Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 75

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1139

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

And guess what Microsoft is up to now:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu.../28/100033867/
    the celtic geek
    CentOS 4.4
    Registered Linux User 392268
    We Wear Woad When We Write Code

They will never sue. That's because spreading FUD works better. They don't have to pay lawyers for a trial they will lose without any doubts. If there were any infringements they will be all over it right now. Meanwhile, I join the chorus and demand as well : show us the code!
    Registered Linux User #314213

aNoob

Your link makes for some good reading, but why should they show their code? All they have to do is take any linux code and use it as their own ( because its free for the taking ) patent it and say the linux community is breaking the patent laws. I don't know if you can patent code but the product I'm guessing can be. I'll be the first to admit I don't understand much if anything about this, and I am in know way standing up for microsoft, fact is, I only boot into win to play a game I like, other than that I use only linux. In fact I have most of my family using linux now.
    I believe microsoft has taken a large part of linux code/ideas and put it into Vista, (badly I might add) but as long as linux code is open they have the right to use it like it or not. That doesn't make it right, not in the least, but thats how it will be unless we can find a way to stop them.

mrrangerman43,
    That's not quite true.Or only half true. That piece of code (Microsoft will take and show) belongs to me as well. And I will also sue Microsoft. And like me ,thousands. But to make things clear, the problem is not the code (which you can't patent), problems are mouse gestures or three buttons on the windows you just name it. The problem is that Microsoft can't start such a process because that's what Sun, IBM,RedHat etc just wait. Only IBM can show their myriad of patents (which many,including Microsoft "infringes"). It's like opening the Pandora box and Microsoft knows this.
    And to come back to the code, it is not the code written by Microsoft, origin can be tracked without any problems and I can bet this origin is not Microsoft Labs
    I'm not here to "stop them", I just say what I believe will happen and that is,as I previously stated, it is extremely unlikely Microsoft will sue anyone using Linux and derivatives because then they have to clearly state which patents these guys infringe . And as we already know ... difficult to stay alive once this box was open.
    Registered Linux User #314213

Just as a footnote, here's ZNet's article on the patent issue:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6183437.html
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
    (No trees were killed in posting this message. However, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.)
    ----------------------------------
    Debian user since Potato
    Syngin: Web Portfolio

aNoob

Like I said above "I don't understand much if anything about this" but I'm sure I will learn more, as I aready have (thank you ) I'm try to learn C and I think as I progress in programming, this will become a more tender subject. As for microsoft, I don't fault them as a buisness wanting to make money, but I do condemn the way they have done it.

Food for thought:
    You know the saying "its a dog eat dog world"? well when the last dog has been eaten by the biggest dog, how long before the biggest dog will end up starving to death?

If you want to find out "in a nutshell" about everything that's going on I recommend http://groklaw.net . They cover every angle of the assault on linux.
    As for me, I think this is the beginning of the "dark years" for GNU/Linux where MS pulls out all the stops. Here's an example....a few years ago there was a distro called Lindows. MS sued them to make them change their name and lost here in the US. Lindows could keep the name. What did MS do? Since the internet is global, they sued Lindows in Finland and other countries around the globe forcing them to either cough up the money for lawyers in those countries, or change their name. Since they couldn't afford lawyers in every country on the planet they changed their name to Linspire.
    I think MS is going to be the "Son of SCO"....like a gangster walking into a store and saying "Nice place you got here...it'd be a shame if anything happened to it, like a fire. Perhaps you should buy fire insurance from me."
    Scumbags.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro
    I think MS is going to be the "Son of SCO"....like a gangster walking into a store and saying "Nice place you got here...it'd be a shame if anything happened to it, like a fire. Perhaps you should buy fire insurance from me."
    Well, this perfectly sums it all up.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

"I think MS is going to be the "Son of SCO" At some point they will resemble goliath with David standing on their chest cutting off the head with a sword.

ed

Speaking of Ms... someone should block their ads from showing on just linux.
    It's mostly propaganda, with a few facts thrown in to make it seem legit.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa

Quote Originally Posted by boxxertrumps
    Speaking of Ms... someone should block their ads from showing on just linux.
    It's mostly propaganda, with a few facts thrown in to make it seem legit.
    Heh, at least you didn't start a whole new thread for it. This topic comes up about once a month, but there isn't much JustLinux can do about it, and besides if MS wants to support a Linux site who are we to tell them they can't?

If you search the forum for microsoft ads or something you should find all of the previous discussions.

For a while i thought those were google ads (micro**** ads are identicle) and with google ads you can block advertisements based on the redirect URL.
    So NVM... Thanks anyways.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa

I wonder, though--how did Microsoft convince Novell, Samsung, Fuji Xerox, Xandros, and now LG to pay Microsoft in order to continue using Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by nabetse
    I wonder, though--how did Microsoft convince Novell, Samsung, Fuji Xerox, Xandros, and now LG to pay Microsoft in order to continue using Linux?
    Money talks.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

I do not believe these companies are paying MS for anything. The agreements are for cross lic. and working agreements mostly covering system interoperablity. Another words MS is trying to slow down future loss of market share. Novell has a large number patents in there war chest as does MS so there agreement is mutually beneficial however both would get strangled by Big Blue in a patent fight. IBM bought a 25Million$ stake in Novell just before the the sco thing started. I guess it pays to know who really owns the Unix Family jewels. MS tried to sink Linux through sco and shot off one of their own testies in the process. As long as Novell has the Unix jewels they have MS and Apple right were they want them and IBM stands at their side with one damn big bat in hand.

ed