Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 53

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Originally posted by pinter
    They said it was a Hoax on Slashdot
    Yes, shame though, this would've been another reason to hate MS.
    "Who is General Failure and why is he reading my Hard Drive?"
    Linux OSes I use: Gentoo, and Linux From Scratch.
    Current Screen Shot
    Join a good cause and start folding today!Join the Just Linux Regulars team!

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)

Bill Gates To Be Knighted

Check this out on ZDNet, I'll paste the text below but here is a link if anyone thinks this is a hoax. Pardon me while I vomit:

Link

Microsoft co-founder and Chairman Bill Gates will be awarded an honorary knighthood by Britain's Queen Elizabeth on Wednesday for his outstanding contribution to enterprise.

Gates, the world's wealthiest man, will receive the award from the queen at Buckingham Palace.

He will become a Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, an honor that dates back to 1917, though monarchs have been creating knights for hundreds of years.

Among the pomp and grandeur of the formal state rooms at the palace, Gates will kneel in front of the sovereign, who will gently tap him on the shoulder with a sword.

Britons and citizens of the commonwealth are entitled to add the title "Sir" in front of their names, but that honor does not extend to other nationalities.

When it was announced last year that Gates was to be knighted, Foreign Secretary Jack Straw paid tribute to him.

"(Gates) is one of the most important business leaders of his age," he said. "Microsoft technology has transformed business practices, and his company has had a profound impact on the British economy."
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Yeah, it certainly has transformed business practices and impacted economies. Oh well. Unfortunately this simply diminishes the honor for past honorees.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

Lets hope that the sword is sharp Even though I don't agree with the way MS works, I would have to agree that they were important for IT. I mean, if MS wasn't around, we might not have Linux Now that Open Source is on the rise, people like Mr Gates will become less important though. Which is a good thing.
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

What do ya want to bet that "longhorns" will now have a medevil castle theme or feel to it?

If it wasn't for MS I think all we'd really be missing is the 'pc in every house' dream that Bill shoved down everyone's throuts.

What has the world gained from Windows?
    Easy to use GUIs?
    Sysadmins CAN be monkeys?
    Pretty desktops?
    easy to exploit system tools and 'secuity'?
    Dire need for a well trained support staff?

Really, they have given us nothing while they have made Trillions. I know I would have been using Linux SOONER if it wasn't for MS.

anyway...this is going to the "Hating MS" thread like all the others...

If Microsoft was not as succesful as it is.... we would all respect it...

Originally posted by Admstng
    Succesful at what? Unfair shady business practices? There are people out there that talk as highly about Microsoft as we talk about linux. If linux and microsoft switched popularity I would respect linux that same. The reason for this, because I believe in the GPL.
    ensanity is just a side affect...

GPL is great... we and businesses benefit form it.. but...

Microsoft does not get enough credit form Linux users... many fall into the "MS haters" group...

It's not like WE pay for microsoft software.. so i like it

and your crazy to say that every aspect of Linux is better than windows...

Granted that I think Linux users and developers are more intellegent, and if there is any standardization, Linux will surpass MS in every way

-Adam
    PS. i am a linux user...

You want to imagine how massively NOT different things would be today if there were no Microsoft? It would have been more or less the same, except most people would be using PC Clones running IBM OS/3 instead of Microsoft Windows XP. It might have been Sun or HP who turned to Linux for a cheap leg up against the big monopoly rather than IBM (who would have been the big monopoly except for a small twist of fate that Bill Gates jumped on).
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Originally posted by IsaacKuo
    You want to imagine how massively NOT different things would be today if there were no Microsoft? It would have been more or less the same, except most people would be using PC Clones running IBM OS/3 instead of Microsoft Windows XP. It might have been Sun or HP who turned to Linux for a cheap leg up against the big monopoly rather than IBM (who would have been the big monopoly except for a small twist of fate that Bill Gates jumped on).
    If Billy hadn't jumped on I think maybe everyone would be using Macs...
    ensanity is just a side affect...

true dat! as a photographer and Linux user I'm kind of torn...let me explain, I pretty much had to use windows in the past, on any professional course you will learn how to do your editing with photoshop, it's a given. In the past I could not afford a mac so I was pretty much forced to use windows. As a Linux user I'm very interestec in using Linux only software and feel that Linux does truly handle the cameras I use way better than windows , I have never gotten an error or crash when editing a pic in Linux, I can't say that with windows, that being said, the photo editing software for Linux is rather unmature, I follow the progress of the Gimp very closely, and it's maturing very fast, I would like to see more focus on color management and making the basic tools more intuitive. Macs are more affordable now than they ever were! I think that if windows wants to survive, they will have to start to actually put out an acceptable product, I don't really care though, I have enough other choices to choose from now!
    Pull my finger!

Originally posted by Admstng
    Originally posted by ensane
    If linux and microsoft switched popularity I would respect linux that same. The reason for this, because I believe in the GPL.
    I'm on ensane's side here. It's all about Freedom and that means GNU! Look at me, I'm a perfect example because I hate Apple too!

Originally posted by IsaacKuo
    Hang on, what about the UK firm Inmos? This was shutdown by the British government, in my opinion because it was ordered to do so by Washington - who had identified small computers as the next big industry which they wanted the US to dominate as they dominated civil aircraft manufacture. Their sort of parallel chip could outperform certainly my PC decades ago.

It is also sometimes said that the UK had a world lead in most areas of computing but this was ripped off by the US - as you would expect in a colony.
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Sour Grapes
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!