Install new software in Mandriva 2006

Thread: Install new software in Mandriva 2006

Install new software in Mandriva 2006

Dear all,
    I am totally blind in command lines. Now I am using Mandriva 2006 and always running in graphic mode. Sometimes I download new softwares but don't know how to install? I heard to install software in linux os must use command in konsole windows, and sometimes a software request what is called dependencies softwares to complete the installation, is that right? Than how is the command and how do I know if the software is ready to install or should lean on other dependencies?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by donatello; 10-19-2007 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donatello
    Dear all,
    I am totally blind in command lines. Now I am using Mandriva 2006 and always running in graphic mode. Sometimes I download new softwares but don't know how to install? I heard to install software in linux os must use command in konsole windows, and sometimes a software request what is called dependencies softwares to complete the installation, is that right? Than how is the command and how do I know if the software is ready to install or should lean on other dependencies?
    Thanks!

I think that what you want is something called urpmi. It's a package management engine for Mandriva, similar to Yum for Fedora or Yast for SUSE, Synaptic for Debian, etc. You're in luck it runs graphically. Do a google search for urpmi, and you should be golden.

Thank you guys for all your help. I will download urpmi and see what can I do with that weapon.

I have visited easyurpmi.zarb.org and followed the 3 step they suggest, but I don't know what happen after that? And then what should I do? If it must using command line, oh,dear, I am totally blind about that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones
    You're in luck it runs graphically.
    Isn't urpmi a commandline app? See this page. (The page also serves as an excellent reference to urpmi.)

----------

@donatello

There are a few graphical frontends to urpmi (just as Synaptic is one to apt-get). You could use one of these, called rpmdrake. To launch the same, do one of these:

a. From the system menus, navigate to System | Configuration | Packaging and click the appropriate option

or

b. From the Mandriva Linux Control Center (System Menu | System | Configuration | Configure Your Computer), go to the Software Management tab, and click the appropriate option

Once you're comfy with rpmdrake, try out your hand at urpmi... after all, you shouldn't be afraid to try out new things (and especially so on Linux)... ;-)

More info on package management (on Mandriva), here.

----------

Hope that helps

----------

Quote Originally Posted by i845_
    Isn't urpmi a commandline app? See this page. (The page also serves as an excellent reference to urpmi.)
    That was my bad. My experience with Mandriva was brief, and relatively long ago. I must have been thinking of that web page as a gui.

If you can't get help here, try looking for a mandriva forum. Linuxquestions.org (a very popular site) has distro specific sections. There must be mandriva section.