How to install and boot 145 operating systems in a PC - Page 6

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install and boot 145 operating systems in a PC

Quote Originally Posted by saikee
    yes I was referring to EFI. I read some articles relating to EFI or similar schemes as basic building blocks for bringing about the trusted computing.
    Possibly. I haven't read those articles (and I don't have a great understanding of what all is included with EFI), so I don't know if that's true or not -- but it is possible.

The EFI is only being sold by Itel and there seem to be a couple of M$ systems implementing it either partially or as an alternative.
    And Apple: most of the new Macs already use it.

I have also read that Vista user can select it as an alternative to the legacy partition table currently used in PC Bios.
    Well, it's more than just the partition table. It's the whole interface to the BIOS (EFI itself is "extensible firmware interface", i.e. an interface to the machine's firmware, i.e. what the BIOS used to do). That's why it requires bootloader support before it'll actually do any good.

You introduced me about the major and minor numbers of partitions used in Linux. The EFI is not going to be of any real use unless the major/minor numbering system got overhauled in Linux or Unix-like systems.
    Which had actually started when I started talking about it - the dev_t type in the kernel has been 32 bits wide for a long time. It used to be only 16 bits wide (8 for the major, 8 for the minor), and splitting various major numbers up between disk drives is what gave the partition count limits. But when it moved to 32 bits wide, lots more majors and minors became available.

(Of course I'm not sure how many glibc's are compiled to have a 32-bit dev_t in their headers, so I don't know how many userspace programs will work with that yet...)

Between that, udev, and dynamic device number allocation in the kernel -- which I believe all block-devices have support for now -- a new partition table would at least be possible. Although depending on how compatible the developers make it, it may keep the SCSI-15-partition limit, I'm not sure. (There are lots of partition table schemes already supported in the kernel: take a look at all the CONFIG_*_PARTITION options. I believe most of those use the same partition split as the normal PC BIOS tables use. And actually, there is a CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION, so I bet the EFI-format partition table will already work. )

Thumbs down What's in hda1 and hda2?

saikee,

first of all, great work and many thx for posting such a detailed how-to guide!

Just out of interest, I am curious why you chose hda3 for the grub installation. Why not hda1 or hda2? What's in hda1 and hda2? Are they required for something else (Maybe the MS Windows OS???)?

I am interested in setting up a triple boot system with XP, Vista and Ubuntu on my laptop which only has one hard disk, so hence I am trying to gather as much information as possible before plunging into it (although I am sure I will invariably make some mistake and have to do it all again which is fine as one learns from one's mistakes...).

Thx!

Ah, I guess I should have looked a little bit more closely at the menu.lst example you give on the first page of this thread to see that hda1 is for DOS 6.22 and hda2 is for Win 3.11.

Silly ol' me!

rolaustral,

There are many ways to triple a Linux, Xp, and Vista because each system can boot the other two.

In the Newbies secrion I have added the Grub's method for booting two Windows. Can you do a search on triple boot there? I am currently working in Prague and had to use a key board to access Internet via a TV in a hotel room and so not easy for me to post the link.

The method of using XP's NTLDR to multi boot is given in the last link of my signature. In there I have also added the steps of using Vista to multi boot. There is a seprate thread on showing how to use Vista to boot 150 Linux too.

You will find sky is the limit as far as booting is concerned in Justlinux!

As expected you will find Grub is the easiest, most powerful and flexible to work with.
    Last edited by saikee; 02-28-2008 at 06:08 PM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Hi saikee,

thanks for that. I have used Grub in the past before several times and have successfully used it now again. Definitely the boot loader of choice for me! Easy to set up and works like a charm.

Thanks again.

In case you do not know why I put Grub in hda3 it was to pull off a stunt!

hda3 is a data-only partition without an operating system inside.

By using a data-only partition I could demonstrate every one of the 145 operating systems could be booted by chainloading.

Had I used Grub from a Linux that Linux must be booted directly with a "kernel" and possibly with an "initrd" statement too. Therefore I cannot used the indirect method of chainloader +1 on it.

