Installing software without a package manager. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing software without a package manager.

-- I am bowing down to superior knowledge --

Thank you, bwkaz, for clarifying the issue. I didn't actually provide you with any information and I'm grateful that you've taken the time and effort to go and find it.

In the long run, what is open-source should be truly open-source and this is a prime example of internal squabbling that harms the system. The code is open-source and it should remain in the public domain. After all, the people who wrote it intended it to be used by all and sundry.

It is annoying that I cannot use FreeRadius (I don't want to have to maintain packages on my server since I am away an awful lot and it would be difficult) because of its linkages into OpenSSL but I'll just have to live with it.

Perhaps in time I'll use Gentoo and therefore compile my own software so that I am free from such frivolities. In the short term, the advantages of Debian are too great for me to consider other systems.

Many thanks for your excellent advice once again.

James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net
    -----------------------------

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

Quote Originally Posted by Satanic Atheist
    The code is open-source
    Well, with the advertisement clause, it doesn't conform to the Open Source Definition (see section 1). So depending on what you mean by open source, you may or may not be right. The source is available, but that isn't quite sufficient.

and it should remain in the public domain.
    But it's not in the public domain. The OpenSSL people still have copyright. ("Public domain" == "I give up all copyright")

After all, the people who wrote it intended it to be used by all and sundry.
    True. Which is why (if I was in charge ) OpenSSL should be re-licensed. The problem is, OpenSSL is a derivative of SSLeay, whose license prevents further changes, so I don't think they can. (Short of reimplementing all the code that came from SSLeay.)

(This is why ever using the BSD license with advertisement clause intact is, IMO, a bad idea. The BSD license allows future restrictions, including the restriction of not changing the license at all -- but if that gets added, the whole work's license is immutable. Since it's also incompatible with the most prevalent open-source license used in Linux software, it's a huge problem for us.)

Perhaps in time I'll use Gentoo and therefore compile my own software so that I am free from such frivolities. In the short term, the advantages of Debian are too great for me to consider other systems.
    Yeah; sucks doesn't it. Blame Eric A. Young for his original choice of licenses way back when he first wrote the library (I'm guessing 198mumble).

Running an .sh file such as 'Gmoteserver.sh'.

Quote Originally Posted by E1PHOTON View Post
    Well this shouldn't be too much of a problem to get running.

First off, you need to make sure you have VLC installed. If you don't have it, nab it from the Ubuntu repo's thusly:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    Or get it from the Add/Remove New Software application in the start menu.

Then you have to have Java running in order to get it started up, too. So make sure you have the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed.

Now, this little script requires VLC to reside in /usr/bin/. I don't know where ubuntu drops the VLC executable, but

Code:
    whereis vlc
    should find it for you. If it isn't in /usr/bin/, make a symbolic link to it.

Code:
    sudo ln -s <where vlc is> /usr/bin/vlc
    Hi,

Excellent guide on installing VLC. As this post was stumbled across trying to install Gmote onto Lbuntu could you please be kind enough to advise whether it's possible to run an .sh file such as 'GmoteServer.sh' by double-clicking on the file itself as opposed to having to enter 'sh Gmoteserver.sh' in a Terminal Window? Also is it possible to automatically run an .sh file on startup?

Thank you for your help it's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbietoLinux View Post
    Hi,

Excellent guide on installing VLC. As this post was stumbled across trying to install Gmote onto Lbuntu could you please be kind enough to advise whether it's possible to run an .sh file such as 'GmoteServer.sh' by double-clicking on the file itself as opposed to having to enter 'sh Gmoteserver.sh' in a Terminal Window?
    That should work. Have you tried it?

Also is it possible to automatically run an .sh file on startup?

Thank you for your help it's much appreciated.
    I don't use Gnome, but according to this thread you can do it pretty easily.