A grub menu booting 100+ systems of Dos, Windows, Linux, BSD and Solaris - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A grub menu booting 100+ systems of Dos, Windows, Linux, BSD and Solaris

Bravo..... Well done!

You sure have a hell lot of time at your fingertips.... can I buy some?
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoKJ
    Bravo..... Well done!

You sure have a hell lot of time at your fingertips.... can I buy some?
    Well he does mention that this venture takes him approximately 18 months.

EVAC

scottmc,

Thanks for the link. Had a go but didn't work out. Most likely problem could be because I tried it in hda56 which is near the end of a 300 IDE disk. I should have known BeOS may not want to cross the 137Gb barrier in the hard disk. Will try again later.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    XiaoKj

Haven't seen you for a while. Nice to catch you again. You do know I couldn't possibly do such of systems without backing them up with the "dd" command you taught me.
    -----------------------------------------
    evac-q8r,

I just didn't see a need to throw away the installed systems. XiaoKJ and others in the forum have taught me how to move the systems from partition to partition and then from PC to PC. Thus a good number of the systems have been with me through 3 machines.

So it is more to do with accummulating junks over a period of 18 months.

Nobody seems to bother to publicise Linux is easy to boot. I was running 4 distros with a XP in my first month into Linux. Whatever system I threw at Grub the bugger just ate it for breakfast.

Writing the thread really amounts to admitting defeat as Grub wins. It can boot more systems than I could install them.

The only comfort I could draw is je_fro once said the maximum number of raw devices in Linux is 255 so may be Grub will meet its challenge one day.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

You should build an installer

You should build an installer for your creation, so that people could choose what they wanted, and install to their hearts content. I know i'd use it.

Nice work.

Thumbs up

There is a really good complementary HowTo detailing installing multiple OS's with grub with just the OS ISO! It explains how to install to your harddrive from your harddrive, uses loop devices, and some interesting uses of grub.

Thanks for posting this ingenius article! Helped alot!
    Last edited by apachedude; 07-05-2007 at 07:31 PM.

----An update 4 Jul 2007 ----

Warning

kernel 2.6.20 and later has incorporated the Pata disk names into the SCSI/Sata/USB disk family and so in future Pata disks will all be called sda, sdb, sdc... etc. This makes a Pata disk incapable of having more than 15 partitions. A Pata disk with more than 15 partitions would be ignored by Linux and treated as a raw disk. Some new kernels still support Pata names but the trend is to go with SCSI/Sata/USB convention.

The implication is unless you use a set of old distros you may not be able to repeat what I have done in this thread.

However I have been working on a method to get 44 partitions out of a SCSI/Sata/Pata/USB disk and have reported it in this thread

The 44-partition thread also shows how to "nest" a group of Grub menus together. Thus all Dos, WIndows, Linux, BSD and Solaris can be installed and booted in one box. If there is any conflict just use the Grub menus to hide the partitions causing problems before booting up the chosen distro.

Last edited by saikee; 07-21-2007 at 06:20 PM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"