A simple suggestion for the overwhelmed newbie - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A simple suggestion for the overwhelmed newbie

Even I switched back to KDE, Gnome is a mess now. KDE sure has come a long way!
    Linux user #367409

Quote Originally Posted by infiniphunk View Post
    I will agree. the last release getting the adjustment of default screen resolution thing figured out makes it an attractive desktop if you have the equipment.

While I don't like Gnome3 on a desktop (I've grown to like it on a netbook), I don't think I've ever liked KDE. Granted I don't think I've even loaded it since KDE3 first came out. I started in Black Box because I had a crap computer, then Gnome2 after upgrades, then Gnome as DM with Enlightenment as WM hybrid, then full blown Enlightenment. I run Gnome3 on the netbook.

I'm sure I can configure any DM to act like Enlightenment, but it behaves how I want out-of-box and I just have to configure eyecandy. Mainly, the way it handles focus - forms do not come to front unless you click the title bar(or in my case alt+click since I remove borders), mouse move changes focus (I can flick the mouse instead of fully grip it), can get rid of borders completely (love fully transparent shells that appear like text on top of the desktop image), virtual desktop thumbnails update and increase in size on mouse over - can pull programs out of thumbnail to current desktop, no start bar (menu is right click desktop or windows key type in app name - tho I usually type the name in a terminal with & so I can see error dumps), etc.

I've grown used to that behavior and as much as I usually embrace change, the above behavior is something I can't part with - no matter how pretty the eye candy.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

blackbelt_jones

I want to get a live CD for each desktop environment. when I do this Remember that you're testing the desktop environment itself, and not the applications. thanks for shearing this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by infiniphunk View Post
    Agreed, though I still love KDE3 on my notebook. Up to the most recent stable release of Slackware 13.37, I've still been able to run KDE3.5 from packages in the unsupported repositories. I haven't been able to run them on the Release candidates for Slackware 14, and that's dissapointing, but I still have Slax, and KIARA, my own customized version of Slax. KDE3 is more limited than KDE4, but less perfect, and I love Knewsticker

http://www.kiaragnulinux.blogspot.com/

Note::In case anybody wants to download KIARA: I keep the web software for continually upgraded, but the base is Slax 6.1.2, which is getting a little bit long in the tooth. Usually that doesn't matter. Text editing is still text editing, right? But you can't mount a partition formatted with the EXT4 filesystem, at least by the usual means. For that reason, I still keep all of my /home directories on partitions that are formatted with EXT3

But anyway, for my main Desktop system, KDE4 is pretty good.

Just recently I have turned two MS Windows users into Penguin Heads. Both of Which had repeatedly said they would never even try Linux. Now they won't go back to Windows. One even still finds it hard to believe that Linux is free.

That's odd, I installed Knoppix 7.2 on one of my HD's, during the install it was looking for a FDD(which I do not have on my box). Just wait, it will install, it just takes a while.

After 15 years of bouncing around all the Windows and Linux OS's, and dropping windows like "a hot coal", I found that best of the best is Scientific Linux for a simple solid all around good working super-secure OS.. and after UE 3.4 died, Ultimate Edition 3.4.2 for the best and funnest general media OS.. and DBAN the best tool to prep an OS for future install.. But as far as changing desktop handlers, I still can't get it right.. Seems I make too many changes, that eventually kills the OS, knocking me back to square one.. I wish I could find a list of what not to add to specific distro's.. or a series package of programs that tests to determine if an add-on is compatible with the existing setup...

In refurbishing 100's of old computers, the worst thing I found that people do to computers, is raise dust in cleaning the home while the computer is running.. The fans suck up a lot of that airborne dust, which overheats weakens and destroys computer components very fast.. Many computers were trashed just because of a loose wire connector in the tower.. Most computers trashed had their cooling systems totally plugged up with dust, or the op couldn't figure how to disable the bios PW, or didn't know that a few old bios default settings are incompatible with some newer Linux OS's...

I've been running Linux for over 15 years, you name the Distro and yes I have installed it on one of my putrs. from Noppix, to UE, including Gentoo, and Debian........To date the best I have run LinuxMint, Debian Edition 64 bit., It's Ubuntu without the stupid Unity desktop.

As for running everything..........not reccomended, for instance don't run a kde app in the gnome environment or vise versa.

And I've also ran every Windoze flavor, My Preference is Linux.

But whatever, even the worst Linux is better than the best Windoze.

Just the other day someone asked what KDE, Cinnimon, Mate etc. is, I told them it is simply a desktop environment.

Maybe this URL can explain better than I can:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/01/10...namon-or-mate/

great post, i think the advice to start with a couple of live cd's of various linux distros is the best way to go, that way u test dive without risk as u rightly pointed out. thnx again, will definetly copy this to my linux facebook group

Thumbs up Feeling Thankful

Hi blackbelt_jones, I have a problem on overwhelmed newbie. But now by your post I solved it. You have done really a good job. Thanks for the informative and helpful post.

Thanks,
    johnmickle.

Thanks very much! I have been pulling my hair out trying to find somewhere to start (I am an Idiot when it comes to Linux; But totally fed up with MS products period). I will tryout your kind suggestions. Most helpful post I have seen. Be Well

Quote Originally Posted by johnkingx View Post
    great post, i think the advice to start with a couple of live cd's of various linux distros is the best way to go, that way u test dive without risk as u rightly pointed out. thnx again, will definetly copy this to my linux facebook group
    I'm glad that I could help you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmickle View Post
    Hi blackbelt_jones, I have a problem on overwhelmed newbie. But now by your post I solved it. You have done really a good job. Thanks for the informative and helpful post.

Thanks,
    johnmickle.
    Glad that I could be of help, Happy computing.