I updated the kernel now the printer is lifeless

Thread: I updated the kernel now the printer is lifeless

I updated the kernel now the printer is lifeless

Well I updated the kernel to Linux 2.6.25.20-0.1 and I lost my wireless and my printer ... but this happened before with the wireless and I re-installed it just fine but the printer is another problem ... I have a wireless hp officejet j6480 which was working fine ... I have opensuse 11.1 on a toshiba satellite ... how do I reload the drivers for the new kernel (assuming that it overwrote the previous kernel) ... do I have to start as a wired printer and complete as a wireless connection

HP's website forum is extreemly helpful, they'll be able to tell you what to do.

Have you got a list of the modules the kernel was proviously loading, such as would have been given by lsmod? If so stick in the relevant modules with your tool, just a figure of speach, in my case it would be modconf; or manually alter /etc/modules is it? The modules might need arguments. In my case I had to fiddle about with udev recently. It is a good idea to see if it works for root.
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Solved ... it was a firewall problem additionaly

Well I had to reload the HPLIP driver but I did not disable the firewall since it was a wireless networked printer ... once the firewall was opened all the magic happened and all the features were loaded ... did not need to install as layers (such as first a direct wired USB connection ... then a network wired unit ... then a wireless one) just follow the auto-installer prompts

Thank you