Best distro for low maint samba server - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best distro for low maint samba server

You did not state how many users you have so that is why I asked if it was a lot of work.
    You also asked if you had to create account for every user that is why I suggested mapping the share with on account.
    I was only trying to answer some of the question you asked.
    If you did not like my answer why didn't you just ingnore it.

sorry mofg - no offence intended, I can now see where you're coming from (there's about five or six users, just to fill in that info).
    In the process of arriving at Debian after seeing the light with Bucky Badger, which will date me if we ever have a Zany Zebra

Thumbs up woo hooo

Thanks so much Trilarian - that worked (eventually)...

along the way I managed (don't ask how) to use my recall key rapid fire and rm /etc/samba/smb/conf from my nice debian install...

this led me to try FREENAS as a "quick fix" - but it could not even find the hard drive to mount, so that was a total fail (the web interface looked neat, lots of fancy options, but without the meat not a lot of use!)....

then it was late and I was tired from what should have been oh so easy - so I went with Ubuntu server after a quick IRC canvas - and this proved to work out of the box once I added your STORAGE config!

I knew there was a reason I liked Ubuntu.

I shall come to like debian - one day, but for now I remain a bit of an Ubuntu fan, probably because of my shortcomings.

And apologies again to mofg - that was a misunderstanding, I must read more carefully.
    In the process of arriving at Debian after seeing the light with Bucky Badger, which will date me if we ever have a Zany Zebra

No problem I was jumping ahead not thinking you would have so many problems getting it working and would need away to get it to the users. I should have explained myself better.
    It is usually a pretty easy setup but there is always the exception.
    Last edited by mofg; 02-13-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MainframeGuy View Post
    along the way I managed (don't ask how) to use my recall key rapid fire and rm /etc/samba/smb/conf from my nice debian install...
    Installing another OS from scratch seems excessive over restoring the default config file and modifying that, but if it works now all is good.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Just to close the loop on this thread - their server is perched on top of the stationary cupboard onsite and showing uptime in excess of five days and they are all happy bunnies (far as I can tell).

They are also very lucky bunnies (unlike me, boo hoo) While I was onsite installing my home was burgled and four or five boxen including laptops (working and defunct) along with many other high value items, daughters DS, spare keys were stolen - I guess they'd not likely take the server though...

Only upside - I had left my main box online in IRC so was able to give police a precise time of theft from the channel part... I may consider rigging something a little fancier up with webcam next time and a server that is bolted down to retain images.... or is that just going geek paranoid crazy? Maybe just a fake sign to scare them - saying - your images are being recorded at a remote host - leave now - the police are receiving the video feed!

Just to close the loop on this thread - their server is perched on top of the stationary cupboard onsite and showing uptime in excess of five days and they are all happy bunnies (far as I can tell).
    That is good to hear. What will be nice is after it has been up for 6 months or so without ever needing a reboot or tech call. That should leave a good impression in their minds.

I may consider rigging something a little fancier up with webcam next time and a server that is bolted down to retain images.... or is that just going geek paranoid crazy?
    GAH! I hate to hear that bud. I know I work hard for my little collection of possessions and would be furious to have them taken from me. I don't think setting up a camera is paranoid. Actually I have a few setup that are wireless and hidden. They transmit to a server I keep in my closet so not to be obviously there (get a low power one too so you can't hear the fans and give away it's location). Since my BlackBerry can get emails, I have it set to send an email if one of the motion sensors is set off. I can then make my way to a computer and look at the video feed over the Internet. Interestingly I haven't had a burglar problem, but I have called my landlord on his cell and asked him why he was looking through my stuff.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain