FC10 - Fresh Instal VolGroup00 Not found Sata issue

Thread: FC10 - Fresh Instal VolGroup00 Not found Sata issue

Hybrid View

FC10 - Fresh Instal VolGroup00 Not found Sata issue

I already know "what" my problem is, however I am having difficulty fixing it.

I recently upgraded our companies server to a HP ML150; decided to upgrade to FC10 hoping it would go smooth and it is not. It does not detect the SATA drives after the installation.

I get.

"Volume Group "VOLGroup00" not found
    Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
    mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: No such file or directory

I know the problem is that my SATA is not enabled in the kernel or grub, but I don't know how to fix this. My internet searches are coming up a little short and LIVE discs are not working so I am having trouble figuring this out.

Anybody have an idea how I can enable this? Treat me like a moron please.

Recent Ubuntu disks, going back over a year, will not boot on my Nvidia 8200 chipset motherboard until the Sata mode in the bios is reset to Raid (single disk only being used) instead of IDE mode or ACPI. This may not help you; I tried a FC10 live cd and it would not boot in any of the three modes. Ubuntu 8.10 and openSuse 11 booted with the bios in raid mode. Ubuntu didn't boot from the hdd after installing; Suse did eventually after one or two failures to boot after installation. All were 64-bit. The Ubuntu forums where I gleaned the info about using raid mode mentioned problems using the UUID info to find the correct partition. My hdd had been partitioned prior to the installs, and was not partitioned by the installers.

To update:
    I have checked my BIOS and it has no setting for SATA or RAID which is weird and really annoying.

I have also tried the rescue cd:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    then typing mkinitrd --with=scsi_mod.scan=sync
    which seems to have done nothing

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=476337

I am really drawing a blank here. How do I get my SATA drives to be recognized? I have 2 arrays with 5 hdds.

Originally Posted by spuds
    I figured this out after doing more google searches. Turns out this is a known issue with the scsi initialization not waiting long enough. You have to rebuild initrd with 'mkinitrd' and use the --with=scsi_wait_scan

Boot off the install DVD and go into rescue mode.
    Cd the mounted root for the hard drive with new installation. Then do a "chroot" so you are now operating on the installed disk drive.

next run the following command:

mkinitrd -f --with=scsi_wait_scan /boot/initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64.img 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x_86_64

This will install a new initrd in /boot.
    Now reboot. Should work.

The only issue after this seems to be a bad name resolver library that is causing yum updates to fail because it can't resolve some repository host names. That was fixed by hardcoding some of the mirror sites in /etc/hosts.

... Moving on to other hurdles ...

Thank you very much. It worked for me on a HP Proliant ML150 server.

/sbin/mkinitrd -f --with=raid10 --with=raid456 --with=aacraid --with=scsi_wait_scan /boot/initrd-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.x86_64.img 2.6.27.9-159.fc10.x86_64

Worked. Wow am I glad I altered my google search a little bit.