Can someone pleeez tell me how to get into Linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone pleeez tell me how to get into Linux

Unhappy Can someone pleeez tell me how to get into Linux

I just bought a new laptop with a Linux OS (and apparently there are many variations but I have no idea which one it is). I didn't think it would be a major project to turn it on and get into it but it is. It came with no instructions and I cannot get past [root@localhost /]# Is there anyone who can tell me what I need to enter to get in??

type startx and then explain to us more about what you got from who and what it is running....this can't be a new laptop?

startx says command not found

This is a BRAND new laptop--emachine E520. It says "Linpus Linux LiveCD Edition v9.2 b080801av1 on the screen.

yeah that doesn't sound right. Don't know who would sell you a laptop that takes you to a root prompt.
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

sounds like something broke then...it also sounds like maybe there is a CD IN the machine at the moment? The installed OS shouldn't say LiveCD...sure there isn't something in there?

Did you try the startx command by the way?

FYI: the graphical user interface (gui) is not as linked together in linux as it is in Windows.

So, Linux can be happily installed and functioning even without you being able to see icons and wallpaper, etc.

It sounds like your graphics are messed up, so linux will boot up but the GUI will not start either because it is broken, or because Acer decided not to start it automatically.

typing startx will determine if something is broken, or if the GUI is just not coming on by default.

No there's no CD in there

although I tried putting the DVD in and booting from there but same result. Yeh I tried startx but it just says command not found

Where did you get this? Can you link me the product info?

I found this "Acer eME520-2496 eMACHINE E520 LINUX BOOT UP ENGLISH ONLY"....which sounds very suspicious...."linux boot up"? Sounds like maybe they just sold you hardware with enough of an OS to get you too a # prompt and no real OS installed.

My suggestion is to get this http://www.ubuntu.com/ and boot off of it and see what happens.

If all goes well, you'll have an icon on the desktop to "install" Ubuntu onto your laptop.

I got it at buy.com
    http://www.buy.com/prod/acer-emachin...209114569.html
    I was noticing on Google that these appear to have been sold mainly in the U.K.
    I even tried to format the drive with no luck. I'll try ubuntu.
    Thanks

@happybunny

I have an Acer Aspire 5920-6A2G16-Mi (bought in the month of October, last year), and I can confirm that quite a few Acer laptop models come bundled with Linpus Linux. In certain units, it gives you a standard login prompt, while in other cases, it simply drops you into single-user mode (this had happened in my case as well.)

@x77001

Go with Ubuntu. Your hardware should be well supported.

I'm just going to return this thing. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time screwing around with it.

Yep, return it. There is no excuse for selling you a machine that doesn't just work. The experience should have been exactly easy, turn it on, it runs the first run wizard and you are off and running. If you get details on what/how a broken machine was delivered, let us know.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

I bought one also, from Woot....could not startx...could not find anything 'x'...noticed part of the hd had w95 ?? installed....wiped hard drive and installed slackware 12.0. Installed fine, but need to get sound working. Did alsaconf no problems but when bringing up alsamixer, there is only a volume and one other control instead of a whole slew of slidebars....Now I need to get dsl connection working. I edited my /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf like I normally do, but still could not get online.
    Funny thing, I could not boot knoppix or a live version of Puppy.... not sure why live cd's don't boot...
    will try again later and write down the error message and post later.

great....I'm sure selling laptops with crippled versions of Linux will do wonders for Linux on the desktop.
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

http://my.opera.com/linuxadore/blog/...spire-laptops/

Many people seem to have similar problem with this setup. The info on this page may help a bit. I think most people get it to install another operating system, whether windows or another distribution of linux.

I have seen elsewhere that some companies enter into agreements where they are not allowed to sell the computer without an operating system, so they put on linpus or sometimes FreeDOS.

Ehawk-
    Thanks for the links. I will check it out. Last night I got a later version of Knoppix to boot...it was burned to a dvd and not a cd. So dvds boot but not cd's....not sure the reason.... With knoppix, I also was able to get online but I still have not got sound working. The real reason for purchasing this lappy was to use it for digital ham radio using Digipup....so now I am downloading it and am going to burn the iso to a dvd and not a cd like I originally did. The cd version works great with my custom desktop.....
    The lappy came with a 'emachines E720/520 Series Resource DVD'. I am not sure what it does, but I may try installing it.
    all the best
    Neil