How to create entries for hard disk partitions in /dev?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create entries for hard disk partitions in /dev?

Hybrid View

"Solved" How to create entries for hard disk partitions in /dev?

I have a terrible job with making old distros to boot because their /dev doesn't list all high-number partitions I created.

Typically they stop at hda24 but I want to use the maximum hda63 permitted by Linux.

I can boot these distros, installed aat or moved to partitions higher than 24 by Grub but I would like to learn ways to persuade Lilo too.

At the moment Lilo reports
    Code:
    root@1[root]# lilo -b /dev/hda61
    Ignoring entry 'boot'
    Fatal: open /dev/hda61: No such file or directory
    It is a bit of a laugh as I boot it by Grub and using this distro to post.

The distro I am working on is Slynux 2.0, with 2.4.27 Kernel and a Lilo 22.2 but I got others in the same situation.

There doesn't seem a lot of information on /dev and how to create additional entries. May be I am looking at the wrong spot.
    Last edited by saikee; 12-30-2006 at 09:32 PM. Reason: To mark thread "solved"
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Look into mknod, that's used to "make block or character special files"
    I haven't used it myself in years, especially since udev has taken a lot of that hassle over. You'll have to make udev rules also so they don't 'go away' after you reboot.

Hope that's a good start for ya...

Icarus,

Thanks for the pointer. Other references aalso mention mknod too but I am nervrous as I lack the background knowledge of how Linux controsl the devices.

Nevertheless I can report that I am booting the same Linux by "LIlo" first time. That means I have found a temporary solution.

I came across the command mount --bind and tried it out as follow.

(1) Boot to another Linux A that has /dev that has a device name for the Linux B I want to boot (which is hda61). In other word /dev of Linux A has maximum hda63 but Linux B stops at hda24. I do have partitions up hda63 detected fully by Linux A.

(2) I then in Linux A do
    Code:
    mount --bind /dev  /mnt/hda61/dev
    which I believe the full list of /dev of Linux A is now available to Linux B

(3) I then change root to Linux B and restore Lilo
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/hda61
    lilo -b /dev/hda61
    exit
    The scheme seems to work satisfactorily. No alteration is done in the /dev of Linux B. Lilo still can't be restored once the Linux B is booted up with the same error as reported in Post #1 before. However as LIlo fails and so it keeps the last working version and so I can continue to boot B.

Although this is not a permanent solution still I am glad that I can understand the root cause ( I think) and have a cure for it, at least temporarily.
    Last edited by saikee; 12-30-2006 at 06:13 AM.

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

I dont have that many distro on my computer (usuallly 3 or 4) but using lilo to boot all my distro once i add a new one, i create a mount point in my (main distro A) in /mnt/newdistro_name/ and then i mount the new distro B (dev#) and i edit lilo.conf with 2 line for the new distro B init and image showing the mount point like this /mnt/newdistro-name/dev#/boot/Image and the same for init. then i run lilo. Its always available like this as a boot option in the future. But this solution would be a pain with the amount of distro you have to boot because you have to mount all of them every time you want to make a change to lilo. Unless you edit fstab to automount (all of your distros)every time you boot your main working distro. By the way you should contact the guiness record society for the guy with the most distro on 1 computer.

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"

Davno,

I think I beginning to understand your proposal.

My interpretation of it is you work inside Linux A and use its Lilo to compile the booting requirement for Linux B. This is achieved by mounting the kernel image on the /mnt subdirectory of Linux B.

This should overcome my problem but I still don't know how the connection is made by Lilo. Can you post a typical lilo.conf for compiling Lilo for Linux B while inside Linux A?

I am on my last leg of the journey to fill up the 152 partitions in the four hard disks with over 140 systems. It has been a great way of learning Linux. I plan to write a howto to show how easy it can be done. The trouble is many will laugh their heads off when they see how simple it is.

If you have access to a /dev tree that has the correct device file in it, then you can simply:

Code:
    cp -a /wherever/dev/hda59 /dev/hda59
    or whatever you need. (Without bind-mounting, that is.) The -a option tells cp to preserve pretty much everything (owner, group, permissions), and to act appropriately when you give it a device file (without -a, cp would try to copy the entire partition's contents, instead of just the device file), or a symlink, or a named pipe, or a named socket. (It also makes cp act recursively, so you have to be careful when using it on a directory; don't just use -a all the time.)

Or, you could do this:

Code:
    ls -l /wherever/dev/hda59
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 59 Dec 29 19:59 /dev/hda5
    and note the parts in bold (the "b" at the beginning, telling you it's a block device, and the "3, 59" in the middle telling you it's major 3, minor 59). Then use mknod:

Code:
    mknod /dev/hda59 b 3 59
    chown root:disk /dev/hda59
    chmod 0660 /dev/hda59
    (The last two can probably be rolled into options given to mknod, but oh well, this works too.) The important part is the "b 3 59" -- these come directly from the output of ls -l.

And as Icarus said, it's easier when using udev -- the partitions that exist just show up, automatically. But if your distro is still running kernel 2.4, that's not really an option.
    Last edited by bwkaz; 12-30-2006 at 02:07 PM.

