Installing yum

Thread: Installing yum

Question Installing yum

Ok so I downloaded yum the yum rpm (yum-3.2.20-0.src.rpm)
    ran rpm -i yum-3.2.20-0.src.rpm

untarred the resulting tar file (into /usr/programs/yum-3.2.20) programs being a directory i created for apps i want to install

then I ran make in that folder

got the output in the image

sorry about the pic i dont know how to get the text copied from the terminal emulator

question is why yum does not run

I know python is a dapendency so how do I check if python is installed and working?
    Attached Images Attached Images

rpm -qa will show all installed packages. Instead of installing the source RPM for yum, why not install the binary version?

okay easy way to check for python is to type python at command prompt!

rpm -qa will show all installed packages. Instead of installing the source RPM for yum, why not install the binary version?
    erm cos while i was searching all i found was source code stuff, sorry I had suse before this and pretty much all the programs could be installed through yast

could you help out with a link to a binary (is that what you call it?)

how would i install the binary if i did get one?

as you can see i have messed with linux, but never actually rolled my sleeves up!

rpm -qa gives me a message of "invalid option --a"

only valid options i have are q , p, i, l, d,c

does that mean i have an old version of rpm?

Edit:

ok the sequence in configure, make, make install

no configure file so i ran make, but never ran make install!!

no python seems to be missing a module, more reading!
    Last edited by shaunm123456; 12-19-2008 at 04:40 PM.

What distro are you running?
    Glennzo
    Powered by Fedora 17

you are right, the proper sequence is configure, make, make install

however, you cannot just simply skip one and go to the next

they're all dependent on each other (thats why they're in sequence )

i encountered the same but on installing a different app, and i have to get the updated compiler libs in order for it to work.

cheers !!!
    BASED FROM YOUR POSTS, I HAVE EXAMINED YOUR BEHAVIORAL PATTERN AND I SAW YOUR BRAIN'S TWO SIDES : LEFT & RIGHT, AND I SAW THAT ON THE LEFT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING RIGHT WHILE ON THE RIGHT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING LEFT

Quote Originally Posted by Glennzo
    What distro are you running?
    I am running puppy linux 4.1.2

it was small enough to download, and i figured that anything that was missing would give me a good opportunity to learn more about linux

two things:

first: src rpms and source are not the same things.
    the normal steps to install a src rpm:
    - rpm -ivh <package>.src.rpm
    - rpmbuild -bb <package>.spec
    - rpm -i /usr/src/RPMS/<architecture>/<package>.rpm
    this assuming that your source is your currently directory and that /usr/src/linux point to your actual source. (it's also assuming you're using redhat or fedora).

second: did you download and setup the gpg key? (eg rpm --import <distro>-gpg-key).
    BEHOLD!!! MY AWESOME HUMILITY!
    Ex Linux, Scientia

i use:
    centos 5.2 on 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (filer/print server)
    ubuntu 8.10 on 1.6 GHz Celeron M (personal laptop)

Quote Originally Posted by Davy
    two things:

first: src rpms and source are not the same things.
    the normal steps to install a src rpm:
    - rpm -ivh <package>.src.rpm
    - rpmbuild -bb <package>.spec
    - rpm -i /usr/src/RPMS/<architecture>/<package>.rpm
    this assuming that your source is your currently directory and that /usr/src/linux point to your actual source. (it's also assuming you're using redhat or fedora).

second: did you download and setup the gpg key? (eg rpm --import <distro>-gpg-key).

I am quite new to installing things on linux, the rpm i got i extracted and ran make, then make install

I have no idea what a gpg key is

also I do not have rpmbuild on my pc

puppy linux comes with busybox, which has a very stripped down version of rpm (been doing some research!)

shaunm123456, if you are using Puppy, why in hell install yum? Don't get me wrong, but isn't Puppy a source install distro? To me its like fitting a square peg in a round hole. Why do that?

Better that you install an RPM distro or Debian distro rather than go through the convoluted steps you want to manage your distro of choice.

Sir, pick a distro that best fits you. If you want to use yum, use an RPM distro rather than try to fit a big a foot into a small shoe like you're trying to do.

So step back and think about how you want to manage your OS. And act, or install, accordingly

Bud, you're going through too much trouble. Hell, you can install DSL ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) and make things easier for yourself. And all without much trouble. And still learning about Linux.

Step back for a minute and think about it. You want to learn about Linux? Great! Use it properly. But don't try to mix and match. The good distros, small or full blown, have package managers that make life easier. Why try to shove in one that doesn't match your distro?

Slow down young man. Slow down.
    Last edited by loopback48; 12-28-2008 at 07:12 PM.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Hi Loopback48,

Puppy linux seemed to have a bit more support than DSL, so I chose that hoping that my I would get help if I ever got stuck.

Seems no-one has ever tried to install yum on puppy though

But if I understand correctly, DSL has yum installed already? Or at least it will be easier to install yum?

My bandwidth is quite limited so I cant download something like suse or debian, they are just too big.

I cannot find any reference on the site to yum, and the hard drive install seems convoluted, I have to wipe out my entire hard drive apparently.

No, DSL is a Debian based distro - if memory serves. And as far as I'm concerned, it comes with the best package manager of All Time - Apt-Get (via CLI).

If you really want my opinion, and who in their right mind doesn't, you'll install Debian Lenny. Use the netinstall CD. Should be labeled 'Testing'. It'll be called Lenny once it's 'Officially' released.

See link at bottom of my post. Great site with helpful Debian Etch and Lenny tips.

Oh, and forget installing or using yum unless you're using Fedora. Which come with it. I understand Fedora is the only distro using yum.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Had a look at the site,

seems I need to first clear off the hard drive, so considering using the wifes computer (Which is old and unstable) to install so I can have my pc on with the instructions on screen.

Then when its done I will pop her hard drive into my pc and just switch cables to switch between the two (Puppy / windows and DSL)

Could you tell me if I could install Oracle XE using apt-get? Or let me know how I could go about finding out?

Thanks for the info!

First: here's a link for Oracle http://www.oracle.com/technology/tec...n-kubuntu.html

Second: I haven't the slightest idea what its used for. But it looks like it can be installed on Debian.

Third: Start a new thread on Oracle. Per the forum's rules, one topic per thread.

Hang in there, You'll get. I know you will. If an old fart like me can, so will you.

P.S. If you're starting from scratch on an old HD, why not give Etch or Lenny a shot first? Use the 'netinstall' CD. Couldn't hurt. And if it doesn't work, throw DSL on that drive.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Hi loopback48, got debian installed. Chewed its way through my months bandwidth and I am not done yet.Oracle XE is over 200 MBs. Thanks for the help though, will create a new post on oracle if I get stuck.