The way I did it was using "chainloader +1" for every syetem without exception. It is unconventional but it shows once Grub is understood then we can play tunes with it.

It is also a good way to bring a festure of Grub that not many Linux users are aware of.

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

I cant boot m$ after installing ubuntu 64bit, problem=no such partition

Code:
    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda2   *           1       16708   134206978+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5            1020       16708   126021861    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda6               1        1019     8185023   83  Linux
    title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Tomislav,

Welcome to Justlinux!

You should find your MS system will boot if you change the root partition reference from (hd0,0) to (hd0,1) as your sda2 is marked active and would have a boot loader inside to fire up the XP in sda5.

Code:
    title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root (hd0,1)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Thank you... I'm planning on dumping LILO for GRUB

I was "Googling" for clues on how to setup LILO for a triple boot system when I came across your thread.

I've never understood the difference between LILO and GRUB and wondered why the World needed more than one boot loader.

After reading <a href="http://home.att.net/~lilo-boot/lilohome.htm">this site</a> thoroughly, I believe I'm starting to "get it". It seems that LILO needs to read a file or two from the Linux partition from which it was written in order to boot even Windows.

IOWs: If the Linux partition where the LILO "map" and/or "boot.b" files exist gets corrupted, you'll be shut out of your other OS installations as well. Unacceptable! (I can't find "boot.b" on my Slack-like installation, though... not in the "locate" database and not under /boot either.)

So I'm trying to convert to GRUB.

I've attempted to make my "Slack" chainloadable... but I must be missing a concept or two here.

I've left LILO on the MBR for the moment and pointed it at my "chainloadable" Slack. All I get is the GRUB prompt. I can then enter the kernel file by hand and "boot"... but the boot then fails... something about how "this should never happen."

I'll keep trying and I'll re-read your instructions as well.

Thank you for such a comprehensive treatment of the GRUB here. I registered on this forum because of your thread.

Cheers!
    -Ed
    "Well what kind of tent do ya want?" "Kind with most poles."

Sregrepsa,

Welcome to Justlinux!

Since Slackware is not shipped with Grub my prediction is if you have built Grub into it then its configuration file /boot/grub will not be available.

The menu.lst is normally arranged by the installer, same function as the liloconf program inside Slackware that builds the /etc/lilo.conf for you. As Slackware has not anticipated Grub you will have to write your own menu.lst.

Luckily this is the simplest for Slackware because it has no initrd (shipped distro version) and the kernel is symbolic-linked to vmlinuz. Therefore if you get a Grub prompt you can manaully boot up Slackware, say it is in hda4 or (hd0,3) to Grub, by commands
    Code:
    root (hd0,3) 
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda4
    boot
    Your /boot/grub/menu.lst can be simply
    Code:
    title Slackware in partition hda4 known to Grub as (hd0,3) 
    root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda4
    The "boot" statement is mandatory in manual booting but optional in menu.lst. It acts as the green light to tell Grub to fire up the system. The title line is a display message that can be omitted in manual booting.

If the above menu.lst works and you have another Grub in the MBR then your Slackware in , say in (hd0,3), can be made chainloadable by commands in either a Grub prompt or a Grub shell
    Code:
    root (hd0,3)
    setup (hd0,3)
    Thereafter you can fire up Slackware manually by command
    Code:
    root (hd0,3)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    or inside a menu.lst with lines
    Code:
    title Slackware in (hd0,3) booted indirectly
    root (hd0,3)
    chainloader +1
    Lastly in chainloading you boot one boot loader with another. It only works if you have two Linux at least. The one in the MBR is always booted directly by using the kernel statement. You will understand it if you think about it. If not I can explain it if you want.

Also Lilo can multi-boot same as Grub and 3 systems are no problem at all by chainloading. Its equivalent command is "other=" . Thus if you are using Lilo to boot the Slackware above the commands are just
    Code:
    other=/dev/hda4
    label=Slackware
    It will fire up after you has done the "root" and "setup" statements. I am assuming Slackware is boot by Grub and you have another Linux with Lilo sitting at the MBR here.

Happy booting.
    Last edited by saikee; 05-09-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Aha!