I used to do something like this in the past. I made a script that made the devices for me when I installed a distro. I think my script was something like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

for more_devices in 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63; do
          mknod -m 660 /dev/hda$more_devices b 3 $more_devices ; chgrp disk /dev/hda$more_devices
    done
    Patrick Verner
    www.partedmagic.com

Thanks everybody for suggestions(Davno), directions(Icarus), explanation(bwkaz) and the exact script from Exodus2001

All excellent stuff! Exactly the ticket as shown below
    Code:
    bash-3.00# chmod 755 morehda
    bash-3.00# lilo -b /dev/hda51
    Ignoring entry 'boot'
    /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.01.01 (2005-03-29)(compat) and kernel driver
    Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda51")
    bash-3.00# bash morehda
    bash-3.00# lilo -b /dev/hda51
    Ignoring entry 'boot'
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.01.01 (2005-03-29)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
        Name change: '/dev/hda21' -> '/tmp/dev.0'
    Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (3, 21) is missing.
    Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (3, 22) is missing.
    Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (3, 23) is missing.
    Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (3, 24) is missing.
    Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (22, 21) is missing.
    Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (22, 22) is missing.
    Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (22, 23) is missing.
    Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (22, 24) is missing.
    Added scilinux *
    Added single-user
    bash-3.00#
    I cut and paste Exodus2001 script as "morehda" without any alteration. The above show Lilo didn't compile before the issue of "morehda" and it did after.
    Last edited by saikee; 12-30-2006 at 09:27 PM.

You're going to want to add 21, 22, 23, and 24 to the list of devices that Exodus2001's script creates. Then run it again. (It doesn't matter where you add them; just put them somewhere in the list of numbers in the for statement. Each item that the for loops through is space-separated.)

As it is, you're missing 4 partitions from each disk.

bwkaz,

Thanks for the reminder. I checked and my /dev list. It stopped at hda24 and so Exodus2001's script is spot on. Some distros stop at hda19 or hda20 while others are willing to go up to hda32.

In one of the distros I tried your method but didn't go through your warning in post #6 first but attempted to "drag N drop" the higher hda device names between the mounted partitions in the desktop. I got myself into trouble exactly as you predicted.

In a panic I deleted all the hdaX device after I discovered by the normal copying the fully partition was copied and not just the device name The deletion included "hda" which is the one for the whole disk. Exodus2001 script works between hda1 and hda63 so I had to follow your method of using the -a parameter to copy hda back.

I managed to kick start 3 Distros' Lilo with your and Exodus2001 suggestions.
    Last edited by saikee; 12-31-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee
    Thanks for the reminder. I checked and my /dev list. It stopped at hda24 and so Exodus2001's script is spot on. Some distros stop at hda19 or hda20 while others are willing to go up to hda32.
    That's a little strange, because lilo is complaining that you don't have (3, 21), (3, 22), (3, 23), and (3, 24). (This is e.g. block-major-3-minor-21, which is hda21. It also complains about the same minors on block major 22, which is hdc/hdd.) Perhaps lilo is wrong, but it might not be a bad idea to double check the major/minor numbers on hda2[1-4].

OTOH, you did get a message in there about "name change: /dev/hda21 -> /tmp/dev.0", so I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps it has something to do with the issue too.

The deletion included "hda" which is the one for the whole disk. Exodus2001 script works between hda1 and hda63 so I had to follow your method of using the -a parameter to copy hda back.
    Well, you could manually mknod hda as well -- its parameters will be "b 3 0" (block, major 3, minor 0). But this works too.

bwkaz,

Sorry I was confusing you. You are right in your interpretation of the error message, as I know you can understand every "." and "-".

I cured the first Linux Slynux (from India) that has hda goes up to hda24 and moved to the the second Linux SciLinux (From USA) which has dev limit stops at hda20.

It was my mistake that I didn't make it clear to everybody.

I now feel more comfortable about the dev names. It has been a great help because for months I couldn't figure out why a Linux can be moved and operate at a high partition, say hda61, but when I restore its boot loader Lilo throw at my face with the message "Fatal :Open /dev/hda61 : no such file or directory". This make me feel guilty of booting up the Linux manually by Grub, thinking that I might have committed a crime in Linux for doing something that I am not supposed to.

I cuased the confusion because after satisfying with the cure suggested by Exodus2001 on Slynus Linux I attempt your method with SciLinux and forgot to report their /dev lists are different.
    Last edited by saikee; 01-01-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee
    I cured the first Linux Slynux (from India) that has hda goes up to hda24 and moved to the the second Linux SciLinux (From USA) which has dev limit stops at hda20.
    Ah, I get it. Thanks!

but when I restore its boot loader Lilo throw at my face with the message "Fatal :Open /dev/hda61 : no such file or directory".
    Yeah, that's only because the file doesn't exist on that distro. Lilo doesn't care about the device files themselves after it's been run, and grub doesn't really care at all (except when you're running the grub-install script). Lilo uses hardcoded calls into some kind of disk access thingy (the BIOS perhaps?) that takes numbers for each disk, and doesn't care about the partition structure (it just passes a sector offset from the disk's start that it figured out when you initially ran it). Grub has its own partition numbering scheme, (hd0,0) and friends, but it basically uses that to come up with the same sector number that lilo uses. (Of course grub does it at runtime, which is part of the reason you don't have to reinstall grub every time you change your config file.)

I was just curious, what do you have on those partitions? 60 distros?

Sepero,

From this thread

The distro in each partition is shown by menu.lst in Post #2.
    For example SciLinux is in hda51, Slynux in hda61.

The size of each partition is shown in the "fdisk -l" listing.

I have one fully operaing system in each partition. The thread shows a simple way to do it. It is almost like proposing to build 145 apartments and have a door bell system (boot loader) wired up before the tennants (distros) are filled.

Before I install a system pressing the bell gives no answer but after installation the call will be answered.
    Last edited by saikee; 01-02-2007 at 04:34 AM.