Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 6

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

I agree. I hate having to click 50 billion things with the mouse to do one simple thing. People ask me why I use linux if it involves "so much typing." They don't understand that it is much faster just to type cp ~/stupidfile /mnt/floppy rather than to open two separate explorer windows and click a billion icons.
    Even in windows, you can do copy stupidfile a:, so no need to open 2 explorer windows. In fact, most things can be done from the command line, if only, you knew how to do it.

I hate Microsoft for a few reasons.

1) They use underhanded business tactics.
    2) SPYWARE, SPYWARE, SPYWARE. How many Winblows users do you think actually READ the XP EULA... it's scary.
    3) It's simply an inferior product. I mean, look at Linux. Stability, customizeablility, so much multitasking... (*usually runs three virtual desktops in flux, and has three or four root virtual consoles compiling or configuring something*)
    4) Per-client licenses? I mean that's just ridiculous!
    5) They don't willingly interact with other platforms. They expect you to have M$ desktops with M$ Office, M$ servers, etc. etc.
    6) They're a de facto standard. Everything works under Winblows, and if you call somebody for support, they expect you to be running winblows. If you're not, doesn't even matter if it's a hardware problem. You're not supported. And all my friends AUTOMATICALLY assume I can read .doc ... well, I can, thanks OO.o, but still, I'd rather it be an open standard like .rtf or maybe just plain text.
    7) One word: Palladium.

I don't, however, hate them for trying to take over the world, 'cuz they're not. It's all about profit, in reality. No conspiracy.
    I don't claim to be an expert, please remember that the above is just my rambling, probably long-winded opinion.

P4 3.2Ghz w/512MB of RAM, 80GB HD, DVD, CD-RW, GeForce 4 64MB of RAM, built it myself.

Gentoo & (new!) FreeBSD
    JL on IRC (It helps!) #justlinux on irc.freenode.org

Re: I never used to hate M$ until shortly.

Originally posted by Drevay
    My beef with Mircrosoft has gone a long way. I didn't mind M$ so much at first, but now I'd much rather mailbomb Bill Gates personally than boot up another Windows machine. (I'm running run atm ... very unfortunately.)

The thing that pushed ME over the edge wasn't Mr. Gates wanting to smother every other OS out there, no, it was the fact that he also wants to control the freakin' hardware! For example - WINMODEMS - The essence of all evil - you see, if you don't have kernel source, no drivers for you, if you don't have a modem that has driver support, go get a US Robotics modem for 100 bucks (what a waste) but make sure it's not ALSO a winmodem! Man, M$ is crap! *shakesfistatM$*

Right, that was odd, i'm at the CAP Site and erm... this kid just balled and got carried away by it's mom. Right.

Back on topic - M$ IS CRAP! I now hate everything about it - trying to STOMP out eveyr other OS, every other competatent. I mean Bill didn't even make DOS himself, he stole it off of his FRIEND. WTF?

Bah. I'm off.
    You're blaming Microsoft becuase hardware vendors want to skimp on costs by making cheapy hardware and writing Windows-only drivers?

Okay ....

It's amazing how many Microsoft defenders are members of this website.

The best answer with regard to Microsoft is try never to use it, and choose Linux instead. Not everyone will have that choice, but at least Germany does and eventually all of Europe, and Australia.

Originally posted by plattypus1
    4) Per-client licenses? I mean that's just ridiculous!
    Oh, it gets even better than that. Have you read the licensing requirements for using Terminal Server? You need the following:

(1) A 2K server license for the machine running Terminal Server
    (2) One client access license for every other machine on your network, not enforced that I've seen except with Terminal Server -- you need a client license for the remote terminals
    (3) A Terminal Server license itself
    (4) A separate Terminal Server Client License (that is, one for the clients of Terminal Server) for each and every terminal talking to the TS machine
    (5) Another machine running 2K Server (with license, and client licenses, yadda yadda yadda) to act as a License Server, so that MS can keep tight control over which machines can access the Terminal Server -- they have to have a license cookie (or something) from the License Server before Terminal Server will let them on, and the License Server requires direct access to Microsoft's web site(s) to be able to "manage" the number of licenses your organization has obtained.

Now if that's not ridiculous, I don't know what is.

6) They're a de facto standard. Everything works under Winblows, and if you call somebody for support, they expect you to be running winblows. If you're not, doesn't even matter if it's a hardware problem. You're not supported. And all my friends AUTOMATICALLY assume I can read .doc ... well, I can, thanks OO.o, but still, I'd rather it be an open standard like .rtf or maybe just plain text.
    See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html and http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/papado...-response.html and http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/kevin-cole-response.html -- I like the last two better than RMS' response(s). But read the RMS page anyway, if for no other reason than you get to see the Bob Chassell response, which is quite hilarious.

Originally posted by Citadel

The best answer with regard to Microsoft is try never to use it, and choose Linux instead. Not everyone will have that choice, but at least Germany does and eventually all of Europe, and Australia.
    It never occurred to you that many linux users are also happy window users?

There are legitimate MS bashings threads, and then there are completely ridiculous threads. This one is the latter. I fail to see how Microsoft is at fault because a company makes enough "modem" to interface with a phone line, writes the rest in software, and doesn't bother supporting anything other than Windows.

Originally posted by glussier
    It never occurred to you that many linux users are also happy window users?
    The only thing that occured to me when I used Microsoft was that it was time to throw my computer out the window.

I love linux, I like Windows. deal with it

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

I will never touch a machine running the MS platform or MS products or even if it has a MS sticker on the box. Deal with it.

Originally posted by Citadel
    I will never touch a machine running the MS platform or MS products or even if it has a MS sticker on the box. Deal with it.
    MS technology is very prevalent. You would have to live the life of a hermit to avoid using it

Not really. Infact I don't see much of MS products anywhere, but I'm sure that they are around...somewhere!

Originally posted by nextbillgates
    MS technology is very prevalent. You would have to live the life of a hermit to avoid using it
    13 years now, forgot it was 2003, never had Windows, never will, work on a computer/platforms all day every day and I never use it. Along with at least 4K of my colleagues in my campus.

Fix it, yes, I have done that, but use it, no. And come to think of it, I haven't touched it in 6 months. My evil plan to stop being IT for everyone has worked since I converted all my family and friends to Linux.

You are right though, it is prevalent, but it is easy to avoid it is you want.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

Microsoft products became obsolete when the 2.4 kernel hit the market, and now that 2.6 is comming out, Microsoft products will start to dissapear for good.

I will never understand the people, when it comes to Microsoft. really I don't, granted, MS has it's bad points, as does any larger than life corperation does, but lets put facts with the BS, if not for MS, 90% of the technology we have today would not be available, at least not at a price we could afford.

I just wish the "Joe Desktop" linux user would just step back for a moment before talking, and think. Linux is great, but Windows has it's place as well. if you can't deal with that, then maybe you should buy a gameboy.

my 0.02

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived