howto upgrade kernel in Debian


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: howto upgrade kernel in Debian

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sacramento CA - USA
    Posts
    148

    howto upgrade kernel in Debian

    yes again.

    ok so i finally killed xp off of my old laptop and installed debian on it as the only os.
    laptop = 1.1p3/40gig/32gefor2mx/15video/512ram/DEAD-CDROM-DRIVE

    so i did a floppy install and loaded stuff on through the nic/internet

    it installed the 2.4.x.x kernel by default.

    yes its very ugly and i want to see my screen in nice pretty colors and its only in 800x600. = yuck!

    so i went to tldp.org and started looking at how to install a newer kernel and cant seem to figure it out.

    i thought i read somewhere that you could down load the kernel and just have it run. i downloaded 2.6.8.6 and have it in my /home/dave folder.

    ive printed out instructions on how to update the kernel but none of them speak english. they are all in geekoneeze which im not fluent in.

    can anyone walk me though installing a new kernel so i can run my wifi card easily on it and setting up a decent screen resolution.

    i had the laptop with ubuntu 6.06 and xp duel booting but couldnt get my friggin wg511 nic to work on it. ndis sucked and so did the local linux group in davis that i visited trying to get help from. i have been to them 3 times in the past 2 years and each time i ended up leaving with more damage to the os than when i arrived. i blew it out and just did a fresh debian install after it they messed with it and made it worse.

    I NEED BABY STEPS IF IM EVER GOING TO GET IT FIGURED OUT

    can someone help me please???
    GNUoob.com Name says it all

    eek....I am a geek.....(attemptive)Linux user #328439

    My Puter: Hamster Processor/some rams/and 22 floppies in raid.

    My Folding@Home Stats

    THANK YOU JustLinux.com crew

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    boston, mass USA
    Posts
    1,880
    apt-get install linux-image-2.6-18-3-686

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    517
    Which debian did you install, stable, testing, or unstable (sarge, etch, or sid)?

    It looks like it should be pretty simple via apt-get. I would guess you could also search for and install the 2.6 kernel image via synaptic:

    http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/suriy...migration.html

    Even though etch is set to replace sarge in the very near future, everything I have read advises not to use the sarge -> etch transition as the means of upgrading the kernel, but that it should be approached separately.

    Here is a write-up of how to handle the sarge -> etch upgrade:

    http://www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/103/1/

    Perhaps you could just upgrade the kernel and hope that it handles the hardware better than 2.4, before you go worrying about modules. I haven't investigated the 2.6 kernel as regards your particular hardware, but it's worth a shot.

    Hope this helps.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    2,658
    Please use more descriptive thread titles in the future or we will start locking your threads.

    "What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

    Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sacramento CA - USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    Please use more descriptive thread titles in the future or we will start locking your threads.
    ???

    there was nothing wrong with my title mr happy edit




    anyway im stuck at part 3 of this

    http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/debian.html

    im not sure where to get the config or what commands to type.




    debian:/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-mh9# cp /root/config-2.4.20 .config
    debian:/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-mh9# make oldconfig
    rm -f include/asm
    ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
    /bin/sh scripts/Configure -d arch/i386/config.in
    #
    # Using defaults found in .config
    #
    .
    .
    .

    *** End of Linux kernel configuration.
    *** Check the top-level Makefile for additional configuration.
    *** Next, you must run "make dep".

    debian:/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-mh9# make-kpkg kernel-image
    .
    .
    .

    debian:/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-mh9#








    so where is the config and how do i modify from /usr/src/linux-2.6[folder]..
    Last edited by gnuoob; 01-27-2007 at 03:25 AM.
    GNUoob.com Name says it all

    eek....I am a geek.....(attemptive)Linux user #328439

    My Puter: Hamster Processor/some rams/and 22 floppies in raid.

    My Folding@Home Stats

    THANK YOU JustLinux.com crew

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sacramento CA - USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    apt-get install linux-image-2.6-18-3-686
    i tried


    error...
    e
    E: couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.18.6-686
    GNUoob.com Name says it all

    eek....I am a geek.....(attemptive)Linux user #328439

    My Puter: Hamster Processor/some rams/and 22 floppies in raid.

    My Folding@Home Stats

    THANK YOU JustLinux.com crew

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sacramento CA - USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by ehawk
    Which debian did you install, stable, testing, or unstable (sarge, etch, or sid)?

    It looks like it should be pretty simple via apt-get. I would guess you could also search for and install the 2.6 kernel image via synaptic:

    http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/suriy...migration.html

    Even though etch is set to replace sarge in the very near future, everything I have read advises not to use the sarge -> etch transition as the means of upgrading the kernel, but that it should be approached separately.

    Here is a write-up of how to handle the sarge -> etch upgrade:

    http://www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/103/1/

    Perhaps you could just upgrade the kernel and hope that it handles the hardware better than 2.4, before you go worrying about modules. I haven't investigated the 2.6 kernel as regards your particular hardware, but it's worth a shot.

    Hope this helps.
    im messing with 2.6.18 since i read that 2.6.19 is crap and i need a version of 2.6 for wifi to work



    side question??? should i just wait for etch to go stable and skip all this stuff?
    GNUoob.com Name says it all

    eek....I am a geek.....(attemptive)Linux user #328439

    My Puter: Hamster Processor/some rams/and 22 floppies in raid.

    My Folding@Home Stats

    THANK YOU JustLinux.com crew

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    N California
    Posts
    953
    Just install "testing"

    Etch(testing) install images

    Debian Installers

    Good Luck,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    876
    gnuoob
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by happybunny
    apt-get install linux-image-2.6-18-3-686

    i tried


    error...
    e
    E: couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.18.6-686
    1st: Make sure your /etc/apt/sourse.list list is updated apt-get update
    2nd: Its linux-image-2.6.18-3-686 Not (linux-image-2.6-18-3-686) That period will make all the difference. So the command is apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-3-686

    While your at it you may want to install the headers also, apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.18-3-686

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    14,947
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuoob
    ???

    there was nothing wrong with my title mr happy edit
    I would beg to differ.

    Your original thread title (that is, "ok im trying linux again(again)...again....again...............") doesn't tell anyone anything about the problem you're having. At least "how to upgrade kernel in Debian" is a bit more descriptive of your current problem, so people don't have to read all of this thread to figure out what you're asking about.

    And when people can see what you're asking about right on the forum thread list, you're more likely to get people reading your question that are likely to know its answer.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    boston, mass USA
    Posts
    1,880
    apt-cache search linux-image

    will return a whole bunch of kernels for you to pick from

    then

    apt-get install what-ever-you-want

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sacramento CA - USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrangerman43
    1st: Make sure your /etc/apt/sourse.list list is updated apt-get update
    2nd: Its linux-image-2.6.18-3-686 Not (linux-image-2.6-18-3-686) That period will make all the difference. So the command is apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-3-686

    While your at it you may want to install the headers also, apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.18-3-686

    dave@Darwin:~$ su
    Password:
    Darwin:/home/dave# apt-cache search linux-image
    Darwin:/home/dave# apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-3-686
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.18-3-686
    Darwin:/home/dave# apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-3-686
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.18-3-686
    Darwin:/home/dave# apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.18-3-686
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package linux-headers-2.6.18-3-686
    Darwin:/home/dave#





    uhgg!
    GNUoob.com Name says it all

    eek....I am a geek.....(attemptive)Linux user #328439

    My Puter: Hamster Processor/some rams/and 22 floppies in raid.

    My Folding@Home Stats

    THANK YOU JustLinux.com crew

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sacramento CA - USA
    Posts
    148
    i just downloaded the etch floppies dated 11-06 and created them. i tried to boot off of them in order to attempt the install so i will have a 2.6 kernel by default.

    no beans. the laptop has a usb-floppy and it would seem that 2.4 sarge is able to load off of it but not 2.6 etch

    what gives??
    GNUoob.com Name says it all

    eek....I am a geek.....(attemptive)Linux user #328439

    My Puter: Hamster Processor/some rams/and 22 floppies in raid.

    My Folding@Home Stats

    THANK YOU JustLinux.com crew

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sacramento CA - USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    apt-cache search linux-image

    will return a whole bunch of kernels for you to pick from

    then

    apt-get install what-ever-you-want

    thanks but now i have to ask....

    where do i pick from? no list that i can see appears in front of me.
    /where/is_this_list???
    GNUoob.com Name says it all

    eek....I am a geek.....(attemptive)Linux user #328439

    My Puter: Hamster Processor/some rams/and 22 floppies in raid.

    My Folding@Home Stats

    THANK YOU JustLinux.com crew

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuoob
    im messing with 2.6.18 since i read that 2.6.19 is crap and i need a version of 2.6 for wifi to work



    side question??? should i just wait for etch to go stable and skip all this stuff?

    The earlier link instructions I posted were intended for a person who had installed unstable (sid). There was mention that you could probably use the instructions with testing (etch).

    From what I can see, you installed stable (sarge). I am also running sarge, and am quite happy with it.

    Could you follow the directions for upgrading sarge to etch? Then you could possibly use the directions in the first link I posted to upgrade the kernel from 2.4 to 2.6.

    It's up to you as to whether you should just wait for etch to be released as the stable branch. It should happen sometime this month. You'll may still have to do the kernel upgrade as per the first link I listed, but it may go more smoothly once you are running etch.

    On a side note, perhaps you should try posting to the debian community helpsites.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •