installing opera

Thread: installing opera

installing opera

Just downloaded Opera tarball, extracted it in root into the Desktop folder, then ran ./install.sh got some options, put in yes for both and thats it. Went to the shared folder and tried to run Opera, but no luck. Am I missing something? I am running FC4 with latest Gnome.
    <<Put your signature here>>

As a sidenote, can any of you seasoned linux OS users recommend any handy programs? Or any cool games specifically for Linux? I do run a rather outdated system which is 733mhz processor with 300ram, 30gig HD, but it should still pull ok.

Thanks for any suggestions.

What options? How did you try to run Opera after that? What errors did you get? I could go on and on, but that's enough for now...
    Handy programs? gimp gaim aterm firefox nautilus openoffice2 grip beep-media-player lyx jabref gnumeric mplayer dvdstyler ogle dia opendx xv gftp thunderbird mutt giFT xchat bluefish Jedit xfe Doom3 Quake4 TuxRacer AmericasArmy Scorched3d EnemyTerrirory...
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Thanks a lot for that insight Fro. Some of the progs you list come with gnome already. I'll take a look at those others you mentioned.

I was not aware, however, that Doom or Quake run on Linux? Do you need a program that simulates Windows to run them?

For Opera issue, I said just what happened. I didn't get any "errors" per se. As I said, it came with the install.sh and opera.sh files, so, I tried running them but literally, nothing happened, so, I tried to ./configure it, still nothing, as it said that there was no "source" file. I'll try to run ./opera and see what happens. If I get any errors, I'll post here.

Code:
    ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ./bin/opera: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Here's what it throws for the errors. Perhaps I need to install the libst libraries first.

Quote Originally Posted by temak82
    I was not aware, however, that Doom or Quake run on Linux? Do you need a program that simulates Windows to run them?
    No - there are native Linux binaries provided by id software. You will require a copy of the game in order to get the appropriate PK3 files in order to play the game, but it all runs natively (and it's great )
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

Sounds great. Too bad my computer won't pull it. But ok.

Thanks again.

Have you tried the static build of Opera?
    We'll get thisright yet!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by temak82
    Code:
    ./bin/opera: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Here's what it throws for the errors. Perhaps I need to install the libst libraries first.
    About libjvm.so and libawt.so: those seem to be java SDK related.
    So if (like me) you do not have SDK packages installed, you can ignore those errors or edit opera binary as following :
    Code:
    ## Uncomment the next lines to workaround the "libjvm.so & libawt.so preloaded" error message
    #LD_PRELOAD="libjvm.so:libawt.so:${OPERA_LD_PRELOAD}"
    #export LD_PRELOAD
    /me chose 2nd solution
    Internet was created to share knowledge !
    Linux related howtos in French http://guides-info.org/linux/