Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 66

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 66 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Do you trust Microsoft ?

Came across this article while testing my firewall and may be of interest.

http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-022.htm

Another reason to ditch Windows for those still hanging on to it.
    If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets.

Strange MS Hotmail server crash.

Here's a look into a strange MS crash I saw a few days ago. Looks like sloppy configuration and / or programming!

.Net server crash error

Registered Linux User #334411

Pwnd!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...t_oem_shocker/

Looky looky, when you thought it couldn't get any eviler...

So damn glad I'm never going back to windows.

You cannot hate M$, you just can't. For the majority of computer users installing something else besides Windows would be like switching religions or having a gender change. Most of you guys are techies, and you love challenges and need variety. The majority of people unfortunately just wants to open their IE7, log into their MSN , chat on Messanger, and do what they only need to do, not what they should learn how to do.
    Registered Linux User # 394318

Some random rant from Slashdot that made me laugh:

When Microsoft releases security updates, it's cuz the software is crap. When others do it, it's cuz the software rocks. No double standards here. Maybe it's like when girls get naked. If she's good looking, it makes it better. If she's ugly looking, its much worse. Microsoft may be bloated, but needs love just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Piko

I LOLed at this article. I wonder how many users would actually do this. I doubt corporatations even give a damn since they usually have site licenses and it doesn't apply to them. Maybe for small business' this is a problem .

When Microsoft releases security updates, it's cuz the software is crap. When others do it, it's cuz the software rocks. No double standards here. Maybe it's like when girls get naked. If she's good looking, it makes it better. If she's ugly looking, its much worse. Microsoft may be bloated, but needs love just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by r0ck
    You cannot hate M$, you just can't. For the majority of computer users installing something else besides Windows would be like switching religions or having a gender change. Most of you guys are techies, and you love challenges and need variety. The majority of people unfortunately just wants to open their IE7, log into their MSN , chat on Messanger, and do what they only need to do, not what they should learn how to do.
    Actually, for people like that it makes zero difference what OS they use. They can browse the web, check their e-mail, and chat on IM just fine using Windows, Linux, or Mac OS. The only difference is that with two of the three they're going to have a lot less weird unexplained problems. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine which two.

BTW, I would be really impressed if most users have IE7 already since it hasn't been released.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    Actually, for people like that it makes zero difference what OS they use. They can browse the web, check their e-mail, and chat on IM just fine using Windows, Linux, or Mac OS. The only difference is that with two of the three they're going to have a lot less weird unexplained problems. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine which two.

BTW, I would be really impressed if most users have IE7 already since it hasn't been released.
    You're absolutely right. I think for people like that Linux is the definite choice. The problem starts when they go "I would like to install Photoshop" or "I would like to play gameX" and they have a CD that someone gave them that runs on Windows. There's always something that makes people stick with Windows.

Oh yeah, I use Firefox, so that mistake was cause I haven't touched IE for since Firefox 1.03

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko

I can't be surprised about this--except for people being so slow on the uptake--since msft has clearly stated since the early-90's that it has been their intention to do exactly this.
    Interestingly enough, I am hoping to see a legal challenge because you can only license software to human beings--not hardware.

You cannot hate M$, you just can't.
    Sure I can. They sell garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    Actually, for people like that it makes zero difference what OS they use.
    Not according to the owners of cratered xp systems that have been inundating me lately. Golden opportunities, all. God bless their little, click-n-drool souls.

The problem starts when they go "I would like to install Photoshop"...
    I'll have to look into that, 'cause we have some version of Photoshop running under Wine on a Debian-based system in the kids' bedroom. (Their "Creatures 3 system", as they like to call it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    You have obviously misread me - I'm not against making money, especially when it comes to Linux. However, with TCPA the danger exists that Linux (i.e. distros) could be made proprietary software.
    This was said three years ago and thank God free software still is free. However, free software and DRM still is an issue as can be seen in this current discussion:

Lessig, Stallman on 'Open Source' DRM

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Talking Important Installation Instructions

So many cool OS's to play with (Linux, Mac, OpenSolaris, FreeBSD) and so little time

That's not really funny....merged with the other MS 'jokes'

The thing that keeps people on winblows, and this is where microsoft is smart, is most people like easy. They want stuff to just work. They don't care how it works, or why it works. They just want it to work. For that matter most windows users do not actually know that much about how to use a computer, or how it works, nor do they want to.

The average user simply wants to be able to click one icon to install a program for example and click another to make it work. Anything past that is too much for them and, in their opinions, to hard. While it is easy for most of us here, and must of us do not even notice we do it anymore, to edit a few text files to get some hardware or program working correctly people moving over from windows find it to be too much. They just want to be able to click (installed) click again (runs fine without editing anything).