I feel silly. I left the 'root' statement out when I tried to manually boot from the Grub prompt.

I'll give it another go. But I really like the approach of having Grub in it's own partition. Can't wait to try that!

Again; this is a very inspiring thread. Thank you so much for taking the time to patiently address my question.
    -Ed

EDIT 10 May '08: WOOT! Successfuly installed GRUB on the Slackware partition and got it to boot from LILO in the MBR. So it starts with the LILO screen... I choose Slackware... I get the GRUB screen (from the Slackware partition)... then choose Slackware. Now to eliminate LILO completely! Note: It's kind of funny right now; with the LILO map file sitting in the same folder with the GRUB menu.lst file.
    Last edited by Sregrepsa; 05-10-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    "Well what kind of tent do ya want?" "Kind with most poles."

Hi Saikee!

First of all congratulations for the achievement of installing/booting more then 100 OSs in one PC and for sharing this with us.

I am trying to configure a multi-boot system following your instructions from <http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=147959> but I am getting an error message when running:
    root (hd0,0)

See the error message below:
    grub> root (hd0,0)

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

grub> root (sd0,0)

Error 23: Error while parsing number

grub> root (sda0,0)

I thought it could be just the nomenclature of my disk, but no option I tried resulted in anything good.

My system should boot Ubuntu 7.10 in sda6, Ubuntu 8.04 in sda7 and XP in sda2
    All the systems are already installed in their respective partitions, but I just cannot make the first partition root in order to select the system to boot.
    I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 last and this is the system that boots by default. As Ubuntu 7.10 was already installed the grub from 8.04 presents 7.10 as the second option in the boot menu

My disk:
    Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000001

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 130 1044193+ 16 Hidden FAT16
    /dev/sda2 131 3705 28716187+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda4 3706 60801 458623620 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 3706 3835 1044193+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6 3836 6515 21527068+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda7 6516 9195 21527068+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda8 9196 22456 106518951 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda9 22457 35717 106518951 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/sda10 35718 60801 201487198+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

What should I do in order to make my first partition root?

Thank you,

Lejepra

When you in a Grub shell, from either booting from a Live CD or any boot-up Linux, restore Grub again.

Say the partition that you host Grub in the MBR is /dev/sda6 known to Grub as (hd0,5) these two line will restore Grub
    Code:
    root (hd0,5)
    setup (hd0)
    I did notice Grub may need to be restored if the installer hasn't done the job properly.

I put down on the installation of Grub wasn't cleanly done. It does happen.

It is also possibly that the installation was perfect but a small corruption of the partition data occured. Boot loaders are sensitive to such small corruptions.

root (hd0,0) is not working

Thank you for the reply!

My problem is exactly getting the command root (hd0,0) to work.
    My first partition (sda1) is the one where I am trying to install Grub.

Every time I run this command I get the error message:
    grub> root (hd0,0)

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

I am using a SATA HD and I thought maybe it should not be hd0,0 but sd0,0 then I tried the following, but just got more error messages:
    grub> root (sd0,0)

grub> root (sda0,0)

Any more tips?

Thank you,

Lejepra

Actually it is quite easy to sort out your situation. You do this by asking what Grub sees. Grub always names the hard disks as (hd0), (hd1), (hd2)....etc. (sd0) is never used!

In a text boot screen before you select a system to boot you can always press the "c" key to get a Grub prompt. In a Grub prompt you can ask Grub what are the partition layouts, of say the first two disks, by command
    Code:
    geometry (hd0)
    geometry (hd1)
    Grub must has a disk in order to load itself.

I notice you start off with sda1 or (hd0,0) as a hidden Fat16 partition. This might prevent Grub from reading its content and gain access to its menu.lst. If you have installed Grub in (hd0,0) you will need Grub to unhide it first so that you have Grub in a working order first. You only need to hide (hd0,0) if you boot a MS Windows installed alone at a later partition so that the "c" drive is not given to (hd0,0).

Can you add this line at the beginning of you menu.lst
    Code:
    unhide (hd0,0)
    and confirm if the same error persist?