[SOLVED] fstab and windows

Thread: [SOLVED] fstab and windows

[SOLVED] fstab and windows

This is the windows details for /etc/fstab.

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win1 ntfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/win2 ntfs defaults 0 0

This is the C and D drive on WindowsXP.

The first entry mounts but only root can access it, I need all users to be able to access it. Second entry doesn't mount at all. I remember seeing an error before about hda2 saying something about not being a primary partition but I can't find that error now. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Also, im using the 2.6 kernel. Since when did the ntfs module become part of the main kernel. I remember a couple of years ago with FC3 (I think); I had to manually install the ntfs module.

Add the "users" optionafter "defaults", separated by a comma.

Search Google on how to mount or add to fstab NTFS partitions...
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Thats working for the first partition but the second one doesn't work. This is the error im getting

Could not mount device.

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
    on /dev/hda2

missing codepage or other error
    (aren't you trying to mount an extended partition, instead of some logical partition inside?)

Try hda5 instead of hda2.

There are only four top-level containers ("primary partitions") in a PC-BIOS-format partition table, which is what almost everyone uses. Linux assigns these to hda1, 2, 3, and 4. But early on, people realized that more than four partitions per disk would be needed, so they invented a new partition type ("extended"). An extended partition can hold an arbitrary number of other partitions (basically, they're laid out on disk in a linked list). Partitions that are contained in an extended partition are called "logical".

All the Windows installers that I've ever used will only create a single "primary" partition. The setup forces you to make everything else (including your D drive) logical partitions inside an extended partition.

Linux uses hda5 through hda63 for these logical partitions, in that order (hda5 first).

Worked a dream bwkaz, thanks. And insightful too.

Cheers.