They come, they try linux, they find out they have to edit a few files, and they leave bashing linux on the way out. In the meantime here we are thinking all they had to do was this and this and this to fix whatever problem they complained about. For us it is easy and common place and more than worth the effort to give us the little bit of extra control we want as well as the ability to get away from Micro$oft's crap. However, for the average user it just isn't worth it and is far too hard. I know my parents, brother, and a few cousins who are all pretty good with the computer and fixing their windows problems would be completely lost in linux.

In my opinion the above keeps many many many users from switching over. However, that is (unfortunately) not the only problem. I wish it was as those problems are getting better by the day. But there is an even bigger issue.

The bigger issue is the monopoly we call Microsoft. As we all know, there is only one real reason M$ came up with DRM technology. It was smart on their part. It keeps people on windows. They appeased the large media companies, and it had nothing to do with agreeing with them, and made DRM to "protect" the media owner’s interest. That is all a huge line of horse $^%#.

Truth is they came up with it having the result we have today in mind. The truth is they got what they wanted. So they design the DRM software with the idea of not allowing it to work on any competitors that could bite them in the rear. Microsoft isn't stupid. They know Apple is not, nor will be for some time to come, a threat to the desktop market. Yet even then DRM/WMA files, to my understanding, are limited to two channels on Macs. But, a free OS improving leaps and bounds by the year? That in itself can be scary. Don't fear though. There is DRM. So if you want to play your music you bought on your computer you have in all of its glory you must use windows, or to a lesser extend a Mac.

That is their catch people. That is what keeps loads of people on windows. Ha, I still have a windows partition that I find myself in at least part of each day. I am writing this from my windows partition just so I can listen to my 3 Doors Down I downloaded from Yahoo Music. Sure, I could just go buy the CDs from the store, but for the price and the amount of music I have, yahoo music is much much cheaper. Who needs CDs when I can play music on any computer in my house, stream it to my music system, or put it on my IRiver to play anywhere else I want including the car.

And the funny thing is, here is Realmedia telling linux to add DRM or die. Well if linux did add DRM it would have to make its own cause Microsoft isn't offering it on linux and I doubt they will anytime soon. That is a key player that keeps people stuck on windows. Why in the world would they want to give that up?

Personally do I believe DRM is a good thing? NO.. It is evil, unjust, wrong, and a hindrance to a healthy lifestyle. However, Microsoft has made it so easy to use that people using windows do not even know their hands have been bound and tied behind their backs. As such, and I hate to say this, the adoption of linux would happen much much faster if we just gave in and came up with our own DRM software. Do I think we should? I don't really know. I know that the linux community will have to make compromises, but I am not so sure that is the one to make.

---EDIT---
    Well I just read an article, from a couple of months ago (boy am I behind), that says Sun has already made an opensource DRM. O-Well.
    ---END EDIT ADDITION---

Like I said, I have my DRM music I can play anywhere in my house, in my car, while I am walking down the street. The only thing I can't do with it is write it to CD. But because they have made it so easy for me to use and switch to all of the other devices I don't really care. My point is that is how the majority of people feel. Their attitudes are, big freaken deal. They don't care because it is easy. For most users it always goes back to easy, and M$ has done a great job of ripping people off and tying their hands behind their backs while at the same time making life easy for them.

Sure, linux is a far better OS which gives you much more control. But with all of that freedom something is lost. Ease of use. Not for us who love how linux works. But the ease of use is lost for those in the windows world who just want to click (install) click (works).

I find that most linux users attitudes is that windows users just need to change they way they think about computers and decide to do it the right way, the linux way. It isn't going to happen, and in reality there is nothing wrong with an overly easy to use OS. Do I think linux is ready for the desktop? Sure, especially come KDE4. Sorry Gnome guys, I personally prefer all of the greatness that is KDE. However, until one of three things, and a forth thing, happens linux will probably not make it to mainstream desktop use for sometime and Micro$oft wins again. That is: (1) linux can give in and come up with some DRM technology, (2) Somehow the population can be convinced of its evils, or (3) Musicians come to their senses and tell the record labels to stick it, and (4) linux just needs to become more click install – click use for the people that just want stuff to work without editing anything and making sure configuration files are correct.

And I will have to cut this off here as I am now bored of music and will be logging back into linux. So you all can flame me now..
    Last edited by michaeln; 04-28-2006 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln
    The thing that keeps people on winblows, and this is where microsoft is smart, is most people like easy. They want stuff to just work.
    Well, the thing with MS Windows is that it does not work. Everyone who has been trying to work with it for a longer time or works in tech support can tell you that.

