Recording online sound

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording online sound

Recording online sound

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 8.04
    gnome-sound-recorder 2.22.0

It is a simple recorder easy to use. But I can't find out how to add further recording after pressing [Stop]. Please advice how to continue recording instead of restarting a new recording.

Or is there any way adding .wav files? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Try using Audacity.

Code:
    $ sudo aptitude install audacity

Quote Originally Posted by i845_ View Post
    Try using Audacity.

Code:
    $ sudo aptitude install audacity
    Hi i845_,

Thanks for your advice.

I have Audacity installed and running on this box for sometimes. Previously I can't get it configured to record online sound. This time I sort out the problem. Now it can record online sound but I can't get the file.wav played back. The bar indicator continues moving with output indicated. But there is no sound. The loudspeaker is already set to nearly max.

Any advice. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    Now it can record online sound but I can't get the file.wav played back. The bar indicator continues moving with output indicated. But there is no sound. The loudspeaker is already set to nearly max.
    Does the waveform indicator show you waveforms? Or is it a flatline? I'm suspecting Audacity isn't being able to capture your audio at all... all that's getting captured is silence.

...record online sound...
    Are you trying to capture some sort of audio that's being streamed over the Internet? Something like a Shoutcast/Icecast broadcast?

There are *other* tools to capture stuff like that.
    Last edited by i845_; 07-01-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Does the waveform indicator show you waveforms? Or is it a flatline? I'm suspecting Audacity isn't being able to capture your audio at all... all that's getting captured is silence.

Are you trying to capture some sort of audio that's being streamed over the Internet? Something like a Shoutcast/Icecast broadcast?

There are *other* tools to capture stuff like that.
    No, the file.wav has no problem. It can be played back on "Totem Movie Player 2.22.1".

B.R.
    satimis

Have you set up your playback & recording devices correctly? By default, Audacity sets both to OSS: /dev/dsp.

You can change it by clicking on Edit | Preferences | Audio I/O.

Also, try taking a look at the recording walkthrough (Help | Show welcome message | Record).
    Last edited by i845_; 07-01-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Have you set up your playback & recording devices correctly? By default, Audacity sets both to OSS: /dev/dsp.

You can change it by clicking on Edit | Preferences | Audio I/O.

Also, try taking a look at the recording walkthrough (Help | Show welcome message | Record).
    Hi i845_,

Now following settings work on both recording and playback

Playback
    Device: JACK Audio Connection Kit: system

Recording
    Device: ALSA :HDA NVidia: AD198x Analog (hw: 0,0)

Other settings same as your images.

For unknown reason the device "JACK Audio Connection Kit: system" on the drop down window would disappear occasionally. Re-start Audacity did not get it back. Must reboot the PC to get it back.

Furthermore the sound on playback is NOT very clear. The loudspeaker slide adjacent to the mic on right top corner has no effect. However the sound file.wav plays very clear on "Totem Movie Player 2.22.1".

Where shall I check to solve the problem? TIA

Besides after playing online sound clip, exit and relogin are a must. Otherwise the sound file.wav won't work on either "Audacity" and "Totem Movie Player 2.22.1"

B.R.
    satimis

Try setting both playback & recording devices to ALSA: HDA NVidia: AD198x Analog (hw: 0,0).

You could also try combinations of ALSA: HDA NVidia: AD198x Analog (hw: x,y) [and not ALSA: HDA NVidia: AD198x Digital (hw: x,y)], but then I don't think that'll be necessary.

Try setting both playback & recording devices to ALSA: HDA NVidia: AD198x Analog (hw: 0,0).

You could also try combinations of ALSA: HDA NVidia: AD198x Analog (hw: x,y) [and not ALSA: HDA NVidia: AD198x Digital (hw: x,y)], but then I don't think that'll be necessary.
    Hi i845_,

It is quite strange here. After starting Audacity

"JACK Audio Connection Kit: system" disappears. Playback does not work now.

Tried;
    Playback
    Device: HDA NVidia: AD198x Analog (hw: 0,0)
    before. It did not work.

B.R.
    satimis

The following playback devices work on my setup (it utilizes a Realtek ALC888 chip):

OSS: /dev/dsp
    ALSA: HDA Intel: ALC888 Analog (hw:0,0)
    ALSA: front
    ALSA: surround40
    ALSA: surround51
    ALSA: surround71
    ALSA: dmix

It's obvious that Jack is malfunctioning on your setup. You need to run some trial-and-error tests, and find a device that works.

The following playback devices work on my setup (it utilizes a Realtek ALC888 chip):

OSS: /dev/dsp
    ALSA: HDA Intel: ALC888 Analog (hw:0,0)
    ALSA: front
    ALSA: surround40
    ALSA: surround51
    ALSA: surround71
    ALSA: dmix

It's obvious that Jack is malfunctioning on your setup. You need to run some trial-and-error tests, and find a device that works.
    Hi i845_,

Non of the devices on the Playback device window can work for me, except "JACK Audio Connection Kit: system".

Selecting other devices following error popup;
    Code:
    Error while opening sound device.  Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate
    I found following thread having the same problem;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=506356

I'm not going to install audiooss nor alsa-oss. Because I have a working device "JACK Audio Connection Kit: system".

The problem of its disappear is supposed on account of playing the online sound files. After playing them I must exit and relogin before getting it back. This problem happens to other multimedia software such as Movie Player. Exit and relogin is a must before getting them to work. This problem has been here sometimes. I don't find a solution. Any suggestion? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I tried replicating your problem on my machine. Everything works perfectly with both playback & recording devices set to JACK Audio Connection Kit: system.

