need home fax service

Thread: need home fax service

need home fax service

My wife is going to need to be able to fax stuff, and we were thinking about setting up a home fax line. The problem is, I'm not entirely sure that we are getting a home phone (we close on our first house in about 3 weeks).

I was actually thinking about getting Ooma for my phone service, and they say it is possible to send faxes with their service...I'm just not sure about receiving faxes. Also, I know that in the past when companies got my old number as somehow being a fax line, I would get calls at like 3AM with a loud beeping on the other end...it was really irritating and there was no way to tell who it was. I would almost prefer to have a dedicated fax line instead of getting annoying beeping in my ear at random times.

Anyone know of a low cost way to get a dedicated fax line (in the US)? I'm just hoping for like $5/month or something.
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

You may want to look at online fax services. No phone line or equipment hastle, and no ringing phone at 3AM. Since it's email based, they work with Linux. I have had no trouble sending the very odd free fax using something like faxzero.

http://www.faxcompare.com/

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

What if we just buy a fax machine and plug it into a standard phone line? Does that work or do you need some sort of "special" phone line (or plan) in order to send a fax? If you have a "regular" phone line are there extra charges associated with sending a fax out?

I was seriously debating getting the Ooma service for my primary phone line, and I figured that I could just call AT&T and get them to setup a single phone line in our house to be used for faxing. It also looks like Ooma supports faxing as well, though I do not know if there is some extra charge associated with it...there doesn't seem to be.
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor01 View Post
    What if we just buy a fax machine and plug it into a standard phone line? Does that work or do you need some sort of "special" phone line (or plan) in order to send a fax? If you have a "regular" phone line are there extra charges associated with sending a fax out?

I was seriously debating getting the Ooma service for my primary phone line, and I figured that I could just call AT&T and get them to setup a single phone line in our house to be used for faxing. It also looks like Ooma supports faxing as well, though I do not know if there is some extra charge associated with it...there doesn't seem to be.
    I've got a service called 'distinctive ring'. One is charged for that and probably for long distance. Obviously not for a toll free number. Anyway, distinctive ring is a second number on the same line. You house number rings one way, the second number rings differently. Lets you know not to answer it. Might check into that. I think it's cheaper that a separate phone line all together.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

For me, I know that the cheapest possible phone line is about $20/month. No services, no long distance, etc. There is no extra charge for sending faxes though, it is a normal telephone call (long distance can apply) over DS0 that, when answered, negotiates that pipe to 9.6 or 14.4 (the lovely tones you hear once you answer the phone from a fax machine).

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    I have a really good one. I have VOIP, so, I'd have to pay extra for a fax line. http://www.smartfax.com This service is like 6 dollars and change a month and they support faxing from email. I love them!
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Yeah I kind of think that it would be better to purchase a normal fax machine. My wife is going to have to fax documents off after every day of work and our scanner is pretty slow. It would be annoying to sit there and scan each page separately and attach it all to an email. The much easier option is to just put it into a tray and let the machine automatically feed the pages through and send off the fax.

It looks like Ooma supports faxing (best effort, but it apparently seems to work) so I'll just try that for now. Thanks for the info though -- good to know you can just plug it into any ol' phone line!

If you only need to SEND fax, you can use GotFreeFax.com to send free fax online without monthly fee. If you need to receive fax, there is www.K7.net that gives you a fax number and lets you receive fax in email for free.

I use this one online:

http://faxzero.com/
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Ever wondered how to fax from PC? In case you need to know about it then here we will help you in this matter. *** deleted *** is another one that can be trusted. Keep in mind that to do it you are supposed to utilize an online service, so just go for FaxZero, open it and add sender information. As a second step you are supposed to add your recipient's details before selecting the option of choose files. Then choose a document and tap the option of open. Now add a cover page and enter the configuration code here. In the end, scroll till you come to the option of Send Free Fax Now and then press it. Another option would be purchasing a fax modem USB dongle. These dongles are inexpensive and work on almost any PC with a USB slot. You are just supposed to plug the USB dongle into your PC and then start your OS’s faxing software.

*** Link removed by site moderator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.***

Disclosure

*** deleted *** is a participant in ... an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to ... or one of its foreign companies.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; 05-31-2019 at 09:37 AM.