Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 73

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23636970717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1139

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    Wired magazine has a nice Windows Vista rant by an originally die-hard Windows fan.
    Actually, thats not fair. The writer talks about RC1 when it is already known that RC1 is hell compared to vista final. And vista final is already out.

However, it must be noted that vista final is already horrible compared to linux circa Jan 2007, and Mac OS X of any version. This only goes to show how ridiculous is the base of vista, RC1 being the stepping stone to build final.

Good riddance.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

The fact is if you used Vista beta 2, RC-1, or 2 then you know you do not need Vista on your computer any time soon. There are plenty of options out there and they cost less to use.

ed

Quote Originally Posted by enshum
    The fact is if you used Vista beta 2, RC-1, or 2 then you know you do not need Vista on your computer any time soon.
    I know I won't need Vista for the foreseeable future though I haven't used any of them. However, I must be under the spell of the wicked witch --- I'm doomed to maintain any wretched install any relative may have.

Day by day, I find myself unable to draw myself away from the temptation to turn a blind eye and hand in slipshod work...

I mean, its inevitable! There are so many relatives, and every year you hear someone buying a new computer. Every so often, you will find that they call themselves computer illiterate, and all of a sudden your new year's eve is gone: wasted on another windows install that you know won't last 2 weeks. And don't forget --- my fortified windows install usually takes 3 weeks to install, with everything locked down nicely. Alas, the standard install still takes longer than it takes to ruin it. Sigh...

Society asked for it. Why am I paying the price for it?

Anyway, I was just celebrating our families' independence of proprietary software other than WinXP, and now my brother orders for a laptop with only 1 requirement: Vista. DRM, security, M$'s own advice not to use Vista for the moment won't stop it.

I'd better not see the broom. No amount of magic will save the witch from my whacking....
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Just do what I do when people ask for Windows advice: If it's not so simple one sentence will answer the question just tell them you don't know (which is generally true, if it's Windows and more complicated than that I probably don't know off the top of my head anymore). The trouble starts when the computer is nearby and they just want you to "take a look".

Apparently, Microsoft got busted for paying someone to edit Wikipedia. Link to article:

CNN: Microsoft in hot water over Wikipedia

I figured this deserved a mention in this thread.

I have changed my mind on hating Microsoft.

It is reported in many mag's i read that up to 100,000 new jobs will be created to support just upgrading to Vista.

Any company that can create jobs on that scale surely deserves some credit for keeping the economy going.

pffft who said windows doesnt have security out the ying yang

... job security

Exclamation windows vista going on sale jan 30

so..... should i start stocking my bomb shelter now?
    BEHOLD!!! MY AWESOME HUMILITY!
    Ex Linux, Scientia

i use:
    centos 5.2 on 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (filer/print server)
    ubuntu 8.10 on 1.6 GHz Celeron M (personal laptop)

Time to start backing up the Internet, I think...

James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net
    -----------------------------

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

Not much of news and a very pointless post

Remember kids, you don't have to buy it and you don't have to pirate it because you can...there's a lot better things to do and waste your time and money on

I already had to install it at work.

The user account controls that they added are going to be completely worthless IMHO. They don't actually prompt for an administrator password, they basically just ask "Are you sure you want to do what you just said you wanted to do?" It reminds me of their "locked down" IE in Server 2003 that a Windows guy showed me once. It asked if you wanted to visit every single website until you whitelisted them. Everybody will start automatically clicking OK (heck I was by the time I finished the install and setup) and it won't accomplish much of anything.

Anyway, it's definitely not going on any of my home computers, hopefully ever. There's really nothing in it that I am particularly interested in, and they've made some changes for the sake of change that I don't like.

Merge with the Main MS Hating thread?

"Everybody will start automatically clicking OK (heck I was by the time I finished the install and setup) and it won't accomplish much of anything." Microsoft is counting on that happening they still want to sell a lot of licenses. Licenses thats were the big bucks are! The next time your in Frys or Office depot take note of the piles of boxes of software necessary to keep Windows clean and running somebody bought a license to write the software and the user will likewise. What a rip. Microsoft king of the consumer screwer's
    ed

Very true. When I was installing Vista the guy beside me in the lab was setting up AdAware to run on a schedule. And these are on development lab machines that shouldn't be used for the usual spyware culprits.

Think we can do with a bit of decoration here to anticipate a massive influx of disgruntled Vista users dropping in to search for alternatives.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

"Think we can do with a bit of decoration here to anticipate a massive influx of disgruntled Vista users dropping in to search for alternatives." At 299.95 a pop for Vista Ultimate Disappointment pro thats a lot of upset.

ed