Symbolic links unsupported, is it Samba?

Thread: Symbolic links unsupported, is it Samba?

Question Symbolic links unsupported, is it Samba?

I have a need to make a link to a document from a machine where the network is all set up to run as samba windoze shares (there are some windows desktops out there).

When I try to "make link" I'm told the target doesn't support symbolic links.

Needless to say any attempts with ls -s have met with similar frustration. This is in a Ubuntu/Gnome environment for what that's worth. I have not yet looked into permissions and am wondering if the problem is inherent with using Samba and what the best workaround may be?

Possibly this should be in newbies corner, but I thought maybe it could go in here.
    In the process of arriving at Debian after seeing the light with Bucky Badger, which will date me if we ever have a Zany Zebra

Symbolic Links

Try using the "-n" option (--no-dereference) when making your symbolic link. ie. ln -sn /existing_path /new_link_path

symbolic links have to be supported by the file system. It has nothing to do with samba. How are you trying to make the link? And what file system are you using?
    Registered Linux User #388117

The file system used is smb or cifs, they don't support sym-links.
    In pingvino veritas!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by x View Post
    The file system used is smb or cifs, they don't support sym-links.
    x gets the prize - my answer - thanks!
    In the process of arriving at Debian after seeing the light with Bucky Badger, which will date me if we ever have a Zany Zebra