SUSE - how can i turn off the firewall on boot?

Thread: SUSE - how can i turn off the firewall on boot?

Hybrid View

SUSE - how can i turn off the firewall on boot?

I am trying to figure out how to turn off the SUSEfirewall when I reboot my server. I have no GUI on this install, only command line. Can someone tell me how to do this? thanks
    Breath Deep and Smile!

Despite your lack of GUI, you can still use Yast to set the firewall so it has to be started manually. Just type (as root) "yast" at a command prompt and it will give you a menu of things you can do. You're looking for Firewall which is under the Security and Users section. It should be the first option you see.

Note: This is where everything is on my 10.0 install, it's possible that if you're using a different version things will be named slighly different. You get the gist of it though.

The firewall is being handled the way you described it ever since I started out with SuSE 8.2

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

I thought you can use chkconfig --list and then select the one you want change it to off? You can select run levels as well.

chkconfig name_of_service off (or on)
    Last edited by fishface; 07-04-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Looks like that would probably work as well, although I had never heard of it. Learn something new every day.