Wine with Itunes????

Thread: Wine with Itunes????

Unhappy Wine with Itunes????

okay so I looked up on how to install Itunes with wine on linux downloaded itunes downloaded Wine went into the terminal and did the right commands but I keep on getting an error with BAD EXE. so if anyone could point me in the right direction from here I would be much obliged.

Without some further info it's going to be difficult. Which distro are you using? What version of Wine do you have? Have you run winecfg yet? If so, what is the "windows version" set to?

I was able to successfully get iTunes running on my Ubuntu system with Wine, though I wound up having to export a registry key from my Windows system and import it to my Wine registry. (Note, up until somewhere around Wine 1.1.11 you could only import registry keys exported with the older NT format. I remember seeing recently that Wine can now import the new format as well but I don't remember the exact version when that started).

I haven't tried using iTunes 8 though, and I'm sure that's what you're downloading. Also, while most things seemed to work in iTunes 7, I ultimately decided not to use it because the performance was terrible. Doing anything else while using iTunes (such as surfing the web) caused the song to be choppy. When it switched tracks it was choppy. Sometimes just because it felt like it the song was choppy.

I guess I can try iTunes 8 on my system and see what happens. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 now, currently with wine 1.1.19.
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Why are you trying to use iTunes when you have the option of using Amarok? Amarok is so much better than iTunes, and a lot lighter on the resources. I can't stand iTunes personally, or Apple in general.
    Gentoo
    folding@home: 36480

I didn't used to like Macs but one day I decided I wanted a compact Linux system and my roommate at the time suggested I buy a Mac Mini -- it's Unix. So I bought that and have been running it ever since. I later wound up buying a Macbook pro which is what I use for school. So they have certainly grown on me and regardless of how much it costs, the iphone is freaking sweet and ipods are still hands down the best mp3 players out there.

But, when I'm at home, it's all Linux. I even reformatted my work laptop a few years ago. At first I was running a special build based on RHEL (the IBM Linux "open client") but now I run Ubuntu on it.
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

I have an Ipod touch so amorck or floola doesn't work my ipod touch doesnt work period on Ubuntu... Okay so I have the latest Wine update and I did configure it is at Windows XP, I played with it a little bit and I got it so it pulls up the installation of Itunes but it only installs quicktime and bonjure. but no Itunes. and when it is almost done installing my whole screeen goes black and I have to move my mouse around to see things again.
    any idea when linux will crack the ipod touch so we can use it on our computer?

ohhh yeah the black screen...that's because of the "advanced gdi" graphics option or whatever in quicktime. I used to get that. You have to get into the options and click the safe mode (gdi only) if I remember correctly.

I just tried to install iTunes 8.1 and the installer failed during setup. I know for a fact that iTunes 7 worked for me. Like I said though, it was really, really choppy and unusable for playing music. Maybe you can use it to manage the media on your ipod but I wouldn't recommend it for playing music. You can always point amarok to your iTunes library and it will contain the same music as iTunes.

You should give gtkpod a whirl; I find it works really well for managing the content of your iPod.
    Linux user #367409

Good tip with the GDI option there gamblor01, mental note
    Amarok is good and the option to use a MySQL backend is great and fast for large collections

aTunes is good also but I've found some buggy Java issues with the display.

Songbird is pretty good also and being built off the Mozilla codebase it's very customizable and has some good iPod plugins also.

What bothers me most about iTunes is it's library system. You can't easily move the library without borking the whole thing up. I have no bias against Apple but I do prefer apps that I can use

What bothers me most about iTunes is it's library system. You can't easily move the library without borking the whole thing up.
    I don't think I have ever had that problem though I must confess I don't remember how many times I have tried or the amount of songs I had. I seem to remember an XML file storing all of the information was stored in the iTunes directory. Did you copy that over as well?

Still in progress

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead101 View Post
    okay so I looked up on how to install Itunes with wine on linux downloaded itunes downloaded Wine went into the terminal and did the right commands but I keep on getting an error with BAD EXE. so if anyone could point me in the right direction from here I would be much obliged.
    Just have a little patience, my friend. The WINE is still being built and tested. Its not by any means finished and trying to use it now would be...trying. Better use something else you might like. The word I get from Cambridge is that it won't be long and it will be very crufty.

You could also give Playonlinux a try, they have a script to install iTunes with wine. I've actually come to prefer using that for wine with anything, it's starting to even replace Cedega for me