Seeking advice on InkJet printer

Thread: Seeking advice on InkJet printer

Hybrid View

Seeking advice on InkJet printer

Hi folks,

I'm now shopping an economic all-in-on Photo InkJet printer, including printing and scanner, (faxing being optional) preferrable Cannon. There are many of them available on computer shop. It won't be easy for me to decide. I only print and scan occasionally, heavy duty being NOT a MUST. The printer shall be used on Windows machine as well as Linux machine.

Suggestion and comment would be appreciated. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

http://opensource.hp.com/

Seems from earlier search i did on the subject that HP has good support for Linux, I am looking to buy a (All in On Inkjet) HP5610 or may be a HP6310 (wifi network version) as soon i find a good deal on them.
    PS these models are not photo printers.

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"

I use an HP OfficeJet J5780 without any problems.

Inkjet

But for a few exceptions, Canon is not Linux friendly, has no intention of supporting Linux (that I know of), and is at the forefront of devising PTP and MTP protocols in conjunction with MS, Sony and others in order to keep some digital photo and audio in proprietary formats .....so return the favor, don't buy their products.

HP, Epson, Samsung and Brother all-in-ones have worked well with Linux and Windows. FWIW you will get much better value from a laser. They are pretty inexpensive nowadays. I am currently using a DCP7020 laser all in one with drivers from the Brother website and Brother Japan even gave me 24 hr email tech support when I loaded the wrong Linux driver. (all is working nicely now)

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Trio3b; 04-05-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trio3b
    But for a few exceptions, Canon is not Linux friendly, has no intention of supporting Linux (that I know of), and is at the forefront of devising PTP and MTP protocols in conjunction with MS, Sony and others in order to keep some digital photo and audio in proprietary formats .....so return the favor, don't buy their products.

HP, Epson, Samsung and Brother all-in-ones have worked well with Linux and Windows. FWIW you will get much better value from a laser. They are pretty inexpensive nowadays. I am currently using a DCP7020 laser all in one with drivers from the Brother website and Brother Japan even gave me 24 hr email tech support when I loaded the wrong Linux driver. (all is working nicely now)
    Thanks for your advice. Can it print photos? If YES how about the photo printing quality?

I'm aware that if the price of the laser printer is low then the toner replacement will be high. On the contrary if the price of the laser printer is high then the toner replacment will be low. How is about the Brother laser printer ? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Quote Originally Posted by E1PHOTON
    I use an HP OfficeJet J5780 without any problems.
    Thanks for your advice.

satimis

printer

Brother laser about $125US with toner $68US, but this is monochrome laser. Most inexpensive lasers are not meant for photo quality.

I don't know where you are located but some photoshops and drugstores print jpegs for .19US per print in less than 1 hour. The quality is much better than you can get from most inkjets and you will not have to replace ink cartridges ($18 each color x3= $58 + black $25US =$83US which is more than half the cost of a new printer. I personally find it easier to download my photos online to the local drugstore and pickup prints the same day for just a few dollars and not worry about inkjets. All my documents are printed on the laser.

You must determine your usage to decide if an inkjet is worthwhile.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Trio3b; 04-05-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Does Canon us a print head separate from the ink cartridge? if so, it may be a terrible choice for an occasional user. I had a very bad experience with an Epson. The print head clogged up between uses and a new print head would run more than a new printer.

With HP, when a cartridge dries up before I have used all the ink, I can pitch it and restore my printer for the price of a cartridge.

I am currently experimenting with adding a drop or 2 of antifreeze to the ink i use to refill the cartridge. As the water evaporates, it leaves the glycol keeping the ink fluid. I am not ready to declare success or failure.

I am also pricing laser printers. I would hope the dry toner won't dry up and clog the print head. Years ago, I had good luck with an Olivetti that used dry toner.

Quote Originally Posted by Davno
    http://opensource.hp.com/

Seems from earlier search i did on the subject that HP has good support for Linux, I am looking to buy a (All in On Inkjet) HP5610 or may be a HP6310 (wifi network version) as soon i find a good deal on them.
    PS these models are not photo printers.
    Noted with thanks.