Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 72

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1139

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Thumbs up Re: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Hello, robagen!
    Quote Originally Posted by robagen
    ...And it's FASCINATING that there are now more than three..?..distros that feature the, er, XGL, or whatever, you know, the ahem, rotating eyecandy, and folks don't have to run out and get a dual pci express motherboard to do it! (I'll get around to it after the new year ).
    May this be a swell Open Source new year!
    Thank you for sharing your experience with Vista. How many corporations are going to go for the "deluxe" version if even their graphics cards are "insufficient"? Plus, I do a lot of contract technical-writing for different companies, until something permanent comes along, and most of the computers I use just meet, or slightly exceed, the basic requirements for Windows XP; most of these machines can probably handle most basic version of Vista, which means that the corporations will most likely stay with XP, especially given hardware and software compatibility problems.

I think that the impressive technologies for Linux, such as XGL, are impressive, and "eyecandy" is enjoyable and certainly makes Linux appealing to potential new users of Linux (and anything to increase the appeal of Linux is always good, although the inherent benefits of Linux stand on their own).

For the members of the JustLinux community, robagen, every year is a "swell open source new year." Of course, the growth of open-source software and GNU/Linux, in general, helps make the world a better place, in my opinion. (I cannot imagine life without GNU/Linux, and I am actually beginning to resent occasions when I am forced to use Windows, which is not a professional attitude.)

I do hope that we will see more media coverage about open-source software, and -- better yet -- an increase in the use of GNU/Linux and and other open-source projects.

Thank you, robagen!

Cordially,

David
    Linux Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux (Desktop & Server)

Registered Linux User # 315892
    <http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must
    invent reason; we must create
    beauty out of nothingness."
    -- Elie Wiesel

Gary Arthur Weaver: 18 July 1942 - 29 December 2006

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMD
    I do hope that we will see more media coverage about open-source software, and -- better yet -- an increase in the use of GNU/Linux and and other open-source projects.

Thank you, robagen!

Cordially,

David
    Recently it seems that finnish computer magazines have realized the growing userbase of linux and there has been a lot more articles about it. People just have to be vocal towards this windows centric media before they understand that linux users do exist and that in fact we are here in considerable numbers.

It's very much up to us and our requests what the media will cover. If you feel it's important and would like to read more articles about linux then it's up to you to tell them that more such coverage is needed.

Supply will follow the demand.
    ladoga

Thumbs up Re: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Greetings, ladoga.

I agree that we definitely need to try to get the media to cover more news about open-source software and GNU/Linux, but we must be tactful, or we might end up being compared to the stereotypical "Amiga zealots" of a few years ago (if such "urban legends" hold any truth) -- and not being taken seriously.

Basically, we have to present real news items (e.g., entire city governments in Europe that have switched to Linux and open source software); be well-mannered; and, of course, neither strident nor combative.

For example, I have some friends and relatives whom I would love to try Linux, but we have discussed the topic before and they are not at all interested in Linux -- so I would be doing Linux a disservice by continuing to list the advantages of Linux over Windows and trying to persuade them to try Linux every time that I saw them!

In addition, I would alienate people about whom I care a great deal!

I think that we need to approach the media with a similar attitude, and I do not think that we will get Linux and open-source more coverage by "bashing" Windows, as tempting as that approach might be. (GNU/Linux software has bugs and problems, of course, but we are open and make no effort to conceal anything; GNU/Linux source code is, by nature, freely available!)

I very much agree with you, ladoga, but we have to be careful as to how we present Linux, and ourselves, to the media and to the people with whom we interact each day.

Thank you, ladoga! I hope that you understand the point that I am trying to make; I realize that I am not doing very well!

Cordially,

David
    Linux Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux (Desktop & Server)

Registered Linux User # 315892
    <http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must
    invent reason; we must create
    beauty out of nothingness."
    -- Elie Wiesel

Gary Arthur Weaver: 18 July 1942 - 29 December 2006

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMD
    For example, I have some friends and relatives whom I would love to try Linux, but we have discussed the topic before and they are not at all interested in Linux -- so I would be doing Linux a disservice by continuing to list the advantages of Linux over Windows and trying to persuade them to try Linux every time that I saw them!
    I think that preaching is never good. One should respect other's choices.
    People will ask if they are interested and they will tell if they have problems with their current OS and you can offer them a solution.

I think that we need to approach the media with a similar attitude, and I do not think that we will get Linux and open-source more coverage by "bashing" Windows, as tempting as that approach might be
    No, media is different. Media is serving it's customers, us, in order to get profit. We need to give them feedback of their services - be vocal and request what we want from them. Otherwise they will serve other groups.

Everyone should use the software he/she is happy with. My MS bashing is limited to how MS makes _my_ life harder. :E People are rightfully annoyed of stuff like microsoft tax and it's very good it's being questioned in media.
    Last edited by ladoga; 01-08-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    ladoga

Smart Business to make $$$. is the main reason why i hate them. but then again who wouldnt want to be rich .

I don't really like them nor hate them. they are a company trying to make money. MS is just not my thing and ill stick with Opensource for as long as i live !!!!
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

I don't have a problem with a company making money. It's the tendency that some companies have to make money by any means necessary that I find irritating. Microsoft is not alone in this respect; but, that does not make them any less irritating.

I agree. I don't personally like MS. People who know me know that im a *NIX nerd.

I really don't see any reason in using Microsoft Products. I also agree Ms is very irritating, they just make products to make money and the main reason why i hate them.
    -LINUS TORVALDS

Quote Originally Posted by crow2icedearth
    they just make products to make money and the main reason why i hate them.
    That is actually the wrong reason to hate. If not for the Creative-iPod saga, I would have loved Creative while it still made money...

The thing is that M$ deliberately used underhanded means to get where they are. Same with Jobs. Cheating on ones best friend, who were the main contributor to your empire, is something I consider inhuman. Unethical business practices, corrupted intentions and so forth only make sure the cauldron in B18 is reserved for them

ps: B18 -- Lowest level in Hell in Chinese terms...
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

they just make products to make money and the main reason why i hate them
    [QUOTE]

well this all started back when MS bought the rights to QDOS. then called it MS-DOS. remember the old days of dos. MS never wrote the program. They paid money for it so they could make a fortune. This made the millions. The program wasnt that good either.

The thing is that M$ deliberately used underhanded means to get where they are. Same with Jobs. Cheating on ones best friend, who were the main contributor to your empire, is something I consider inhuman. Unethical business practices, corrupted intentions and so forth only make sure the cauldron in B18 is reserved for them
    I totally agree with you there.
    -LINUS TORVALDS

Windows and NSA. We told you so!

Hey all,
    Saw an article online, saying that Microsoft has admitted working with the NSA (national security administration) in the development of Windows Vista.
    So, M$ will be in charge of your computer's "security". I guess all the "hysteria" by the Unix/Linux community might actually be true.

Here is the article in German:
    http://www.welt.de/data/2007/01/10/1172144.html?prx=1

Thx
    Deum solum fidentia est

What, they've deliberately hamstrung the encryption? I don't think this is the first time, I read somewhere sometime ago that they weakened the encryption on copies of older windows software shipped to foreign countries. Could be the rumour mill though.

In a post 9/11 world, I don't think its insane to be sceptical of NSA's spying intent.

(waiting for a mod to merge this into the main thread..)
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Merged threads.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Wired magazine has a nice Windows Vista rant by an originally die-hard Windows fan.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Why do i have to reboot to remove Adobe Reader?

(thats my hating MS in a nut shell by the way...)