You may be able to see the Grub boot menu created by menu.lst by using the CTRL-PageUP key sequence while at the Grub command prompt using a Live CD.

I recently created a Gparted Live 0.4.6-1 CD, booted it, and started grub from the terminal. While typing commands, I meant to use the Shift-Page up to scroll up the grub output, as I do at the normal bash terminal, and accidentally pressed Ctrl-PageUP. To my surprise I got the Grub Menu from the root partition.

I tested briefly by using the command 'root (hd0,?)' to change root partitions. Each time I saw the menu generated from the menu.lst files on the different partitions. I don't know if this is documented and/or is common knowledge. Also, it may be specific to my keyboard which is on a Dell Latitude D600. I did not work for me when starting grub while in an operating system.

I have been experimenting with multibooting with Grub. It can be difficult to determine which of the many menu.lst files is used to create the Grub menu when booting after new installs, etc.

One thing I have been doing, is creating a title in the 1st grub stanza of each menu.lst file that identifies the partition:

Code:
# menu.lst on sda1 which is the boot partition with no OS

title openSUSE 11.1 on sda7 with this menu.lst on sda1
rootnoverify (hd0,6)
chainloader +1
I hope this proves helpful to anyone troubleshooting multibooting with Grub

Homerun