Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 74

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1139

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

Merged threads.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Microsoft attempt to steal BlueJ technology. Just like that...
    Registered Linux User #314213

It's the 30th of January, and "IT" is in the computer stores..the
    colossus itself, Vista.
    I went in to feel up a machine with Vista installed.
    Cost, 9 billion, did they say?
    A more considered interface than XP(On a podcast via The
    Chris Pirillo show, the Microsoft functionary in question all
    but ADMITTED the XP scheme was pushed together to get
    THAT part of the work out of the way..Fisher-Price strontium90
    green!! etc.)...resulting in a smoother interface, more attractive
    by far, and some eyecandy--Aero.
    And that's IT.
    Time to break out my saved howto's on "Enabling {The 3d effect
    stuff}in LINUX"!!

I happened to be at the Costco store in Wilsonville, Oregon yesterday and I was impressed no long lines to get Vista, no crowds around the computer displays. As close as I could tell there were only three vista boxes missing from the display.

ed

ive heard atleast two reports from the hoopleheads that the bestbuy boys are trying to show off the 3d effects and eyecandy to sell vista, and for the hooples its working till they hit the price tag and what not

i showed a few of them beryl, as a MEH to aero, so yea i dont think vista has a leg to stand on, anyone remember the zune?

I found this little tidbit. I doubt very many of you are considering it but just in case you're having a hard time deciding whether you should get Vista, here's a flowchart to help.

Vista Upgrade Flowchart

The only thing I like about vista is the fact that its an enormous heap of garbage and that I can continue to despise it for a few more years.

Yea ive tried vista and i was a beta tester through many stages. The only positive thing i can say about vista is the installation process is better than xp, but still not as good as distros like suse. For example to partition and install xp, just the os takes me over an hour. To do the same and install a linux distro takes me under 20 mins. Once you actually run vista (after spending hundreds on upgrades) theyve taken the worst aspects of xp and believe it or not made them even worser, like file searching for instance! Anyway as linux gets easier and more supported for the common person i expect you can see more people switching, maybe permantly. I still use xp myself on some of my home systems but what makes me disgrunteled as a user is that ever since win95 there has been no real effort put in to their os's and money spent on trying to defeat pirating, yes they can spend money limiting it but you will never defeat pirating. The best way to make money and keep a market share is to produce unriveled software at a reasonable price (unlike vista's highway robbery).

Anyway on the subject in hand im reading more in to it but i just wanted to mention and hear views or get more info. A while back i heard about a 'bluechip' or something that is a proposed chipset in mobos so when running microsoft os's in the future it would be even stricter than it is now and nnnt even allow any files or drivers to run that werent digitally signed by microsoft? (currently just a warning shows on xp and vista). If this ever did happen i wouldnt be able to use half my hardware on another rig i have. All legal but things like cctv and stuff. It would also bump up the prices of all software and destroy many innovative small software companies.

i think its pointless to hate a company. if you dont like them or there product just don't use them... the same goes for music , movies. if you don't like it don't support it.
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

I would say many users are more disgrunteled then harbouring hatred .. Thats the reason why i wont upgrade to vista and wont pay hundreds to support it

Quote Originally Posted by crow2icedearth
    i think its pointless to hate a company. if you dont like them or there product just don't use them... the same goes for music , movies. if you don't like it don't support it.
    Thats not the point. The point is that MS pollute our fair and pleasant pastures with their pandemically bad software.

He who already uses MS will adopt new nastiness quickly and stifle the devout who would gaze upon the tranquil meadows of *nix.

Actually using Vista on someone-elses box (after using 100% linux for the last year at home) is like getting a golden envelope through the post to find out that it merely contains a 3 month trial subscription to Readers Digest. Even if you do accept the offer, the cover is torn and its full of insurance company flyers.

Go to the corner shop and you'll find racks of Readers Digest all over the place and maybe an old copy of National Geographic that you really wanted, lurking behind the fishing magazines.

I realise that may be one metaphor too far but what the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by wossname
    I realise that may be one metaphor too far but what the hell.
    You have a very entertaining writing style for a newbie on the forums.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation

I tried to wait till I was of a level head and my anger subsided to post tis, but every time I think about it I am angry all over again.

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244

yeah, they suck
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Vista - Arrogance & Stupidity

Wow this has got to be a real hit on those toes for bill gates!
    Upgrading to Windows Vista has been banned by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), technology giant Texas Instruments and other corporations and government agencies (V1, V10, V11). These organizations are evaluating their options, but overseas it's turning into a stampede to get out of Microsoft software (V15).

Read the rest of the article here:
    http://aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html

this is just too hillarious to read.

on a side note, my sister just bought a hp laptop about a week ago. it had vista on it. she called me up and said Please remove this "crap" i cant use it.
    Last edited by cylent77; 05-13-2007 at 08:54 AM.