Quote Originally Posted by i845_
    It's obvious that Jack is malfunctioning on your setup.
    I was probably wrong there!

JACK Audio Connection Kit: system disappears... must re-boot/exit and re-login.
    The Jack audio server is probably getting killed. Try shutting down Audacity, and then execute

Code:
    $ jackd -d alsa
    Now restart Audacity, and see if the entries are back. BTW, on my machine, with the Jack audio server running, the ALSA Analog entries disappear (Jack probably uses ALSA as the backend...)

Some links that might be of help to you: link, link, link. I'll try searching the Internet for a more stable solution. Stay tuned.

[freaky_idea]

You could try using a script like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

killall jackd             # Step 1. We kill all existing Jack servers (if any)
    jackd -d alsa &           # Step 2. We start a new Jack server as a background process (with ALSA as the backend)
    audacity                  # Step 3. We start Audacity
    killall jackd             # Step 4. Once our work with Audacity is done, we kill the Jack server we created in Step 2
    Save it as a text file with a .sh extension. Then, make it executable, and run it...

Code:
    $ cd path/to/the/directory/where/the/script/is/stored
    $ chmod +x insert_a_name_here.sh
    $ ./insert_a_name_here.sh
    Works like a charm on my setup.

This problem happens to other multimedia software such as Movie Player. Exit and relogin is a must before getting them to work. This problem has been here sometimes. I don't find a solution.
    Try fiddling around with your audio settings to see what works. I'm attaching a screencap of my settings as a reference.

Last edited by i845_; 07-05-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Hi i845_

You could try using a script like this:

#!/bin/sh

killall jackd # Step 1. We kill all existing Jack servers
    jackd -d alsa & # Step 2. We start a new Jack server as a background process (with ALSA as the backend)
    audacity # Step 3. We start Audacity
    killall jackd # Step 4. Once our work with Audacity is done,
    $ killall jackd
    Code:
    jackd: no process killed
    $ jackd -d alsa &
    Code:
    jackd 0.109.2
    Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
    jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
    [1] 13077
    satimis@vz0:~$ loading driver ..
    creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
    control device hw:0
    the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the application using it and run JACK again
    cannot load driver module alsa
    no message buffer overruns
    (hanging here)
    [Ctrl] + c
    Code:
    [1]+  Done                    jackd -d alsa
    to exit

Try fiddling around with your audio settings to see what works. I'm attaching a screencap of my settings as a reference.

The settings here are same as yours except;
    Default Mixer Tracks
    Device : Capture: ALSA PCM on front:0 (AD192x Analog) via

I think there must be something locked. It requires -> exit -> relogin to free it.

B.R.
    satimis

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    $ killall jackd
    Code:
    That's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    $ jackd -d alsa &
    Code:
    jackd 0.109.2

[1] 13077
    the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the application using it and run JACK again
    (hanging here)
    That isn't okay at all... especially the lines in red. The point is that a Jack server must be up and running for Audacity to find. In your case, something's keeping the sound device busy. As such, Jack is unable to address it via ALSA, and hence, fails to load up. Shoot!

Try running this:

Code:
    satimis@vz0:~$ sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload
    You'll be shown something like this:

Code:
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/debayan/.gvfs
          Output information may be incomplete.
    Terminating processes: 9056lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/debayan/.gvfs
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/debayan/.gvfs
    Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-intel snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device snd-page-alloc.
    Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-intel snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device snd-page-alloc.
    The Volume Control applet will get killed as well. This is normal. You can click on Reload to get it back to work (it's a better idea to click on Reload after you've started the Jack server.)

Now run the script and see if it works. If everything goes well, you'll see something like this in the Terminal (following which, Audacity will open up...)

Code:
    debayan@Minuteman:~$ cd Desktop/
    debayan@Minuteman:~/Desktop$ cd Korg/
    debayan@Minuteman:~/Desktop/Korg$ ./testaudacity.sh 
    jackd 0.109.2

loading driver ..
    configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
    ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
    ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
    ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
    ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

(process:7598): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

(process:7598): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    If the technique mentioned above works for you, change the script to look like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

killall jackd                   # Step 1. We kill all existing Jack servers (if any)
    gksudo /sbin/alsa force-reload  # Step 2. We "restart" ALSA
    jackd -d alsa &                 # Step 3. We start a new Jack server as a background process (with ALSA as the backend)
    audacity                        # Step 4. We start Audacity
    killall jackd                   # Step 5. Once our work with Audacity is done, we kill the Jack server we created in Step 3
    Last edited by i845_; 07-05-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Hi i845_

After running the sound clips (online files), started Audacity and "JACK Audio Connection Kit" was found disappeared on Preferences. Started Movie Player but it can't play file.wav. The picture seems jumping slowly on screen.

Closed all of them and ran;

$ sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload
    Code:
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/satimis/.gvfs
    Terminating processes: 10298 11344 11514 11583lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/satimis/.gvfs
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/satimis/.gvfs
    Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-rtctimer snd-hda-intel snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-hwdep snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device.
    Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-rtctimer snd-hda-intel snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-hwdep snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device.
    The browser was shut down automatically.

Started Movie Player. This time it can play file.wav files. Started Audacity, "JACK Audio Connection Kit" still missed on Preferences.

Close all of them.

$ killall jackd
    Code:
    $ jackd -d alsa &
    Code:
    jackd 0.109.2

[1] 13707
    (it hangs here)
    Pressed [Ctrl]+c
    Code:
    [1]+  Done                    jackd -d alsa

"JACK Audio Connection Kit" found on Preferences. Both Audacity and Movie Player worked without problem.

Is there any way avoiding closing the browser and restart it? Thanks

B.R.
    satimis