows machine, the only reason for the windows machine is for photoshop (I know that photoshop will run under wine but I use image ready a fair amount and that dosen't work). At the moment my winsucks A** machine is down for the count so I can't work on the picture for a day or so, never had that problem on my Linux Machine. As a side note, I did start shutting off the bells and whistles on XP, and I have to say that it looks like 98 ! It also runs like 98, so really it brings me to a conclusion, winuseless xp is really just the same old bag of doorknobs that microf**k has been peddling since 1998? have they really done anything more than add useless icons and ram eating graphics to their unoperating system since 1998, is that all they have done in the past 7 years, if so, man are we dumb for using it! Had I used the Gimp, my customer would have their pictures by now :-(
    Pull my finger!

I think XP is a newer version of windows than 98 is; its a newer version of win2000/NT AFAIK. Same shaite, different pile, eh?
    Linux user #367409

These versions of Windows are usable:
    Windows XP
    Windows 2000
    Windows NT

These are confirmed not:
    Windows 98
    Windows ME
    Windows 95 (this comes the closest though, sadly)

Where do I draw the line:
    Multi-user or not.

Originally posted by madcompnerd
    These versions of Windows are usable:
    Windows XP
    Windows 2000
    Windows NT

These are confirmed not:
    Windows 98
    Windows ME
    Windows 95 (this comes the closest though, sadly)

Where do I draw the line:
    Multi-user or not.
    Id take XP off that list. Id say usable is NT 4.0-5.0, but 5.1 is crap and 6.0 probably will be too.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Roflmao!!

I know you've been trying that "other" operating system for the past
    couple years now. Honestly, I don't understand why you would decide to
    leave us. We have tried to produce the best Microsoft Windows (TM)
    possible for everyone, including yourself. I'm writing you on behalf of
    everyone here because we wish to win you back!

We want to offer you a life time subscription to all Microsoft (TM)
    products at substantial discount below the retail price! I'm certain
    you'll be more than pleased with our offering, because no other
    operating system can compare with the value our system brings.

This subscription will give you access to ALL of the latest Microsoft
    (TM) software and services!

This includes, but is not limited to: Microsoft Windows XP (TM),
    Microsoft Visual C++ (TM), Microsoft Office (TM). In addition, you will
    be one of the First to receive the production version of Microsoft
    Longhorn (TM). The cost of subscription is only 1 human soul. Sorry no
    COD's.

Sincerely,
    William (Bill) Gates

This turned up in my mail box. Apparently it's a hoax, but I was actually fooled at first. Gates already has all the souls he needs.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 02-17-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Microsoft help's parents understand l33t

L33tsp34k for the luddite classes

A link right to the MS page linky
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

"I'm gonna tell you some more..."

OK, here goes again:Click ME!

I stumbled accross this one today; pretty funny site.
    Linux user #367409

How to kill Linux ...???

I just read this article and it sounds possible to me. What do you think about it? M$ has lots of $$$ and are very good at marketing if nothing else.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

-Deep Thought, Jack Handey

seems kind of silly to me, i havent had a single driver issue in linux in quite some time.
    run into more of those in windows to be honest
    Linux is not a crime

The real way to kill any competition is to lobby the government to make something the competition doing to be illegal.

This is the way of software patents and the true way for the monopoly to destroy most of its competition... Just make the competition illegal.

Check what Microsoft said about software patents on here http://swpat.ffii.org/vreji/quotes/index.en.html before they became the dominant OS provider.

Software is already well protected by copyrights and has been since the dawn of software. Without software patents and the strong copyright protection we have had over the last 30 years, software designs have flourished. There has been great innovation, and small start-ups and individual programmers have always been able to competitively challenge larger companies.

Now with Software Patents, the patent holder has a monopoly license granted to them by the state allowing them to stop others from using and building upon an idea, hence killing innovation, invention and competition.

This is the REAL way they are already going about it, with heavy lobbying of many governments to indirectly make competition illegal.

It is sad and uncompetitive and against the way of the fair market economy.

@moojuece, I just saw your ending:

Linux is not a crime
    Well, the monopoly wants it to be so, they have billions and billions of dollars to make it happen.

PS. http://swpat.ffii.org/gasnu/microsoft/index.en.html

What a ridiculous notion.

I mean he says "running linux under windows"; Running an OS under another OS. It makes no sense, you have one or the other. Compatibility between operating systems is achieved through things like wine or cygwin.
    You can also emulate other OSs within an environment using virtual PC programs and the like.

And even if it was conceived or actually developed, I'm sure driver compatibility would be a minor advantage. Native, system integrated compatibility with your high end, critical servers (running a *nix variant of some sort)would be the most obvious plus. And drivers have only been good for windows when it's brand name stuff (even then it's not always great). What about all the people who buy computer bundles that include weird thrid party kit from regions in Asia that you have no chance of ever getting working on a windows re-install without some serious work in the wee hours and plenty of cigarettes and tea.

That rant aside, the author continues and he makes some valid points. Although it gives Microsoft perhaps a little too much credit

Microsoft only needs that one driver element to be proprietary for the plan to succeed. When MS-Linux is announced, it will be as if Microsoft were doing the world a favor by "joining" the Linux community. Praise will be heaped on the company. Congratulations will flow. The end of Linux will be at hand.
    Not ruddy likely mate

Biz
    Bizza
    --------------------------------------
    Peace, Man!
    Registered Linux user #297724

Sounds like Dvorak is seriously out of touch IMO. How would making a windows/linux (hybrid?) benefit us in any way? My computer runs great with JUST LINUX on it, why do I want to somehow "run linux on windows as a task". Here's an even better idea: cut the head off windows, package it solely as a gaming platform for x-box and leave those of us who want functionality and stability from our computers alone.

it will be as if Microsoft were doing the world a favor by "joining" the Linux community. Praise will be heaped on the company. Congratulations will flow. The end of Linux will be at hand.
    This makes me want to puke! Perhaps Dvorak should stop bothering the world with his crap and go back to kissing *** in Redmond. Because you know, I just can't get my devices working with linux I better buy the Mi$creant version, since moron/tech-columnist says I should. They're really starting to grasp at straws, aren't they? And if the day of doom ever comes that my linux drivers no longer work(yeah, in Dvoraks wine-induced dinner-party fantasy) I'll buy a MAC. Nah, I'll become a luddite. Damn I hate these IDIOTS.
    Linux user #367409

OK. That site is cool but it makes my CPU go to 100%. That much needed for a webpage??

Still miss mdwatts.

Later

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.