Problem with win

Thread: Problem with win

Problem with win

I bought a laptop Dell inspiron 1545. the laptop had already ubuntu installed. Now id like to install windows xp on it, but when i boot from cd it gives me error, something like stoped to prevent damage to your computer ... STOP 0X000007B. I dont know if it even has something to do with linux.

You should be able to use Ubuntu's Gparted to resize the hard disk, create a partition in NTFS filing system and Xp's installer will put Windows inside.

Thereafter you PC will boot only to Windows but you can use a Linux Live CD to restore Grub to dual boot the two OSes.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Is that an older version of windows? Google search shows it a problem up through sp2, fixed sometime after.

True. OLder Xp does need SP3 slipstreamed into the CD to overcome some hardware issues.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Exclamation

without knowing the specifics regarding the Windows installation disk one can only make assumptions

full versions from Microsoft should install on almost all hardware

OEM recovery/reinstall versions will usually only work with the same equipment they were shipped with

and more often than not, OEM disks demand control of the complete hard drive which, of course, destroys any other partitions on that drive indiscriminately

as always, your mileage may vary, buyer beware, and buyer be aware

we now return you to your regularily scheduled programming

I have similar issues with using a NON SP3 XP CD on my Dell, so get a slipstreamed XP install CD.

I also have to change the SATA configuration in the bios to support "legacy"(??) something something, not the HDIC(??) something something profile.