Linux and IBM NetVista Computers - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linux and IBM NetVista Computers

Post Re: Linux and IBM NetVista Computers

Hello, 'cybertron'!
    Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    The only suggestion I can give you off hand with regards to the Windows machines not able to connect is to run "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" in what passes for a console in Windows (just run "cmd" if you can't find it in the Start menu). That will force them to go looking for addresses again from the router. If that doesn't work and the Linux and Macs still do...beats me.
    Thank you for the suggestions.

I have run 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' so many times that I type them in my sleep.

The renew command leaves the Windows XP boxes with totally blank information when I then run 'ipconfig'. This experience would point to the router/switch as the culprit, which is why I purchased the new D-Link router, although I feel as if I took a huge gamble on a budget router.

I just think that it's odd that the router has never gone down when I have been running Linux or Mac OS X, but no Windows machines were active on the network. It's as if the Windows incarnation of the TCP/IP protocols is somehow corrupting the router -- which I realize is utter nonsense. The router also does not fail if I run a live Linux distribution on a Windows XP computer!

(I am definitely going to look for patterns if the D-Link router starts to fail, after all of the Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows computers are connected to it.)

Thank you again for taking the time to write, 'cybertron'. I have been swamped lately helping my uncle, who has cancer, with various things, but I should have a free day tomorrow (Sunday, 6 August), so I plan to set up the new D-Link router then. I will add the Netgear switch when I have configured the NetVista as a Linux database server and upgraded SuSE Linux on my, now, Linux-only computer.

Cordially,

David
    Linux Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux (Desktop & Server)

Registered Linux User # 315892
    <http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must
    invent reason; we must create
    beauty out of nothingness."
    -- Elie Wiesel

Gary Arthur Weaver: 18 July 1942 - 29 December 2006

NetVista machines

My son-in-law and I bought 7 NetVista machines, 2.2 GHz for $75 each plus shipping. If you run XP on them, you will need the Lenova drivers for at least XP Pro. These machines had no OS on them. There is an audio driver, a video driver for the board, and all 7 machines came with two NICs. We had to disable and unintall the drivers and then get XP to recognize the cards. Machines are working fine. We will put Linux on two of them, and run XP on all the rest. Went to a recent auction and got 22 switchers, 28 flat screen monitors, of which 27 were fully functional, 4 nice portable workstation setups, a Dell server, a large optical jukebox setup, several computers and lots of other computer equipment, about 5 pallets or so. ($900 bid won it). Will check on Linux installations shortly.