Yesterday my dad bought the new Intel iMac. Everything went nicely and hassle free until he decided to install Microsoft Office for Mac (God forgive him). There we were back at punching in some cryptic 30 characters to prevent piracy, in return the software gave us back another string of numbers for MS tech support, and the rest of the time was spent preventing unwanted software from being installed ("No, we don't want MSN messenger and Windows Media Player on a Mac. WTF? ).

Personally do I believe DRM is a good thing? NO.. It is evil, unjust, wrong, and a hindrance to a healthy lifestyle. (...) Like I said, I have my DRM music I can play anywhere in my house, in my car, while I am walking down the street. The only thing I can't do with it is write it to CD. But because they have made it so easy for me to use and switch to all of the other devices I don't really care.
    You should care because as long as your music is still in DRM format, you are on the leash of the one who published it. As long as this is the case, they can also revoke your ability to play it the way you want. Personally I shop only at the iTunes Music Store because I can write my songs to CDs and rip them back as mp3/ogg files. I recommend you stop to trust what you consider yourself to be evil and free your music while you still can.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    Well, the thing with MS Windows is that it does not work. Everyone who has been trying to work with it for a longer time or works in tech support can tell you that.
    You get no disagreement from me there. Just that when it does work it is easier to use... Why just last week MS Winblows would not allow me to open folders. Gave me some BS memory in the wrong address crap. Then a few days later it just started working again. No viruses on my computer or anything. Just windows decided it wanted to do that I suppose.

However, keep in mind, linux isn't perfect as well. With an un messed with kubuntu install I have a problem with firefox crashing a good bit and noatun will not start at all and I can't even get to kernel to spit out /dev/(whatever it is) so I can watch TV in Ktv. The difference between Windows and Linux is I actually have a better chance of fixing it in Linux as I have greater control over the system.

Yesterday my dad bought the new Intel iMac. Everything went nicely and hassle free until he decided to install Microsoft Office for Mac (God forgive him). There we were back at punching in some cryptic 30 characters to prevent piracy, in return the software gave us back another string of numbers for MS tech support, and the rest of the time was spent preventing unwanted software from being installed ("No, we don't want MSN messenger and Windows Media Player on a Mac. WTF? ).
    Doesn't OpenOffice work on Macs?

You should care because as long as your music is still in DRM format, you are on the leash of the one who published it. As long as this is the case, they can also revoke your ability to play it the way you want. Personally I shop only at the iTunes Music Store because I can write my songs to CDs and rip them back as mp3/ogg files. I recommend you stop to trust what you consider yourself to be evil and free your music while you still can.
    Don't get me wrong, or rather don't misunderstand me. I, personally, do care from a certain point. By that I mean, it pisses me off that Microsoft is so sleezy to have done something like this to bind me to window. It pisses me off that the US government has let them get away with it.

However, understand there is a good reason it does not bother me that I can't write the songs to CD. I don't buy them. I, in terms of tangable objects, rent them you might say on a subscription basis. That in turn gives yahoo the right to tell me how I can use them, just like your landlord you rent your home from has the right to tell you no pets or no parties and not to park on the grass you are renting from him/her. Now if I want the ability to write the songs to disk I can purchase them at $0.79 per song just like ITunes charges $0.99. But I don't really care. I don't want to. I am fine with the way it is now. When I stop my subscription with Yahoo I will just forget about most of the music I now have on my computer just like you will one day leave the home you rent, if you rent. The songs I really do like I do purchase at $0.79 a song. Whole CDs I like I buy from the store.

All in all do I like the situation. Not just no be H-E-double hocky sticks no.... But until someone breaks up Microsoft I am afraid we will be stuck with them. And, in a somewhat jokingly manner, someone better do it before they take over the US government and start for the UN..

Just that when it does work it is easier to use...
    I doubt this is true. The sole reason why Windows is easy to use is because everyone develops for this platform so most software and support is available for this platform. Installing software e.g. by means of Adept in Kubuntu is a lot simpler. In Linux, every newbie first is disappointed because he/she can't just download and install software anymore, but once they realize it's all in their package manager anyway they're happier than ever.

The difference between Windows and Linux is I actually have a better chance of fixing it in Linux as I have greater control over the system.
    100% agreement here.

Doesn't OpenOffice work on Macs?
    Yes, it does. My dad works on some official documents that aren't rendered correctly when displayed in OpenOffice, though. However, he likes OO better, so I guess he'll just use both of them.

I don't buy them. I, in terms of tangable objects, rent them you might say on a subscription basis.
    Okay, I didn't know that, so I can see your point now. However, I personally don't like the idea of renting things since I'm not entirely free to use something whenever I want it to use. In other words, I'm never sure if the object of my desire is available when I want it. There's probably also a cultural difference between us; overhere in Switzerland even renting things is so expensive that one has to seriously think if it's not cheaper in the long run to buy it.