Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread - Page 9

View Poll Results: Do you think making Linux and MS interactable (kinda) a good idea?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a great idea

3 27.27%
  • Yes, it's an ok idea

1 9.09%
  • It wouldn't hurt

3 27.27%
  • No, Linux should stick to Linux and Microsoft should stick to Microsoft

4 36.36%
  • Or just use CrossOver Office

0 0%
Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Main "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell" thread

I love Windows! If it weren't for windows this thread would be about OS X vs Linux and I wouldn't understand what anyone was talking about since I haven't used Macs since the '90's .
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Proof that windows sucks.

I just shutdown my win xp box (yes yes, i know, its sad that I have a windows box) because of a storm, I shut it down like normal. Once the computer had turned off.. I unplugged it because the storm was really close. When I plugged it back in, windows said I didn't shutdown and it wanted me to scandisk. So, I just skipped it, then when I tried to start winamp.. windows had corrupted it, then I tried to open opera so I could download a new copy of winamp, and it was corrupt too! The reason I post this is to show people that what everybody says about windows sucking, is true.

Stephen
    Project Penguin Database
    Help out the linux community by putting your linux box in the Project Penguin Database.
    The Project Penguin Database is a centralized database of linux boxes around the world.

My box information

Windows XP, unlike the 9x series, doesn't do a scandisk after every bad shutdown, it does it only when there is inconsistency in the file system. Had you let it complete, it would've probably recovered.

User error.

Originally posted by nextbillgates
    Windows XP, unlike the 9x series, doesn't do a scandisk after every bad shutdown, it does it only when there is inconsistency in the file system. Had you let it complete, it would've probably recovered.

User error.
    I hate to agree, but I must.
    Daniel
    Linux User# 315525
    (K)ubuntu User# 9252

does that inclue FAT32, or just NTFS?
    Project Penguin Database
    Help out the linux community by putting your linux box in the Project Penguin Database.
    The Project Penguin Database is a centralized database of linux boxes around the world.

My box information

I shut it down like normal.
    You didn't shut down the system properly, otherwise you wouldn't have been asked to run the scandisk. Also, you should have installed winxp on an ntfs partition, I don't understand people running an nt o/s on fat32 partitions.

Originally posted by FlipinMonkeyPie
    I'm not sure. I don't use FAT32, since I see no good reason to.

Scandisk would have recovered, if only you had given-it a chance to recover.

Originally posted by glussier
    You didn't shut down the system properly, otherwise you wouldn't have been asked to run the scandisk.
    not true, i did shut it down like normal.... start > turn off computer > turn off and waited until the power shut off. I run FAT32 because I like having read/write access to my windows partition from my linux (since this box dual boots)
    Project Penguin Database

My box information

Originally posted by glussier
    Scandisk would have recovered, if only you had given-it a chance to recover.
    last time my friend tried to let scandisk "fix it", he lost all of his data.
    Project Penguin Database

My box information

I like having read/write access to my windows partition from my linux (since this box dual boots)
    Since you need to share information from both o/S, what you should do, is install winxp on an ntfs partition and have a fat32 partition to share information between the 2 operating systems.

when I installed my XP, it was easier to just install it all onto FAT32..
    Project Penguin Database

My box information

This is the first time I hear scandisk destroying the content of a whole partition. Let me tell you that it is hard to believe.

Uh huh

Think of FAT32 as ext2, and you haven't shut down your OS properly (wether or not it's something you did or a fault of the OS is irrelavant). Both of them will go through a consistency check.

Now, would you cancel an ext2 fsck? No? Didn't think so. So why do it for FAT32?

This very well could just be another instance of M$ instability. Even though it seems that it was shut down properly and scandisk wasn't run, there still should be enough stability to at least have things run properly. A while back while I was still running 98SE it would make my HDDs spin faster than they were designed to and eventually they would get off balance and the heads would crash forcing me to do a reinstall. I left my computer on for about 7 months straight so I wouldn't have to resintall it again. Regardless, M$ sucks, unless it's for gaming. You've found your new home here.

Jon
    P3 933Mzh
    256MB SDRAM
    64MB Geforce MMX
    Gentoo Linux
    ------------------------------------------------
    IBM T23 P3 1.25Ghz
    256 SDRAM
    Red Hat 8.0
    -------------------------------------------------
    Registered Linux User #317630