Installing FreeBSD on logical partition

Thread: Installing FreeBSD on logical partition

Lightbulb Installing FreeBSD on logical partition

I've FreeBSD installed on primary partition, wish i can move it over extended partition. Is it possible? I've 3 disks and they are no primary partitions available.

Not done recently but FreeBSD's boot loader needs to be booted from a primary partition. It works the same way as a MS Windows that boots a primary partition with the booting flag switched on. The only BSD I know that can be installed in a logical partition is NetBSD. Haven't any luck with the others but time might have changed that.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Quote Originally Posted by saikee View Post
    Not done recently but FreeBSD's boot loader needs to be booted from a primary partition. It works the same way as a MS Windows that boots a primary partition with the booting flag switched on. The only BSD I know that can be installed in a logical partition is NetBSD. Haven't any luck with the others but time might have changed that.
    I tried installing NetBSD on logical but it didnt work, had to put that on primary. I was thinking of moving FreeBSD to logical and make Dragonfly install on its #. Making space now for Dragonfly install.

Thanks,

David

Do you have an install of Windows on any disk in a primary partition? You can boot using boot.ini or Win loader.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Do you have an install of Windows on any disk in a primary partition? You can boot using boot.ini or Win loader.
    Yeah I got windows 7 on sda1. Let me see what I can do with it.

When installing FreeBSD and you are asked what boot manager to install
    select to not install anything. In this way your Win7 boot will not be
    affected. If after this you find that at startup you are not given ANY
    choice but FreeBSD starts automatically, this is simply because it's
    partition is marked active. Boot with a CD like Norton Partition Magic
    or GParted and mark the Win7 partition active. Boot Win7, then
    download and install the EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
    It is then trivial to add a stanza to Win7 bootloader (!) to boot
    FreeBSD.

Other solutions.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    When installing FreeBSD and you are asked what boot manager to install
    select to not install anything. In this way your Win7 boot will not be
    affected. If after this you find that at startup you are not given ANY
    choice but FreeBSD starts automatically, this is simply because it's
    partition is marked active. Boot with a CD like Norton Partition Magic
    or GParted and mark the Win7 partition active. Boot Win7, then
    download and install the EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
    It is then trivial to add a stanza to Win7 bootloader (!) to boot
    FreeBSD.

Other solutions.
    I guess I didn't make myself clear earlier. I have 4 flavors of BSD's along with 26 Linux, Windows & Solaris. I was wondering whether I can move FreeBSD from primary to extended in order to make space for DragonFly BSD install. At the end I managed to shrink the partitions, move ntfs (data) to extended and installed DragonFly BSD on a primary.

Thanks for your time.

I thought I made myself clear with Post #2.

Not all operating system can be moved between partitions. Linux is one of the few that can do it but some server graded distros would need some functions, like Selinux, disabled after the migration.

Most BSD systems use a boot loader relying on finding a bootable or active partition to boot to. Therefore you can see there are only 4 choices, for the 4 primaries, in the menu. These distros have not been written to operate in logical partitions and you will find their installers would not allow you to install them in the logical partitions. If you migrate the system you might find the system unbootable afterward.

I am not sure of BSD but I believe Solaris can't be moved even between primary partitions the system is fixed with the Bios drive once installed.

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by saikee View Post
    I thought I made myself clear with Post #2.

Not all operating system can be moved between partitions. Linux is one of the few that can do it but some server graded distros would need some functions, like Selinux, disabled after the migration.

Most BSD systems use a boot loader relying on finding a bootable or active partition to boot to. Therefore you can see there are only 4 choices, for the 4 primaries, in the menu. These distros have not been written to operate in logical partitions and you will find their installers would not allow you to install them in the logical partitions. If you migrate the system you might find the system unbootable afterward.

I am not sure of BSD but I believe Solaris can't be moved even between primary partitions the system is fixed with the Bios drive once installed.
    I hear you. Tried hide/unhide on Solaris slice and later it was unbootable. Solaris doesnt give users a chance to play around.

You can always add more hard disks to the PC as each one gives you 4 primaries.

The other alternative is to switch from Msdos to gpt partitions. The gpt partitioning scheme has no logical partitions and you get 128 primaries out of every hard disk. However I don't think Solaris or BSD systems are supporting it since even the 64-bit MS systems requires additional hardware to run it. Linux can read/write any gpt partition without any problem but many installers have not been wriiten to cope wth partitions higher than 15th position.

You best bet is use more hard disks. It is a pain but you are up against the limit of the technolgy here.

Virtual machine is another alternative but I wouldn't bet on its support for all the BSD systems. Think you can get a Solaoris in alright.