xorg - recompile to rotate

Thread: xorg - recompile to rotate

xorg - recompile to rotate

Hi, I'm using a linux distribution (backtrack) on my laptop. I've figured out how to increase my resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 by looking at the logs and editing xorg.conf . Now I want to enable monitor rotation. The driver does support it (Intel 855GM chipset - http://www.intel.com/support/graphic...hics+852main&). My question - is there an easy way to do this or do I have to recompile my X environment. If I have to recompile, I need some help. A 'make World' on Intel's drivers errors like the following (tail output after many seemingly successful lines in the log)

make[3]: Entering directory `/root/xc/include/GL'
    make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/X11R6/SourceForge/Mesa6.2/Mesa/include/GL/gl.h', needed by `gl.h'. Stop.
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/xc/include/GL'
    make[2]: *** [includes] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/xc/include'
    make[1]: *** [includes] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/xc'
    make: *** [World] Error 2

Thanks,
    Neville

I don't believe you should have to recompile X, you just need something like xrandr or krandrtray. However, on all three of the systems I've checked, xrandr and krandrtray can't rotate the screen (apparently it's not compatible with many drivers). On the nVidia system using the open source nv driver it seems there is an xorg.conf option for rotating the screen, and presumably there is the same in your Intel drivers although I can't say for sure.

Thanks for the reply. No luck on xrandx or krandrtray application. They can't rotate for me. So I am going to try and find the magic keyword in xorg.conf right now I am unsing the generic i810 driver that comes bundeled with knoppix, and I'm not guessing I'm going to find a rotate keyword for that driver, so I am trying to compile the open source intel GM855 driver (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...9&submit=Go%21) and then find an xorg.conf keyword for that one. Problem: I shut down X and during the compile of the intel driver for agpgart and DRM the script tells me it cant complie either and the dri.log looks like the following:

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.12.2/build SUBDIRS=/root/dripkg/agpgart-2.0 modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.12.2'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.12.2/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M] /root/dripkg/agpgart-2.0/backend.o
    /root/dripkg/agpgart-2.0/backend.c:69: error: conflicting types for `agp_backend_acquire'
    include/linux/agp_backend.h:105: error: previous declaration of `agp_backend_acquire'
    /root/dripkg/agpgart-2.0/backend.c:89: error: conflicting types for `agp_backend_release'

that is the head of the log file, it obviously can not find something it needs, but I have not idea what to make of Module.symvers or where to go.

Any help I would be appreciative of

Thanks,
    Neville

Hey, what's the magic keyword in your xorg.conf file for a nv driver? Maybe I'll get luck and it is the same keyword for intel and supported in the existing i810 driver??

Thanks,
    Neville

OK - never mind comment #4. The keywork is Option "Rotate" "CW", but the i810 dirver does not support it..

Xorg.0.log output:
    (WW) I810(0): Option "Rotate" is not used
    (==) RandR enabled

So, back to #3 - How do I compile this Intel driver???

Thanks,
    Neville

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Intel's graphics drivers, other than the fact that everytime I try to boot Knoppix on a machine using them I get stuck in 640x480. The best advice I can give you is to search Google a bit and see if someone else had that error.

So I did recomplie and it does work now. The only trick in complining was that it wanted to reference some directories that came in the distribution but were mis-identified (wrong path) in the install script. Put in symbolic links to those directories and it recomipled.