Vista booting Linux explained

Thread: Vista booting Linux explained

Threaded View

Vista booting Linux explained

Edited - 28/4/09 - Tried the MS Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bits which use the same bootmgr and BCDedit as Vista. Thus this thread is also applicable to the new Windows 7.

NT versions of MS Windows can multi-boot Linux by its boot loader NTLDR. The steps are summarized in Task E4 of Just Booting tips.

I have been looking at Vista's new boot manager and use it boot Linux. The basics has not changed. The key features are using the bcdedit.exe to carry out 4 main steps (first 2 are done in Linux).

• The Linux must has a boot loader, either Lilo or Grub, in its root partition.
    • The first sector of 512 bytes of the Linux partition is copied into the partition where Vista's bootmgr resides.
    • Vista BCDedit is informed of the name of the Linux. An identifier is issued by BCDedit.
    • User declares the identifier as a device boot.
    • User informs BCDedit the filename of the Linux's first sector.
    • User informs BCDedit the booting order of the Linux

In a nutshell Vista chainloads a Linux same as Grub or Lilo. However while Linux chainloads another system at the +1 position (starting from the second sector and load the entire boot sector) Vista only loads the first sector nothing else.

This is more to do with MS attitude towards other operating systems. It is a message saying I don't support you guys and there is no way I would come out to read your partition and fetch your boot loader. If you want me to boot you then place the first sector on a plate and deliver it to my "C" drive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Implementation

The best Linux for work with a Vista is possibly the current version of Slax which automatically mounts every partition it finds, already shipped with ntfs-3g so writing on ntfs partitions is seamless, offers root privilege to the user and permits user a complete freedom in the graphic desktop.

Thus if Vista is already mounted in /mnt/sda2 one can copy the first sector of any LInux partition, say sda7, to the "C" drive of Vista directly bt terminal command
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda7 of=/mnt/sda2/sda7.bin  bs=512 count=1
    The binary file used is "sda7.bin".

Thereafter there are 4 steps in Vista to implement the booting. The work is done in Command Prompt but must be run as the adminstrator. Just right click the "command prompt" and select "Run as Adminstrator". Vista will drop you straight into c:\Windows\system32 directory where the control program bcdedit.exe resides.

Step-1 Vista BCDedit is informed of the name of the Linux.

This is done by command
    Code:
    bcdedit /create /d "Linux_in_sda7" /application BOOTSECTOR
    The entry {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff} was successfully created.
    In the above only the Green bit is the input. The second line in orange is the response by Vista bcdedit. The entry {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff} is internally generated by bcdedit sequentially as a unique identifer which must be used in the next 3 steps.

Step-2 User declares the identifier as a device boot.

This is by command
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff} device boot
    Step-3 User informs BCDedit the filename of the Linux's first sector.

This is by command
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff} PATH \sda7.bin
    Step-4 User informs BCDedit the booting order of the Linux

This is by command
    Code:
    bcdedit /displayorder {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff} /addlast
    The complete response the command prompt looks like this
    Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /create /d "Linux_in_sda7" /application BOOTSECTOR
    The entry {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff} was successfully created.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff} device boot
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff} PATH  \sda7.bin

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /displayorder {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff}  /addlast

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /enum

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=C:
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    default                 {current}
    displayorder            {current}
                            {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 1000

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {current}
    device                  partition=C:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Windows Vista
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    osdevice                partition=C:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
    nx                      OptOut

Real-mode Boot Sector
    ---------------------
    identifier              {c4c13df3-7949-11dc-98f8-81e4e48608ff}
    device                  boot
    path                    \sda7.bin
    description             Linux_in_sda7

C:\Windows\system32>
    Lastly I used the command "bcdedit /enum" to list the booting choices, which are just Vista and the new Linux I added. In the above the blue bits are commands while the rest is response by Vista.

For using Vista to boot more Linux it pays to write a script to automate the process, as I did in here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disappointments of Vista

(1) I have used a python script to automate booting of 20 Linux (later for 150 Linux) but found only those in the same hard disk as Vista can boot successfully. It would appear bcdedit.exe has not been written to handle booting system in a hard disk other than the one Vista residing.

(2) The location of the Linux first sector file also needs to be in the root directory as the bootmgr.exe. When I placed the same file in a subdirectory the booting failed.

(3) Vista has a scrolling screen but only the top 6 are visible. The highlight key may drop below the 6 booting choices and disappear completely in some instances.
    Last edited by saikee; 04-28-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"